IGNORED

Need Help Rebuilding a Side Case

Aluminum_Butt

Aluminum_Butt

Due to a mishap, I need to rebuild my side case. I ordered a new back and new rivet sets. The lid, hinges, and gasket are in good shape.

Removing and reattaching the lid looks pretty easy. But what about the lock mechanism? There are seven rivets that appear to be holding it inside the case - just drill these out? Any other advice?

TIA!

You have it under control. Just drill out those rivets as well. Then just rivet it into the new location. Pretty simply actually considering BMW engineered it.

Aluminum_Butt

Well, I got the rivets drilled out and the lock assembly loose. But I can't pull the lock out because there are boots on the "claws" that lock the lid. The boots are too large to go back through the hole, and I can't figure out a way to get them off. What am I missing?

Aluminum_Butt

That's what I'm trying to do as well. I've attached a picture to help explain. I've got the lock mechanism loose, but I can't pull it out because of the item I've marked with an arrow. If it weren't there, the silver bar that grabs the lid would easily slide out.

557801-Untitled-1.jpg.d6a29f329b22b430f1541bb71c8a40c0.jpg

Michael Fajans

The pin that holds the rubber "boot" on the "claw" needs to be knocked out and then pressed back in after installation of the mechanism into the inner case.

Aluminum_Butt

Thanks! I tried to push them out before. But, like so many problems in life, the solution was a hammer. grin.gif

Disassembly all done - now if the UPS guy would just get here...

Thanks again for the help. This board rocks!

Archived