IGNORED

A day with Jamie is a day well spent

TC92606

I got the chance to meet up with Jamie, Bob, and Dennis today (Sunday, July 5th) at Jamie's place in San Diego for a nice little Tech Day. All I can say is WOW. The knowledge Jamie was able to share was above and beyond my tiny little brain's imagination.

In one day, we helped Bob clean out his bike's air filter, flushed and changed brake fluids, change brake pads, lube the spline, flush and change clutch fluids, changed the fuel filter in the tank, installed quick releases on a few pipes, drained the FD, Gearbox, and Engine oils, AND managed to squeeze in a one-hour lunch break for some kick ass burritos. Man, this was a great day.

Jamie, thanks for your hospitality and showing me and Dennis all the great tricks on how to work on an RT bike. I have to take my hat off to you for all the homemade stuffs you built. They are incredible.

Bob, have a safe trip to Korea. Bummer that we didn't get to meet earlier and you will be leaving for Korea to station there several years. Ride safe and visit us often through the forum.

Dennis, thanks for showing me how to remove the mirrors and the idea of putting in a leash to keep them from falling off. And of course, we all appreciate you making the trip to pick up the food for us. That was some good burritos.

All in all, I had an amazing time learning about my bike and met some really great guys. Summer is here, let's all go out and have some fun. Ride safe, everyone.

Hah! (Hey, Toyo! "Mama Hoon" had to move your post: Ride (or 'Renching) Tales have their own forum! :) )

I was going to name my post "Spreading the love", but you beat me posting so I'll just respond to your post.

Had another GREAT day in the garage today wrenching with my buddy Bob "1stShirt" and a few newbies to the family here: Toyo "TC92606" and Dennis "Bigfish". :wave:

Bob and his lovely bride SunJoo came out for the 4th of July holiday from Sierra Vista, AZ under the guise of doing some prep work to his bike before they return to Korea for 2-6 years (the actual duration is still under negotiation :Wink: ). He's shipping his bike over this time, so he wanted to tie up any loose servicing ends before the trip over (even though there's a BMW dealer in Seoul). We always look forward to seeing them both for any reason whatsoever so any excuse they need is fine by us. :)

I'm hoping our newbie friends will post up some pics and impressions of the day. They both were practically drinking from the fire hose of Beemer wrenching knowledge today. We never got to Maynard's basic servicing, but we did a lot of stuff to Bob's bike that would normally be covered in a "200 series" class and we even touched on a few "300 series" class topics as well! :grin:

It was cool to meet some kindred spirits who really reminded me of the wide-eyed Beemer neophyte that I was back in 2000 when I first stumbled on Cary's site oh those many years ago. I've learned a lot from folks here (almost all of what I know of Beemers) and it's an honor to pass along some of the wisdom I've gleaned from all of you. :thumbsup:

. . . as my brother Gleno used to say: "I LOVE Newbies! . . . they taste like chicken!" . . . or in our case it was more like pollo asado (and carne asada) burritos! :rofl:

I'm just trying to do my part to pay back the debt I owe this great place. Paying it back--or paying it forward--that's what it's all about, isn't it? And don't worry, my brother: I'm still spreading the love. :Cool:

Oops..... Didn't know where to put our tale and figured "Motorcycle Talk" sounds about right. I know where to put these stories in the future now :)

Proud to be a newbie as everyone has to start somewhere. I remember knowing nothing when I used to own Japanese bikes and had many friends showing me how to changes and modify things here and there. Now with BMW's, the whole process starts all over again. It's always a good feeling knowing that you are learning something new about your own machine. Not to mention when you get to smell or touch some toxic stuffs along the way :grin:

Again, thanks to Jamie for a great day. A couple more visits and a few beers later, I'll be ready for a real ride :)

Bill_Walker

I'm glad to hear you got a chance to learn from the Master!

BTW, I wholeheartedly agree with your subject line. Any day with Jamie is a day well spent.

Oh, and on top of wrenching, Jaime shared some Iron Butt tales, too. (For those unfamiliar with the Iron Butt Association, check it out at www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts) ;)

Dennis and I (the newbies) dropped our jaws when we heard of the requirements to earn those license plate frames... Did I hear BunBurner GOLD? BBG3000? 10-10ths? You Iron Butt people are crazy, I tell ya, crazy... :thumbsup:

What a holiday weekend! Spent some precious time with Princess KayLee who took me and JEEWW on a train ride as well as making sure that it was I, not Jamie who got the Brass Ring. ;):P;) Sorry Jamie, you have to have a pair to get the brass ring. :P:P:P Watching the "works" go "boom boom" with Nanny, Upah, Upah's mom, the Princess and JEEEWW while having pizza and wine was a perfect end to the day.

The next day brought back memories of myself as Toyo and Dennis showed up to listen, learn and ask lots of questions. As always, Jamie had the answer to every question and threw in answers to many questions that weren't even asked (that's why it can take two hours to do a 10 minute job :lurk::lurk::lurk: But as with most "wrenchin" opportunities in this community those two hours will be paid back tenfold). Manyard went neglected, but new friendships were formed and old ones reinforced. Jamie kept asking me "Haven't you finished that yet", but I know better than to get in the professors way when he's giving classes to freshmen. And as he mentioned, many sophmore and junior subjects were covered as well.

My bike received some new hardware, a few services, was drained and the lifeline (battery) disconnected in prep for being shipped overseas. Of couse this means I have no way of knowing if Jamie's work is good or not . . . :thumbsup::dopeslap::thumbsup: He kept making cracks about the new fuel line steel quick disconnects and me being seven thousand miles away when I find out they leak. But as the song goes "Friends in low places" and yes, I do have a few, even some in San Diego. Jamie also viscously stapped my oil filter, although he kept calling it the fuel filter. :/:rofl::/ With only 600 miles on the old gale, it was clearly a case of first degree murder.

Jamie and Leslie are more than family to me and JEEWW. Many of you out there know exactly what I mean. Toyo and Dennis got just a taste of what being a member of this community is all about. I am sure that they will be around for awhile and Toyo, when it comes to your old Japanese bikes, just remember what they say in Jersey . . . "Forgetaboutit."

Jamie, Leslie . . . love you both more than words will every express. Yes, I'm always showing up with work to do on the bike . . . but you know that is always secondary when it comes to our visits. Our door is always open and you have no excuses not to come to Korea.

I promise that the next time you see me I WON'T have the bike and ask for any wrenchin help (easy promise since it will be on a slow boat to Korea via China). Let me and JEEWW take you and Nanny out to dinner . . . I think I heard Olive Garden mentioned during this last visit. :thumbsup::grin::thumbsup:

My head is still spinning but man am I excited to have a much better understanding to these awesome bikes. Thanks to Jamie and Leslie for hosting the tech day. It was great meeting Bob and Toyo too. Sunday was a special day and I will pass on what I have learned. I know there is still much to grasp and look forward to doing this again soon. Went out and purchased my first tube of Honda Molly 60 Grease. Going to load up that syringe Jamie gave me and grease my kickstand tomorrow. Thanks Jamie, Leslie, Bob and Toyo. If this is what BMW Motorcycle Owners are like... I'm in it for life.

Dennis (Bigfish)

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I got the chance to meet up with Jamie, Bob, and Dennis today (Sunday, July 5th) at Jamie's place in San Diego for a nice little Tech Day. All I can say is WOW. The knowledge Jamie was able to share was above and beyond my tiny little brain's imagination.

In one day, we helped Bob clean out his bike's air filter, flushed and changed brake fluids, change brake pads, lube the spline, flush and change clutch fluids, changed the fuel filter in the tank, installed quick releases on a few pipes, drained the FD, Gearbox, and Engine oils, AND managed to squeeze in a one-hour lunch break for some kick ass burritos. Man, this was a great day.

Jamie, thanks for your hospitality and showing me and Dennis all the great tricks on how to work on an RT bike. I have to take my hat off to you for all the homemade stuffs you built. They are incredible.

Bob, have a safe trip to Korea. Bummer that we didn't get to meet earlier and you will be leaving for Korea to station there several years. Ride safe and visit us often through the forum.

Dennis, thanks for showing me how to remove the mirrors and the idea of putting in a leash to keep them from falling off. And of course, we all appreciate you making the trip to pick up the food for us. That was some good burritos.

All in all, I had an amazing time learning about my bike and met some really great guys. Summer is here, let's all go out and have some fun. Ride safe, everyone.

Hello Preacher, meet Choir. :grin::wave::thumbsup:

If this is what BMW Motorcycle Owners are like... I'm in it for life.

Dennis (Bigfish)

Well maybe not ALL BMW owners, but at least--in my experience--the ones who keep hanging out here are definitely all that . . . and MORE!! :clap:

After more than 11 years here on the web Cary's vision is still going strong. There are now many other places for the "gnarly" moto-enthusiasts to "virtually hang out, kick tires and tell lies". Not that we don't like to tell a few lies as well (**cough** Richard! **cough** :rofl: ), but I like to think this group focuses more on "spreading the love", "walking the talk" or "riding the road" and less about posing or inflating their own egos--especially by trying to deflate others' in the process. :P

Oh, and Toyo: we usually prefer to "Ride Well" vs. "Riding Safe(ly)", which as we all know is--almost by definition--impossible to do! :Wink:

P.S. for those locals who have Friday off, I'll be doing Maynard's postponed major service this Friday--at 150,000 miles!! :Cool: Toyo might even come back down and as always: all are welcome to come, hang out, turn wrenches alongside or just otherwise generally get in the way and drink up all my left over beer. It's all good. :thumbsup:

Man, sometimes I wish I lived in California not just visit for work. I need to get a bike and leave it out there :grin:

Firefight911
I need to get a bike and leave it out there :grin:

OK, I'll "take care of it" for you!!!!

Thanks Phil, I will probably take you up on it. ;) Just 2 more years and the kids will be gone, so I can then afford another bike. :clap:

Looks like a good time!

I have not been around here long but can't recall a Tech Day in Oregon in the past year. Does anyone up here ever put one on?

Ewell

If this is what BMW Motorcycle Owners are like... I'm in it for life.

Dennis (Bigfish)

Well maybe not ALL BMW owners, but at least--in my experience--the ones who keep hanging out here are definitely all that . . . and MORE!! :clap:

After more than 11 years here on the web Cary's vision is still going strong. There are now many other places for the "gnarly" moto-enthusiasts to "virtually hang out, kick tires and tell lies". Not that we don't like to tell a few lies as well (**cough** Richard! **cough** :rofl: ), but I like to think this group focuses more on "spreading the love", "walking the talk" or "riding the road" and less about posing or inflating their own egos--especially by trying to deflate others' in the process. :P

Oh, and Toyo: we usually prefer to "Ride Well" vs. "Riding Safe(ly)", which as we all know is--almost by definition--impossible to do! :Wink:

P.S. for those locals who have Friday off, I'll be doing Maynard's postponed major service this Friday--at 150,000 miles!! :Cool: Toyo might even come back down and as always: all are welcome to come, hang out, turn wrenches alongside or just otherwise generally get in the way and drink up all my left over beer. It's all good. :thumbsup:

Boy, I really wanted to join you guys last weekend, and I really didn't have anything better to do (well, I did, but I didn't do it, as usual :grin:). However, my son has my RT on extended "vacation". He took it at 46K a couple of weeks ago, and I think I now have my 48K service pending now in a day or two when he gets back. I could have come sans bike, but hey, I already sound like a wannabe on this forum, and arriving in a pick-up truck would have confirmed it to all. :grin:

Hope to see you all (particularly Jamie and Leslie) down the road.

Scott

What time do you plan on starting? Would really like to be there. :D
I imagine we'll be starting around 8:30-9:00. Our Iron Butt guests want to hit the road home to Texas by 08:00, but any of you are welcome to come earlier. I'll have coffee on by 07:30.

We just witnessed for these two guys from Texas (they're now sound asleep in the guest rooms) who created a NEW Iron Butt Association Ride! You've all probably heard of at least some of the existing ones:

Saddle Sore: 1000 miles in 24 hours

Bun Burner: 1500 miles in 36 hours

Saddle Sore 2K: 2000 miles in 48 hours

Bun Burner Gold: 1500 miles in 24 hours :eek:

Border to Border (touch both Mexico and Canada) in 36 hours

Border to Border Insanity: do the same ride in 24 hours! :dopeslap:

50CC: Coast to Coast in under 50 hours

100CCC: Coast to Coast and back again in under 100 hours! :eek:

Ultimate Coast to Coast: from Key West FL to Deadhorse, AK in less than 30 days! :eek::eek::eek:

Well these guys just did a new ride they've christened the: Twisted CC/BB! They started in Dartmouth/Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada and rode to Playas de Rosarito (aka Rosarito Beach), Baja California, Mexico in less than three days--that's under 72 hours!! They lost quite a few hours due to traffic and weather in the north east, but still made it with 50 minutes to spare!!! :eek::dopeslap::eek:

Now that's TWISTED!!! :clap:

Looks like a good time!

I have not been around here long but can't recall a Tech Day in Oregon in the past year. Does anyone up here ever put one on?

Ewell

Hi Ewell!

Of all the U.S States, strangely we have very few members from Oregon! :cry:

There are a few who ride and post but I also don't recall any Tech Daze in Oregon. You could always offer to host one and see who responds! :)

Hey Scott! Aren't you retired?? Come on down--we're doing another one! :Wink:

Lord I wish. Nope. I checked my 401K the other day. The new retirement age target 83 yrs. :grin:

Another great day of wrenching and spreading the love today! :clap:

Thanks to both Toyo and Dennis for helping me out with "Maynard's" servicing in the garage today . . . and I guess I'll be seeing them both again soon, too! :rofl:

Hey, Toyo! You forgot your toiletries kit in the bathroom. :grin:

Hey, Dennis! You forgot your camera up on the corner shelf in the garage. :grin:

We had a fun time and we all learned a lot about these bikes . . . plus we learned what a SCREAMING deal Toyo got on his 2001 R1100RT-P! :eek::clap:

It's always nice to meet new folks in the local group and hey, Bill--we've added another "Dry Town Crew" member! :clap:

Thanks again Jamie for all your time and explanations. I asked so many questions and you graciously answered each and every one. Next time I come down that way, I'll drop you a line to see if I can swing by and retrieve my camera. Maybe I can borrow that CD you had mentioned too. My throttle adjustment is great and the kickstand is super springy. Thanks for the help. Ahhh, the little things in life.

Archived