IGNORED

Best sport riding tires

Gbutwhy

I have a 99 R1100RS that I enjoy alot. Times seem to come around all to often to where it's necessary to replace the tires. Up to now, I've ran nothing but Metzeler Z2s, Z4s, and now Z6's. The rear of all these seem to wear a flat wear pattern right in the middle of the tread as if one rides nothing but straight aways on the free ways. This is not the case at all. I try to ride all the twisties I can. The more the better, yet they tend to wear that way.

I noticed a lot of Michelin Pilots being ran at the last Torrey. Are they a better, compairable tire for the money without giving up any of the handling or long wear characteristics of the Metzelers? Dunlops I understand are a harder rubber compund and wear longer, but do you sacrifice handling, grip? I understand they tend to cup. I'd be interested in hearing of others' experience and opinions, as I must buy a new tire before the next Torrey.

Thanks

ShovelStrokeEd

I've got 10K on a 180-55 Pilot Road on the back of my S and the flat spot is barely 3" wide and not all that pronounced. Now my bike is probably ligher than your RS but add me at 230 or so and 60 lbs of luggage and there isn't going to be that much difference. I'd say the mix of riding has been 50/40/10 freeway to secondary roads to twisties. No grip issues and I expect I'll see at least 3K more from this tire. Its milage has been so good I might go to the sport next as an experiment and combine it with an even more agressive front.

It's beyond me how you guys get over 10K out of a rear tire. I think part of the problem is my 1200RT came with Bridgestones and I ride it hard. Next set is Metzler Z6's. Should grip good and get fair mileage.

Solo, no load: 32/36, loaded: 36/40. Because I am leaving on a long trip, I just took off a set of Z6's with 8k-9k miles on them and they had a good bit of meat left.

My RT came with Bridgestones which I neither liked nor disliked. When they were replaced, having bought nothing but Michelins for my cages for years, I tried a set of Pilot Roads and distinctly did NOT like their feel. I thought they felt "squirmy," even unstable, in a straight line. When the Pilot Roads were shot, I bought Z6's and REALLY liked the feel - stable, planted. A better and/or more aggressive rider would probably prefer the Pilot Roads, the Z6's suit me.

Modern motorcycle tires are all amazing by comparison to what we were riding on just a few years ago. Traction in the wet exceeds what I thought possible. Can't imagine what real racing rubber is like!

Michelin Pilot Roads are not really a sports tyre.

Pilot Powers (replaced Pilot Sports) are what I would call a sports tyre and I am currently running them.

Yes, the Pilot Powers do not seem quite as stable in high speed sweepers as my previous tyres (Bridgestone BT012) but they grip like 'shit to a blanket'.

Currently running 36/36 on a Suzuki SV1000

ShovelStrokeEd

I think a lot has to do with the way you ride. I tend to ride pretty fast but I would not say hard. My acceleration is pretty gentle, even with the S, and, aside from my weekly parking lot practice, I don't use the brakes all that hard either.

Throttle transitions, even in the twisties, tend to be smooth. All that adds up to a lot less loading on the rear tire.

If you are really seeking advanced tire life on your 1200RT, I am not sure Z6 will be the tire for you. Even with the 190 back there, they tend to lose that center pretty early. I would say you should probably try a Pilot Road. I am quite impressed with the one on the back of mine.

BTW, I don't find anything wrong with Bridgestones except for a tendency for the fronts to cup. My last set of tires were BT-010's and they gave excellent life and pretty good grip right up to the end. Now, I have to say, I wore these tires to the bitter end. No cord showing but tread worn right off. I ordinarily would not run them that far and hard but I was seeing how far they were willing to carry me. I chickened out before the tires failed me.

Thanks Ed. Very insightful post. I'm beginning to think the Bridgestones might not be as bad as I thought. The way I rode the bike the last two days, they should be gone by now but they actually have some real life left in them. I'll never make 10K though. Guess we all ride differently is a major part of the equation.

I just replaced my Bridgestone OE tires at 10.5k With the Metzler Z6 on my K1200GT. After putting on O few miles I spent a day and ran the "Tail of the Dragon" a few times. The Metzlers have better grip and handeling in these condition (for me).....I also did a wet road test on the Metzlers coming back from the Gap and the Metzlers stuck like glue in good hard rain at Speed.

I am looking forward to putting on a set of Michelin tires after I burn through this set...

ShovelStrokeEd

Stefan,

I'm curious. People keep describing their tires as having better grip and handling than XX brand. Could you define those terms for me. Do you really ride up to the tire sliding point on the street? Have you run timed runs back to back over the same road and actually gained time one tire over the other? Feel and ease of turn in are often confused with handling and I'd like to know your preceptions.

Thanks

Stefan,

I'm curious. People keep describing their tires as having better grip and handling than XX brand. Could you define those terms for me. Do you really ride up to the tire sliding point on the street? Have you run timed runs back to back over the same road and actually gained time one tire over the other? Feel and ease of turn in are often confused with handling and I'd like to know your preceptions.

Thanks

I'm with you. I have a theory. I think that a lot of guys get new tires at the beginning of the summer and are comparing the "feel" of their long worn out tires from the fall/winter before.

The only difference I've ever felt with tires (I don't race around on the road) was going from the stickiest Pilot Sports to Z4s. They didn't grip as hard on full-on ABS stopping.

For me. I am much more concerned with getting the 12k which I got outta those Z4 than the 3k I got outta those Sports. It's like they were a third the price, from where I stand.

-Eff

I recently dumped the stock pilot roads on my 12st, in favor of M1's. The roads had less than 3k miles on them, plenty of tread. I didn't like the PR’s handling, or grip. I don't go sliding through turns, in fact I just barely get to the edge of my tires. But, if the road is less than perfect(i.e. damp, sand, gravel, tar snakes...) the roads let loose making me loose confidence.

After I switched tires I was conscious of comparing the grip. Tar snakes are a lot less squirmy with the Metzlers. On one particularly bad road the PR’s squirmed in a straight line, not the M1’s. Small amounts of sand/gravel do not cause near as much slide, where the PR’s kicked out with just a few pebbles. The M1’s have a similar amount of slides with an unexpected damp spot, but a LOT better feel.

I have more confidence in the M1's. Not just because they grip a bit better in less than ideal conditions, but because they communicate a lot better than the roads. I can feel what’s going on with a slide, which helps me control it with the throttle.

The M1's were probably over kill for my style of riding, but I needed to get my confidence back from the horrible PR's. 700 miles with the M1’s and it’s back. Now that I've confirmed it's more of a feel thing than grip, I'll probably try Z6's when the M1's wear out. It'll depend on how many miles I get out of the M1's.

ShovelStrokeEd

John,

Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't have expected anything different. M1's are an all out sport tire and are much, much softer. They could be expected to have very different recovery charactaristics than would the Pilot Roads. Funny, I take my Pilot Road right to its edges and have never felt anything like you describe, ditto the squirmy feel. What kind of tire pressures where you running in them and what bike?

33/39 for pressure, on my R12st. I tried a few pounds +/- with basically the same results. When they were new, 1st 1k miles, I didn't have any grip issues with the PR's.

I had a similar experience with Pilot Sports on a Hayabusa, about 3 years ago. I know a lot of people love the pilots, so it's just me and the feedback I get from them. For some reason I just can't feel what the Pilots are doing compared to Metzlers, Bridgstones and Pirelli's I've run. The unexpected slides I get from the Pilots just doesn't work for me.

One possibility is the roads I ride, mostly in OH. If you're lucky you hit a 4 turn set of S's, but mostly it's a couple turns, then a good amount of straight. Maybe the Pilots don't hold heat after they're partly warn-out??

I'm with you guys too.

Tyres that came with my K100 were of the $60 (assuming $2 = £1) fitted variety (who knows what brand!) And I was happy enough with them. When I changed them, I put on BT45's, costing £170 fitted. Now whilst these 'felt' a lot more stable and grippy on white line and overbanding (tar snakes?) they were brand new tyres being run in the springtime, compared to tyres with 10k+ miles on them being run in the wet and cold of the British winter. A fair test?

Will be tempted to try the Pilot Roads if I can get them once the current set of tyres run out and I have a good idea of what sort of mileage I can get out of the BT45's over 2 sets of tyres.

If you're interested in a sport tire with minimal touring duty, I would recommend Pirelli Diablos. I found them very reliable and confidence-inspiring when pushed hard.

If you're interested in a sport tire with minimal touring duty, I would recommend Pirelli Diablos. I found them very reliable and confidence-inspiring when pushed hard.

I have them on my 954. Since Metzler and Pirelli are the same company, I'd bet the Diablos and M1's are the same compound with different tread design and profile. I like the M1 profile a little better. It's a bit more liniar, not as agressive in transitions.

aVON aZARR0 45/46 .. great mileage and stick in the twisties...great rain tire too..

Everybody here loves 'em...most everybody is runnin' the snot outta them too --

everything from VFR's to 'Busa's to KRS's to RT's to FJR's...pick your poison.

I got 3000 front and 1800/2000 rear (twice) from my Sportec M-1s. Very sticky, soft compound. Love that part. Also picked up various flat inducing objects (2 front, three rear) - way worse than any other tire I ever used. I have only had one other flat. I don't think it was coincidence, these things are sticky and pick up anything you might hit. One was a small twig that penetrated completely. Great tire for the track, but too expensive for street based on mileage and puncture risk. Of course, YMMV.

I have most recently run Dunlop 208s, two sets each front and rear. Mileage: about 4000, Reliability: no problems, Ridability: average, good grip 'til low on tread, then may slip w/o notice, nice profile, no wet weather experience.

Have also run Pilot Sports. Tried 'em twice, they stuck OK yet felt tentative at the same time? I like the Dunlops better. I will be mounting the new Pilot Powers soon.

I haven't tried the BT010/012 series or Diablo's yet. I think any of these tires offer outstanding performance and we really can't go wrong by mounting any. Whether I keep trying brands or develop a favorite will probably make little difference in my overall riding experience.

I will not, however, run the 205s that came as original equipment on both my Honda and BMW.

I am replacing the OEM D205's with ME880's...

Wearbars showed up on the rears at 7800 miles. about 5000 of those miles were with Deb on the back hence the worn center. I was running 40/43 2up.

Being as we have chip/tar roads in Texas (instead of concrete slab and tarmac as they were in Illinois)and Deb rides on the back of me when we are touring around, I went with the best TOURING tire and also the one with the deepest tread. I went with the ME880s because of those exact reasons plus I am not "shy" in the twisties and if they are good enough for Paul, they are good enough for me grin.gifgrin.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

So what is the ideal tire pressure for cold weather riding?

A lot depends on your religion in re these things. Some can be proven to depend on the model of your bike. R1100RS/RT with 18" wheel, R1150 with 17" wheel, 1100S, like mine, with 5.5" 17" wheel. I use the same technique for tire pressure determination and it differs somewhat from most.

Load the bike like you plan on riding it. Two up/single/luggage/expresso machine/whatever. Go for at least a 30 mile ride under the conditions you plan on meeting for whatever your planned duration. Slab/twisties/secondary roads.

Measure and adjust tire pressure to be a bit (10%) under the max inflation pressure indicated on the side wall of the tire. Ride some more and see if it changes.

This way, you avoid the chance of over inflation while keeping near to the maximum allowed for tire life. Many here and on other boards have mentioned that I get very good wear out of my tires. I attribute that to my strategy.

Case in point, my 1100S, with a 180/55-17 rear Pilot Road tire on the back is now at nearly 11K miles and is looking like an easy 13-14K before requiring replacement. More, if I could spend more time riding roads that actually curve. I shoot for around 40 lbs (hot) inflation pressure. I don't know the cold setting as I have never measured it. When setting out on a trip, I run up the highway till I need gas, check and adjust the inflation pressure and I'm usually good for the remainder of the trip. I don't bother to check day to day as I ride almost every day and that tends to keep the pressure up.

This is like opening a can of worms. Answers are going to be all over the place.

I loved the MZ-4's on my old RT, Dunlope 208's are the best for my Ducati 996 and I've gone to a set of Avon's 45&46 for my K1200RS.

What works for someone else may not be your cup of tea.

• 2 weeks later...
I got 3000 front and 1800/2000 rear (twice) from my Sportec M-1s. Very sticky, soft compound. Love that part. Also picked up various flat inducing objects (2 front, three rear) - way worse than any other tire I ever used. I have only had one other flat. I don't think it was coincidence, these things are sticky and pick up anything you might hit. One was a small twig that penetrated completely. Great tire for the track, but too expensive for street based on mileage and puncture risk. Of course, YMMV.

I think you jinxed me smile.gif Thursday I blew out the rear M1 with only 1k miles on it. It was a jagged 1/2" slit right in the center of the tire. Nothing in it, so I have no idea what caused the puncture. We were 100 miles from our hotel, and 400 miles from home at the time. I'm thinking that was the Last M1/Diablo I use on a long trip.

"Thursday I blew out the rear M1 with only 1k miles on it"

How fast were you going? How did you/the bike handle it? I'm curious about the best way to handle a blow out...

How fast were you going? How did you/the bike handle it? I'm curious about the best way to handle a blow out...

Doing about 60mph on straight section of road, 2-up, bags back at the hotel. The tire deflated pretty quickly. It felt like the bike was tracking in ruts in the road. There were no rutts smile.gif I let the bike slow down, and by 40mph it had gotten a little worse with some side-to-side motion coming from the back of the bike. I slowed down, soft braking, straight up and slowly pulled to the side of the road. I knew something was wrong, and avoided any over reactions, same as you'd do in a car with a blow-out. There was No drama. Tire was completely flat by time I stopped.

This spring I had a flat on my Ducati Multistrada. 3" screw through the bottom, and out the side of the tire. Also doing about 60mph. It was a similar experience, but a lot more side-to-side motion. It had the stock Pirelli SCORPION SYNC's. Even at walking speeds this tire would not stay straight on the rim, and flopped the bike around. The softer rubber of the M1 stayed straighter on the rim while flat.

Best advice I have is pay attention to what the bike is telling you. You will have time to react. Don't make any fast steering or braking inputs. Get to the side of the road safely, you'll be fine.

Gbutwhy -

Sounds like you are running your Z6 below optimal pressures or with an unusual or heavy weight distribution or suspension setup. I ride my RT hard and have gotten 8K out of a rear Z6 - which I attribute to keeping the cold pressure at 40-42 PSI, fastidiously checked on at least a weekly basis.

If by "sport" you REALLY mean sport - not just hoonish, fast, street riding, then neither the Z-6, Pilot Road, nor Pilot Sport fit the bill. And definitely NOT the Dunlop D208 - which is like riding on a sheet of ice! For really sporty performance you should go with the Michelin Pilot Powers or Metzeler Sportec Z-1, but don't expect more than about 5K miles of optimal performance - that's the trade-off.

Archived