IGNORED

GEAR Indicator

GAUTENG - RSA

GAUTENG - RSA

Hi All,

After being a lurker for a while, I have subscribed to this informative group.

After having my XJ750 standing under a tree for almost ten years, I decided that to get back on a bike was going to cost less to buy another, than spend time and money pulling roots out of the mnachine standing under the tree.

I decided on an BMW R12ooRT and I have not looked back since the purchase in march '07.

I have noticed, that most times when my bike gets washed, there is a problem with the GEAR INDICATOR.

Has anybody else had this experience, found the actual cause and found a "fix"?

The gear indicator is controlled by a potentiometer/variable resistor mounted on the rear of the transmission near the output shaft. If this seems to be water related I would suspect it’s getting into the pot. or the connector to it from the main wiring harness. You / the shop, will have to do some tracing.

If you discover that your potentiometer needs replacement - I can tell you that it is possible to be done with minimal removal of parts. By removing the left side tupperware you will be able to access the upper TORX headed bolt by using a 1/4 inch 12 pt box end wrench....the bottom bolt can be removed from under the bike. Put both the transmission and potentiometer in neutral position and reassemble. Make sure that the O-ring is in proper position.

Archived