IGNORED

Magnetic Plugs

Syro

moshe_levy

Wunderlich makes a magnetic oil plug for Oilheads for a very reasonable price. P/N for my 2004 Oilhead is 1854012 and the actual plug is as shown here

wunderlichplug.jpg

I've replaced my stock Oilhead plug with the Wunderlich model and monitor the magnets for any signs of debris at every oil change. So far, no issues!

-MKL

I also bought the Wunderlich mag plug and it ended up rusting on me so I threw it away. Seems like it was $10 and only lasted 3 years. On the other hand, the magnetic part worked real well...

moshe_levy

Mine is rusty on the outside as well, but the mating surface and the rest is fine, so I continue to use it. I would have paid a little extra for a corrosion resistant exterior, but alas I don't see any alternatives available...

-MKL

Moshe -

Do you know the length of the threads?

I found a site that sells 2 versions....ceramic and neodymium magnets

moshe_levy

Perry-

No, I don't know, not sure at all. This one works fine - even if it's rusty on the outside, it's not really in a spot where one can see it.

-MKL

A friend of mine told me that apart from the magnetic plug for the main engine oil there are others that replace the original plugs.(i recall one for the tranny,one for the crank) Has anyone checked them out or installed them?

I have magnetic plugs on the final drive, tranny and engine on my 2002 R1150RT.

I get the most minute quantity of grey "mud" (more like a smear than a build-up) from the final drive and tranny and nothing on the engine since the motor loosened up at around 25,000Km.

I'm also a heretic and have installed the K&P stainless steel oil filter (reusable) and they have a rare earth magnet installed as well. There's never anything of note there either so I've concluded that the oil filter is doing a sterling job or my engine simply doesn't wear...

Linz :)

I get the most minute quantity of grey "mud" (more like a smear than a build-up) from the final drive and tranny and nothing on the engine since the motor loosened up at around 25,000Km.

Transmission and FD have gears made of steel. That "mud" is from those components and is normal. On the other hand, crankcase oil sees mainly the aluminum innards of the engine and the combustion residue (soot) of fossil fuel. The oil filter would trap any ferrous bits before a magnetic drain plug could collect enough to even see. I'm not sure I see any diagnostic or therapeutic benefit here.

Archived