IGNORED

Boxers in the NYTimes!

Effervescent

Effervescent

600-boxer-span.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/automobiles/05BOXER.html

"GRACEFUL proportions and well-rounded performance may be enough to clinch a sale for many vehicles, but for some enthusiasts those qualities will never be enough.

BMW's Boxer Twins It takes attractions of a more mechanical nature — the catlike reflexes of a rear-engine Porsche, the distinctive howl of a Ferrari V-12 or the turbine smoothness of a Mazda rotary — to persuade these shoppers to open wallets.

Such is the case with buyers of BMW motorcycles powered by the flat-twin “boxer” engine design that has been a brand attribute since the 1920s. The horizontal cylinders make for an appealingly logical layout — placed 180 degrees to each another, they jut out into the cooling air flow on either side of the bike — that exerts an enduring hold on owners."

Owning a /2 and a hexhead myself, I can relate to the guy.

-Eff

wbrissette

Nice story. Having not entered the BMW world in the early 80's, I didn't realize BMW had tried to phase out the boxer. Very nice story, thanks for posting it.

Wayne

That was a great photojournalist shot. Very compelling, scary, and funny all at the same time, along with terrific scenery to boot.

Archived