IGNORED

Is the Schuberth S1 worth it?

jimswms

That's it. Straight to the point. It's a very expensive helmet. It also has a TON of great features, among them being extremely quiet, which is huge for me. The sun visor seems like a cool idea, but, is it useable? Just a gimmick? Is the normal visor truely fog proof (how cool!?)? It seems like it's covered all the bases for what a rider would look for in a helmet, but, is it too good to be true? As good as they claim?

I'd like to only hear from those that actually own one, and why you love it, or why you wouldn't buy again.

It's expensive. that doesn't bother me too much, as long as it really is that good! I've had an Arai, a Shoei and currently an Icon. This helmet really FEELS deluxe! I tried on a Shoei Rf1000 and Xeleven after the schuberth and they felt like a Yugo after the Mercedez Benz.

Thanks,

Jim

The sun visor seems like a cool idea, but, is it useable? Just a gimmick? Is the normal visor truely fog proof (how cool!?)? It seems like it's covered all the bases for what a rider would look for in a helmet, but, is it too good to be true? As good as they claim?

Overall, I have not been disappointed. As such, I'd declare it worth it. You might not.

Is the sun visor a gimmick? Absolutely not. I got hooked on the sun visor with my old Concept, when to another full-face for a while, and then have realized how great it really once since going to the S1.

If you just ride around out in the open in the sun all day, perhaps it wouldn't be. But with urban riding or riding in forested areas, etc., it has great utility.

Is it truly fog proof? Well, sort of. When it's clean, it definitely won't fog up. However, depending on the amount of air you've got coming at you, condensation, rather than fog, will build up inside the visor. It's often worse than fogging would have been. Get the air moving, and that goes away a bit.

Once you figure out ventilation, that works out okay. And the only remaining thing is really heft. It's never felt overly heavy to me, but some folks (like the folks at webbikeworld.com) seem to hate heavy helmets with a passion. I can't tell you what you'll like.

Personally, I love mine. But be sure you get some time in a Schuberth before you buy one.

Greg

I'll buy another one if the one I have gets lost, stolen, or damaged. I generally don't have trouble with fogging, use the sun visor a LOT, and like the quiet.

Guess I'll be in the minority in saying that I wish I hadn't bought mine.

I do love the sun visor - it's really great. And it is quieter than the HJC helmets I'd worn previously.

However, I found the helmet to be much hotter to wear than the HJCs, almost unbearable on a hot summer day. Also, the S1 is noticably heavier on long rides. More than anything, I haven't been happy with the ventilation. If I rode a bike without a large windshield, the ventilation might be OK. However, I have an RT, and I can't close the visor on the Schuberth without feeling like I'm going to suffocate.

Last, I couldn't get the medium size on my head at all. I thought the large was OK in the shop, but after just a few hours it seems too loose now.

So for me, it wasn't worth it. YMMV. YMMV. YMMV.

Did I mention YMMV?

A couple of weeks ago I went out and bought a new HJC CL-14 for $140. It's lighter, fits perfectly, and with my new Cee Bailey windshield, is quiet enough. Would have more seriously considered the Shoeis and Arais, but I really wasn't in the mood to fork over big bucks for another helmet after the Schuberth. I plan to wear the CL-14, instead of the Schuberth, next month on my first Saddle Sore 1000 ride.

I'll keep the S1 for winter riding, unless someone wants to buy it for some reasonable price. White. Large. About 20 hours on my head.

I've had mine for about 6 months. Ridden about 5,000 miles with it through heat of Death Valley, Mojave, and up into cold temps in the rockies. Quieter,... yea, but not enough to make a big difference as I wear earplugs all the time. But I will say that for me it's one of the best pieces of motogear I've ever bought. The drop-down visor is awesome--no more fumbling with sunglasses. I was used to my Arais with D-rings and now love the clip-in. Haven't noticed the weight and the ventilation is FAR better than my Arais (I'm typically on a GS not the RT). I bought a L, wish I had gone with a M as it has broken in. For me, it's the only helmet I'll wear. I love it!!! Every time I put it on I appreciate the S1,... YMMV but the Schuberth S1 was the end of my holy grail search for a helmet. clap.gif

Archived