IGNORED

Hall Effect Sensor cheaper solution ?

Syro

Amigos after paying (during my Italy trip) almost 500 Euros at the local BMW dealer for the Hall Sensor (the original part) i began to search for a cheap solution. I managed to located something which i trust along with the use of the well known pdf file that is familiar to everyone will do the job cheaply enough.

I tried myself to located only the spare Honeywell built sensors and fix a spare Hall Sensor but the final price of each sensor from the web shop dealers along with the freight charges reached almost 100 euros for both of them.

I located this firm http://www.chenyang-ism.com/Products.htm and found out that he infact is building hall sensors for Audi and VW !!!

The relative HoneyWell alternative sensor (Honeywell 2AV54) is Chen Yang CYHME56 and as you will see if you check out the firm's site is much much much cheaper !!! and better build to long last(pls refer to the pdf files with the technical data sheets)

That is interesting however, it is not usually the HES itself that fails, rather it is the wiring that has degraded from being strapped to a hot motor. It is nearly always possible to repair the HES by removing the wires and fitting new high-temperature wires in their place. This is a MUCH cheaper option that also fixed the base problem - the wrong type of wire.

Andy

I think I would be hesitant to use a Chinese replacement. This is a pretty brutal application in terms of heat and environmental conditions and the Honeywell part is a known quantity (in a good way since the sensors themselves rarely fail, as Andy correctly noted.) With the original part costing all of $12.50 each (and usually outlasting the bike) I don't see why one would want to experiment with alternatives.

I just went through a Hall sensor replacement on my '98RT with 92K. I found that it was indeed the wire and not the sensor that had failed. Considering the amount of labor it takes to uncover this little gem I opted to replace the entire assembly. I looked all over for the best price and found that Euro Motoelectrics in Golden, Colorado had the best price. I paid about $209 plus shipping for an original Bosch assembly.

I just went through a Hall sensor replacement on my '98RT with 92K. I found that it was indeed the wire and not the sensor that had failed. Considering the amount of labor it takes to uncover this little gem I opted to replace the entire assembly. I looked all over for the best price and found that Euro Motoelectrics in Golden, Colorado had the best price. I paid about $209 plus shipping for an original Bosch assembly.

If you fitted an original, the same fault will appear again some time into the future as they still have the unsuitable wiring.

Andy

Archived