IGNORED

Doofbutt mistake- how big a deal, recommended response... >>

BalancePoint

BalancePoint

My new (to me) 06 K12R, I changed the oil today and used Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil. I'm in Florida, and it's frickin' hot. I think I'm undergunned in terms of viscosity. Let it ride in the 95 degree heat for a cycle, worry about it and replace the oil($$) soon, or what. The manual gives 10W-40 a high side of 68 degrees. Recommended viscosity is 10 or 15W 50 or 60.

Thoughts?

My new (to me) 06 K12R, I changed the oil today and used Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil. I'm in Florida, and it's frickin' hot. I think I'm undergunned in terms of viscosity. Let it ride in the 95 degree heat for a cycle, worry about it and replace the oil($$) soon, or what. The manual gives 10W-40 a high side of 68 degrees. Recommended viscosity is 10 or 15W 50 or 60.

Are you sure you're reading that right? If so that's weird because the recommendation is 10W-40 for my K12GT (essentially the same engine), or 15W-40 as an alternate (and BMW is now recommending 5W-40 synthetic as well.) Nothing as high as 50 or 60-weight though.

Normally I'd say that you have nothing to worry about with a quality 10W-40 (it's hotter here than it is there :grin:), but if the manual really says that 10W-40 shouldn't be used above 68F then I'd follow the manual's recommendations. That just doesn't sound right to me though... the RepROM (service manual) says 10W-40, period.

BalancePoint

Are you sure you're reading that right? If so that's weird because the recommendation is 10W-40 for my K12GT (essentially the same engine), or 15W-40 as an alternate (and BMW is now recommendeing 5W-40 synthetic as well.) Nothing as high as 50 or 60-weight though.

Normally I'd say that you have nothing to worry about with a quality 10W-40 (it's hotter here than it is there :grin:), but if the manual really says that 10W-40 shouldn't be used above 68F then I'd follow the manual's recommendations. That just doesn't sound right to me though... the RepROM (service manual) says 10W-40, period.

I got that from a manual for an 06 K12S. Pretty much the same animal. Heck, I don't know. I don't have a manual for mine. Dunno...

Ford, FWIW, is recommending 5-20 for almost all it's vehicles year round.

Less viscosity=better mileage. Since this ain't an air cooled V twin, 10-40

ought to be fine for anywhere in the US.

Thoughts?

Dealer here in GA pushes 5W50 and 10W50... but the synthetics are much better than the standard oil...

I hear mixed results about the Amsoil products... so you might want to check how the oil looks after 3 or 4 months... or 1000 miles...

Regards -

-Bob

10/40 cASTROL dino for my '07 K12R.sport.

I tried the synth - but felt the clutch was having some problems hooking up - so i switched it after 1500 miles to the Castrol dino.

I'd stay 10/40 - I've heard that the oil openings don't like the -/50 grade viscocity.

just sayin'

Archived