IGNORED

Key blanks

NonComp

I need to have a spare key made for my '96 r1100r. Do I have to go to the dealer for this, or has anyone been successful in going to an ordinary key maker and finding a suitable blank to have a key made?

DavidEBSmith

You can go to any key shop. Don't tell them it's for a motorcycle, they'll say they can't do it. Just tell them it's an X59 BMW2 blank.

On edit: I found this extensive cross reference:

Kaba Ilco X59 BMW2

Cole BM2

Dominion HF39

ESP BM2

Silca BM7

Taylor X59

If you want the plastic-headed key blank try here.

I need to have a spare key made for my '96 r1100r. Do I have to go to the dealer for this, or has anyone been successful in going to an ordinary key maker and finding a suitable blank to have a key made?

I just went to my local MrMinute cobblers store and he pulled a blank from his bunch and ground one for me there and then.

PS it worked too!!!

Andy

Local Ace hardware. works perfectly- $2.49. They had 2 size blanks- one much larger than the other- so make sure they find the one you want.

You can go to any key shop. Don't tell them it's for a motorcycle, they'll say they can't do it. Just tell them it's an X59 BMW2 blank.

On edit: I found this extensive cross reference:

Kaba Ilco X59 BMW2

Cole BM2

Dominion HF39

ESP BM2

Silca BM7

Taylor X59

If you want the plastic-headed key blank try here.

Thanks for the cross-reference numbers. Are these for any year/model R1100?

I got an interesting look from a BMW service manager with one of my keys, which is a standard, headless spare, but with a Honda plastic head. I cut the metal key head down slightly, then heated it and slipped on the Honda plastic cover while hot, so that it would mold to the key.

DavidEBSmith

Thanks for the cross-reference numbers. Are these for any year/model R1100?

I believe they are for all model/year R1100.

Archived