IGNORED

1150 RT - Nose / Headlight Fairing Reattachment

tobyzusa

So, on a recent trip out West, I burnt 4 headlight/fog lamp bulbs.

I think I got some moisture in the headlight, causing the near simultaneous failures.

A helpful BMWSTer, with the best of intentions, tried to remove the high beam through the rear escape hatch. Unfortunately, the silver metal collar ended up inside the sealed headlight contraption, So, I pulled off the tupperware to reclaim the collar. NP. Replaced all four bulbs, and they are working delightfully, but...I gave up at 1:00 this morning on getting the mirror mount holes to line up with the mount holes on the nose fairing. I muttered the BMW maintenance chant three times to no avail. Anyone know the secret to the re-install before I try again tonight?

If I don't get a response, I'll pro'lly just pull out the big hammer and have at it.

Thanks in advance.

You got the two guide pin gizmos seated correctly, didn't you?

The ones just behind and slightly left and right of the headlight.

You got the two guide pin gizmos seated correctly, didn't you?

The ones just behind and slightly left and right of the headlight.

Yes

Dang. I'm getting out the hammer. An I really the only person that's ever had this issue? Thought there must be a secret to it.

but...I gave up at 1:00 this morning on getting the mirror mount holes to line up with the mount holes on the nose fairing. I muttered the BMW maintenance chant three times to no avail. Anyone know the secret to the re-install before I try again tonight?

Can you explain more in depth what your problem is.

Are you trying to re fit the mirror?

If so, I'm sure you have done it before, but it is just a case of applying a little Vaseline to the 3 pins on the fairing. Line up the 3 sets of tangs on the mirror, and with the palm of your hand, strike the mirror housing firmly in the direction of the centre of the motorbike.

Also is the front fairing located properly. It is easy to loose the metal bushes that sit inside 2 rubber bushes.if not fitted the fairing wants to sit low.

Andy.

Starfighter

I know what you're saying...

First time I also thought there was a "secret"

sometimes the headlight adjuster cable gets caught between.......

Juan_in_a_million

The only trick is PATIENCE. I have an 1100 RT and I dread to remove the front fairing because it is a bear to install back. Just make sure that everything aligns (Not easy). In my case there are 3 studs that have to go through the bracket. Plus make sure that, as somebody mentioned before, you're not catching any wires or other stuff. It is possible, believe me. It just takes time and PATIENCE.

Juan Antonio

Can you explain more in depth what your problem is.

They are many and varied, and not fit for public consumption.

But to the issue at hand, the bushings are in place and fitted into the two holes. I next loosely fitted two of the three mirror pins on the right side. I emphasis loosely. Haven't put the third in yet, but could as it aligns properly.

Went to the left side. One mirror pin lined up with a bit of work. The other two are off by about an inch, but I can't figure out why. Seems that the nose needs to tip up or down (don't remember which) to align, but I can't get there.

Starfighter

Hmmmmmmm

seems like I never took those mirror pins out,

just the one in the hole under the mirror (surrounded by the three mirror pins.......................

It's done. Came home from work early. It's amazing how a little light can help the situation. Braile is not always the best method. THanks for all the suggestions. I just needed to see what I was doing.

Archived