IGNORED

How much brake material is on new pads?

krussell

Took my RT in for the 24k service. Dealer says new tires and brakes now. Tires, no problem, I hate them anyway and have a new set of PR2s ready to put on. Brakes, well, ok, but they only have 11k on them.

So tonight I'm pulling the tires off, and I look at the pad wear. I'm showing a full bar left on the rear indicator, which according to the manual says I have more than 25% left there. On the front I can clearly see wear bars and rough measurement says I have 2.5mm of material left. My question is, on the fronts, or both for that matter, how much material does a new pad have. With 1.5mm to go am I 3/4 through them, 1/2 through them?

I don't plan on any major mileage trips, so I'm happy to keep an eye on them and get another few thousand or more if possible.

My 07 R12RT front pads have about 1k miles on them (EBC) and are approx. 5mm thick--so you're about 1/2 gone. However, you need to replace them before you're down to the metal, obviously. Mileage wise, I replaced mine at 20k so again you're around the mid-point. Be aware that on any given caliper one of the pads may wear more quickly than the other. Do yourself a favor and remove the front pads to get a really good look. It will take you about 5 minutes to do this--absolutely the easiest job on the RT. Remove one screw on the top of the caliper and out they come. (caliper remains attached to fork--no need to remove it)

Don_Eilenberger

Just a FWIW: The rear pads are different thickness (at least on the R1200R, and I believe all the hexheads..) The inside is significantly thinner right out of the box than the outside one. And the inside one always wears out first.. how about that..

I have a new set in the garage - have to measure.. hang on..

OK - brand new BMW pads PN 34 21 2 335 456

Inside pad material thickness: 2mm

Outside pad material thickness: 2.8mm

If you have 1.5mm left on the inside pad, you have LOTS of material left. If outside pad - you have about 1/2 left.

Just a FWIW: The rear pads are different thickness (at least on the R1200R, and I believe all the hexheads..) The inside is significantly thinner right out of the box than the outside one. And the inside one always wears out first.. how about that..

I have a new set in the garage - have to measure.. hang on..

If you have 1.5mm left on the inside pad, you have LOTS of material left. If outside pad - you have about 1/2 left.

Sounds like someone is trying to line their pockets on this one. Unless you are really stompin' on those brakes, you shouldn't have anywhere near the wear necessary for brake pad replacement now.

I replaced my rears at about 26K miles. At 30K I removed the fronts when I removed the Tire and checked. They have 50% left from new. Changing brake pads is a very easy job on the RT..

Sounds like someone is trying to line their pockets on this one. Unless you are really stompin' on those brakes, you shouldn't have anywhere near the wear necessary for brake pad replacement now.

Brake pad wear is highly variable - conditions, terrain, riding type, riding style. There is no 'too soon’ / ‘too long’. When they are down to the thickness limit – replace them. That’s the only consistent factor.

CoarsegoldKid

Thanks John.

Anyone know the front thickness

Maybe it's in the manual. I'll get back to this later.

OKAY according to the manual for a 1200RT

Front disc minimum thickness is 4mm

Front pad minimum thickness is 1mm

There is no indication between inner and outer pads or what new pads thickness should be.

Rear disc minimum thickness is 4.5mm

Rear pad thickness is 3 rings min of 75%

Rear pad thickness is 2 rings min of 50%

Rear pad thickness is 1 rings min of 25%

Rear pad thickness is less than 1 ring Replace pad

There is no indication between inner and outer pads or what new pads thickness should be.

Archived