IGNORED

Drops cylinder when wet

Russ - deeppurple52

Russ - deeppurple52

As I mentioned in a previous post, our 11RT drops the right cylinder when I wash the bike. It will run on 1 lung for about 5 miles or so until it drys out. I had the plastic off today and used a spray bottle to troubleshoot. I started with the plug wire.. On the second squirt the engine quit. I got nothing else wet. I have examined the wire closely and can see no cracks, breaks, dings, etc. I was able to repeatedly duplicate the problem. So.... I have to order new wires but we are leaving on a long trip early Friday. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from quitting in the rain?

Unhofliche_Gesundheit

i have seen a spray on sealant for this application

used it on an MG B GT years ago that also didnt like the rain.

i dont recall the name of the product. i dont recall it doing much good either.

realshelby

Depending on where the actual short circuit is ocurring you may find that hi-dielectric silicone grease will make a BIG difference. I have used it many times to stop spark from going down the outside of the spark plug on high output ignition systems. It should help in your application also. If you know about where it is shorting I would apply a liberal amount of the grease in that area.

Jerry Duke

New wires should take care of the problem. Unless your coil is starting to crack and go bad. Depending on your trip and the age of the bike, I might consider replacing the coil as a precaution.

BMW Chicago gives a 20% discount.

As I mentioned in a previous post, our 11RT drops the right cylinder when I wash the bike. It will run on 1 lung for about 5 miles or so until it drys out. I had the plastic off today and used a spray bottle to troubleshoot. I started with the plug wire.. On the second squirt the engine quit. I got nothing else wet. I have examined the wire closely and can see no cracks, breaks, dings, etc. I was able to repeatedly duplicate the problem. So.... I have to order new wires but we are leaving on a long trip early Friday. Is there anything I can do to prevent it from quitting in the rain?

Russ, see if you can isolate the problem area (I have seen some where the wire gets rubbed by the R/H TBI cam so the insulation is worn away in that area,, then they short to the TBI cam easily..

If you can find your problem you can slide a piece of that black split convoluted tubing (wire covering) over the wire to insulate it & hold it away from the engine farther..

Did you look closely at the spark plug itself? In you have a slight crack or carbon tracing on the plug porcelain it will act just like a wet wire when it gets wet..

Also make darn sure the wire isn’t partially pulled out of the ign coil (somewhat common happening)..

Twisty

Archived