IGNORED

sheep skin seat pad

tonyla

Has anybody used a sheep skin seat pad? I love my stock seat for fit but after 50 miles I get serious butt pain. I bought a corbin seat but that did not feel any better.

Thanks

Tony

Has anybody used a sheep skin seat pad? I love my stock seat for fit but after 50 miles I get serious butt pain. I bought a corbin seat but that did not feel any better.

Thanks

Tony

Tony,

If you're experiencing 'butt-pain' after only 50 miles, I'd first recommend you read Dick's recommendations on riding posture here. Be certain you're "seated" properly before investing in any further seat fixes (including sheep skin). If after you've made any adjustments to your posture, you're still uncomfortable, than the sheep skin may help. I use one, but it is MOSTLY for better circulation so that I'm not sitting directly on the vinyl. I don't believe it will ever correct poor riding position (if that is contributing to your discomfort).

If you think seats are going to help, borrow one from someone else BEFORE you make an investment in the aftermarket variety.

Regards,

Mike O

Lincoln_Faller

I, too, found the 1150RT supposedly "comfort" seat hard to endure after 50 miles. Longest ride I did with it was 300 miles, and that was just when I bought the bike. Then I bought a secondhand Corbin, which was good for much longer. But I also started wearing bicycle shorts under my gear and using gobs of Gold Bond. Still, I returned from a 3000 mile trip (three days each way, with a four day layover) with a severely chapped backside. Then I got an Alaska sheepskin and that made a great deal of difference, though still with the bicycle shorts and the GB. Did 1500 miles in 2 1/2 days without any real discomfort, in legs of as much as 150-200 miles. The sheepskin was a bargain and I'm glad I bought it. But don't forget the bicycle shorts and the GB.

all best,

I have an Alaska Leather sheeskin buttpad and I highly recommend it. I have a stock seat on my 04RT with seat jacks and the buttpad. I am on day three of a little jaunt through the West and just clicked 2000 miles on my trip odometer and my butt is fine - that's about 34 hours on the buttpad in three days.

Call Alaska Leather and talk to them - they knw bikes and seats and they will send you exactly what you need. www.alaskaleather.com

The Alaska Leather buttpad helps make my seat a little more comfortable but I wouldn't expect drastic results. My seat still needs more comfort and I will most likely replace it soon. One down side to the sheepskin is that it sits me higher on the already too tall bike.

GW

Tony,

I haven't used a sheepskin but I went to the Rally in Lima Ohio and someone was selling Butt Beads.I didn't think they would work but they told me to try them and if I didn't like them bring them back! They let me take the beads without paying or giving them an I.D. Road 250 miles and didn't have any problems. The beads only raised my seating position a little, I really didn't notice that much. I am vertically challenged. The beads gave me good airflow under my butt and evened out the pressure points. I would highly reccommend thes to anybody.. smile.gif I went back and paid them 35 dollars

Mark

I use an Alaskan but pad (20% improvement), I also raised my seat to the highest position , my toes just touch the ground.(40% improvement) And I've worked on riding position on a ride with Master Yoda (60% improvement). A comfortable long day is about 700 miles. But I still find it's best for me to remember to stop and stretch about 10 minutes every hour or so.

It makes for a better ride overall, for me anyway.

ShovelStrokeEd

I use one and can heartily endorse it.

The hind quarters seem to run a bit cooler. I don't notice the foam packing down nearly as much. On the R1100S, 4-500 mile days were the limit of the comfort range with 750 or so the outside of the envelope. With the sheepskin, its more like 750 is OK and 1100 the outside edge.

I've had my sheepskin about a year now and like it. To make your purchase a little easier on your wallet, type in deadsheep in the coupon line on the order form and get 10% off your order.

thumbsup.gif

I use sheepskins on all my bikes.

There is some long distance benefit, but to me, the real payoff is that the seat is much more comfortable in all temperatures.

That vinyl gets very hot or cold. frown.gif

Several pieces and parts of my GS contributed to my successfull ride to/from Anchorage a couple of months ago: 'Stich, Gerbings, wheels, tires, motor, etc . . .

. . . but they were all optional compared to my Alaska Leather sheepskin seatpad! It was one of very few critical components without which the nearly 7000 mile week would have been impossible.

I see from your profile you have an 05 RT as do I. I've tried sheep skin, bead, air hawk, sheep skin with beads, & sheep skin with air hawk. I've cut the foam off of the edge of the seat where it has a square edge. I've come to the conclusion the stock seat sucks! I don't get the normal but burn from my bones but get an ache in my right rear thigh just below my butt cheek. Once it set's in it's there for several days. The Air hawk is the best but still doesn't feel great. I probably should have just kept the GS since the stock 12GS seat was comfy. There D Baker are you happy now wink.gif?

skinny_tom (aka boney)

If you decide to get one, they are offering a discount with a "code" you can get in the vendors forum of the other web site. FYI.

Assuming it's still valid... It was posted near the first of the year.

If you decide to get one, they are offering a discount with a "code" you can get in the vendors forum of the other web site. FYI.

Assuming it's still valid... It was posted near the first of the year.

Still valid as of this a.m. Thanks! thumbsup.gif

Archived