IGNORED

Whats up with GS intake tubes for 04RT?

barryNmarin

barryNmarin

I've seen a couple of mentions lately referring to putting GS intake tubes on their 04RTs. I have a hard time resisting farkelization of my 04RT especially if it makes the engine perform better, faster, quicker or whatever.

So what are the pros and cons (gas mileage?) and is it a pretty simple process for someone who does most of the wrenching on his bike?

I have it done to my RT.....but it was like that when I bought it so I can't really compare. I have heard it just gives you a little more midrange umph, along with a smoother torque curve. Here is some more info to read over

LINK

I have been told that this makes works only on the R1100RT. I made the switch last fall, and it's noticeable, with the engine responding quicker where I typically keep it (3500-6500 rpm), for which I gladly trade a little power loss above 6500 rpm.

skinny_tom (aka boney)
I have been told that this makes works only on the R1100RT. I made the switch last fall, and it's noticeable, with the engine responding quicker where I typically keep it (3500-6500 rpm), for which I gladly trade a little power loss above 6500 rpm.

I just did it on my 03 1150 RT and found the results to be exactly what you mentioned. Just make sure you get the right cat code plug.

barryNmarin

Ok Boney, I'll bite, how do I know if I have the right cat code plug? By the way I just looked up "cat code plug" on Google because I didn't know what it was. I may be in over my head. Perhaps its better for me to leave well enough alone. :S

The cat code plug (CCP) is a relay in your fusebox. It is as easy as replacing a fuse. I'm not sure which one is recommended for your (potential) situation.

I just did it on my 03 1150 RT and found the results to be exactly what you mentioned. Just make sure you get the right cat code plug.

For what its worth.....I'm still running my stock RT cat code plug, and haven't noticed any ill-effects. Bike has 115k+ miles on it and runs like a champ

Boney, is this mod applicable to the 04 R1150RT (2-spark) models? If so, what are the part numbers and how do we determin which CAT code plug we need?

Boney, is this mod applicable to the 04 R1150RT (2-spark) models? If so, what are the part numbers and how do we determin which CAT code plug we need?

I have a twin spark R1150RT.

Inlet tubes....

fitted them, removed them, fitted them, removed them and fitted them again.

I assure you that on these later models you won't see a noticable change one way or the other.

Save your money, and don't bother. You won't see the punch in mid range that older bikes saw.

(PS I had an older RT and felt the differance)

Andy

The link to the RS board doesn't include the cat code info. Bob Lentini's article said:

"Part number and cost for the GS Cat Code Plug is:

61 36 8 366 625 $5.99"

I suspect the price has changed since 2002. :Cool:

Lentini claimed 3-5% increase in fuel economy from the cat code plug change (not my experience, but I haven't yet changed the plug). The only downside that he lists is "The motor is also a little bit cranky on cold startup...".

skinny_tom (aka boney)

I don't know, and I don't know.

The point of the GS tubes and cat code plug is to change the velocity of the air being drawn into the cylinders at lower RPMs, and change the tuning of the ignition map and fuel injection. While I'm not up to all the information about this, it's my understanding that this allows the engine to draw more air at lower RPM's and hence burn a bit more fuel providing the extra oomph. The draw back is that the tubes restrict air flow at the higher RPMs resulting in the slight loss as reported.

In the case that the Cat Code plug was not changed, AND the battery was not disconnected for 5+ minutes AND the throttle position sensor was not set, then who knows what the outcome would be. All of the above described actions are necessary to get the proper tuning out of the GS tubes when you swap from the RT tubes.

I do not know whether the dual spark congifuration of the 04 changes things. Considering that it creates more efficient combustion, I would be willing to bet that the difference is not as great.

Edit: for part numbers, go to any online parts fiche (I think Max BMW has one, as does A&S (but it's not as good) ) and look up the part numbers for the GS of your year.

barryNmarin

No, Mark, I really like my RT and enjoy wrenching on it which I couldn't do on a K-bike. I was just curious to know if I could easily squeeze some more HP out of the engine. I'm afraid that a K bike with the added HP would be the end of my riding career. I don't know how one can avoid major performance awards. I don't have that kind of self control. I couldn't have that kind of power and not use it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived