IGNORED

One more Ouray IV tale

Bill_Walker

Bill_Walker

Here, at last, is my belated ride tale from the much-reported Ouray IV event. If the picture quality isn't up to snuff, blame my iPhone. I had to send my camera to my daughter when her's died, so I was left with my phone. You can also blame my iPhone for the mostly vertical format. Also, those of you on Facebook will have seen some or all of these photos.

As Tom (azkaisr) has reported, Jamie (KMG-365) and I left San Diego and met at Tom's house in Phoenix. We had a pleasant evening. The next morning, before we left, Tom had some business to attend to (or maybe he was just posting on Facebook), with a little help from Jesus Perez:

IMG_0111.jpg

We set out for Ouray. I failed to take any photos that day.

Saturday morning, the group in my condo was rarin' to go:

IMG_0119.jpg

We gathered up the Jeeps and headed out on the trail. I rode shotgun with Tom:

IMG_0122.jpg

while Jamie rattled around in the back:

IMG_0123.jpg

Some of our crew were sufficiently intrepid to ride dual-purpose bikes.

Here's Bullett:

IMG_0133.jpg

Roadscholar and Huzband:

IMG_0135.jpg

And Twisties:

IMG_0136.jpg

As documented, Twisties had a little problem. He managed to escape, but his DRZ attempted to pull the crew into the ravine:

IMG_0142.jpg

Sometimes the trail was a bit unpredictable:

IMG_0167.jpg

Tom was a masterful off-road driver. From inside the Jeep, it looked like this:

IMG_0176.jpg

A passer-by got a shot of us from the outside, where it looked like this:

Picture038.jpg

At Animas Forks, the weather broke:

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

When we came down off the mountain, we found that Silverton was prepared for the arrival of Der Kaiser/General Rommell:

IMG_0251.jpg

We returned to Ouray via CO 550, the so-called Million Dollar Highway, which has some interesting turns:

IMG_0269.jpg

On Sunday, I rode in Killer's mighty Tundra with Killer, azkaisr, Squirrel, and Mrs. Whip, headed for Yankee Boy Basin. On the way, we stopped at a cool waterfall:

IMG_0323.jpg

Arriving at the basin, we found the view down-valley did not suck:

IMG_0345.jpg

Mrs. Whip, however, had been here and seen this all before:

IMG_0369.jpg

Headed back down the valley, we stopped for a shot of this little creek:

IMG_0416.jpg

On Monday, I headed toward Sonoma to visit my Dad, via Bedrock, Moab, I-70, US50, US6, CA-120, US395, CA-108 and CA-12, with overnight stops in Ely, NV and Lodi, CA (an Iron Butt rider I'm not). I was forced to stop in Lee Vining for gas:

IMG_0443.jpg

Behind the station I spotted the interestingly-named boat:

IMG_0445.jpg

In San Andreas, I saw a chopper shop I don't think I'd ever patronize:

IMG_0446.jpg

Apparently, I just missed a few of our crew who were out bagging passes.

On Thursday, my dad and I went an poked around at the antique airport where he hangs out, Sonoma Valley Airport, aka Schellville. Amongst all the interesting planes, we found a cache of old bikes tucked in a hangar corner:

IMG_0448.jpg

The middle bike is an Ariel Square Four bobber, something I never thought I'd see! Sorry for the image quality. No flash. There was also an all-there Triumph (can't recall the model. Might've been a Trophy):

IMG_0449.jpg

along with a couple of Kawis (one was a KZ1000 ELR, if I'm not mistaken, the other a KZ1300). Here's another shot of the Squariel:

IMG_0450.jpg

From right, we've got a Bultaco, the Squariel, an engineless Harley, and something I've forgotten.

On Friday, my dad and I had to due a favor for my sister-in-law in Sacramento. On the way, we stopped at the Heidrick Ag History Center/Hays Antique Truck Museum in Woodland, CA. Among the many interesting things we saw was this early snowmobile based on Fordson tractor:

IMG_0453.jpg

On the weekends, my dad always helps out with the plane rides at Vintage Aircraft Co., so I hung with him. The temp was over 100, and they didn't do a single ride all day. But Chris Prevost, the proprietor, was busy working on their P-51 anyway (I've forgotten whose back is to the camera, but it's not Chris):

IMG_0459.jpg

Chris says there's only one bad thing about a P-51: everything forward of the firewall, which was built, or at least designed, by the British. The P-40 is more reliable and easier to work on.

I rode home on Sunday and Monday, hugging the coast to avoid the heat inland. The coast was foggy and cool. At one point south of Big Sur, it got quite surreal, as the road visibility was good but the hillside and ocean were obscured by fog. It was like riding a road through the clouds!

Here's the tale of the tape. Apparently my RT fell off a tall cliff at some point when I wasn't watching:

IMG_0461.jpg

Good job Bill. I liked the pictures of the bikes, makes you wonder what's the story behind them.

BeniciaRT_GT

Very cool!

Too bad we missed you when we were within just a few minutes of each other in the Sierra's!

the P-51 is a great plane, but a nightmare from my (mechanic's) perspective.

Thanks for sharing.

Maybe not an Iron Butt, but that top speed is mighty impressive!

Nicely done. :thumbsup:

It was great seeing you again.

barryNmarin

Great tale Bill, thanks for the post! Funny how our paths almost crossed on the 7 passes ride and we noted the sign you photographed in San Andreas since Richard was having "issues" with his GT as we went through there. Too bad you couldn't have stopped a while in the Bay area and hung out with your friends up here. Plan on it next time!

Bill_Walker
Great tale Bill, thanks for the post! Funny how our paths almost crossed on the 7 passes ride and we noted the sign you photographed in San Andreas since Richard was having "issues" with his GT as we went through there. Too bad you couldn't have stopped a while in the Bay area and hung out with your friends up here. Plan on it next time!

Thanks, and sorry I missed you. Yeah, it would have been great to hang with all you guys. But my Dad is 83 and I don't see him all that often, so I kinda felt I had to stick with him.

Bill_Walker
Good job Bill. I liked the pictures of the bikes, makes you wonder what's the story behind them.

I just don't know. They were just some people ahead of us on the trail. This is the "4x4 tales" section, isn't it? :grin:

Seriously, most of my bike photos were crap and I figured the story had been adequately covered by others.

. Among the many interesting things we saw was this early snowmobile based on Fordson tractor:

IMG_0453.jpg

Here's a neat old youtube video of that contraption.

Archived