IGNORED

Cold Weather Riding

celebrationrev

celebrationrev

In the past I've parked my bike sometime in Oct. and pulled it out in the spring. Gas prices have me thinking I will ride it in cold temps provided the roads are clear. (In west Michigan that's an issue intermittently through the winter.)

I got the RT last spring so I don't know what I'll find compared to the XS 1100 but I'm expecting better wind protection, and the heated grips will be helpful.

What items would you suggest I get to extend my riding as far into winter as possible? Electric clothing? Ballaclava? Other items?

Any ride advice?

c

What items would you suggest I get to extend my riding as far into winter as possible? Electric clothing? Ballaclava? Other items?

Any ride advice?

Sounds like a question a Canadian should answer so here goes...(I ride as long as it is just above freezing).

Gear.

1. A balaclava is a must along with a full face helmet.

2. Get yourself a nose-piece for your full face helmet. This typically attaches to the front edge of your helmet and deflects the breath from your nose/mouth down away from the visor (this is the only real anti-fog technique that works for me).

3. Electric clothing is a must for long commutes (1hr+). For shorter urban commutes, a good rain suit overtop of your riding gear or other insulating clothes should be fine.

4. Remove the toe guards (or install a set with holes in it) to get some warm air off the cylinder heads.

Riding Tips

1. Invisible ice is the worst enemy (your front tire will tend to slide out from under you without warning). I don't generally ride on days where the night time temperature has been well below freezing and no melting has had time to occur in the morning.

Greetings!

I use the Widder electric vest/arm chaps/gloves. This set up works very well under my 'stich. I've done 4 hours down I-75 in 30-35 degrees (sunny and dry) coming back from Gaylord and was very comfortable. I may invest in the leg chaps at some point, my knees get cold when it's 30 degrees or so.

Personally, I find the heated grips very nice if I get caught out in 40 degrees with my regular leather gloves, I would not rely on them solely when it's really cold out. They heat the palms of the hand and the airflow cools the backs...I always find the airflow winning and would consider my hands cold.

Lots of people here swear by Gerbings stuff, but I have no experience with their stuff.

The looks you get while commuting in the cold on the RT are well worth the price of admission! grin.gifthumbsup.gif

Best regards!

Jim

grizzly660fan

2. Get yourself a nose-piece for your full face helmet. This typically attaches to the front edge of your helmet and deflects the breath from your nose/mouth down away from the visor (this is the only real anti-fog technique that works for me).

what is this? I would be very interested in getting one of these. I have a lot of problems with fogging.

what is this? I would be very interested in getting one of these. I have a lot of problems with fogging.

Mine came with my Helmet (HJC AC-11), but I've seen some generic/after-market ones that attach with velcro. HJC did not have a picture of this little snap on piece on their site.

I'll upload a photo of mine and see if I can remember where I've seen one.

If you've ever seen a Formula-1 driver's helmet, it looks like a "mask" that extends from the helmet to your nose/cheeks.

How refreshing! We've had all these discussions on HOT weather, time for the cold stuff clap.gif I just picked up a BMW Phase change vest can't wait to try it out next weekend cool.gif We're hitting low 40's in the Sieeras. grin.gif

Funny you say that - I've shoei rf1000 and am talking with shoei about fogging problems. they sent me a new insert which attaches to the shield so it makes a two layer shield like skiing gogles - no fogging. Nose piece is a problem if you are wearing glasses - my glasses fog up when I use nose piece.

Mark

Archived