IGNORED

You have to get naked to get repaired

wbrissette

wbrissette

As many of you know, over the Memorial Day weekend, I was in a freak accident. I say freak because I still don't think there was any way of knowing about the road condition; it looked like the rest of the road, and I was going less than the posted speed limit. accident story

Anyhow, the insurance company decided they would repair rather than total the '09 RT out. Parts were ordered and had to wait for all the parts to arrive from the Fatherland. ;)

The kind folks at Lone Star BMW, here in Austin, have been keeping me posted on the repairs via photos and emails. I'll continue to update the thread as more photos come in. The shear number of parts that had to get ordered was staggering.

3683413703_22e892d13c_o.jpg

All the tupperware was removed

3684710405_128ba194ae_b.jpg

The new rear subframe was attached -- Doesn't even look like an RT. Has almost a transformer look to it.

3686263330_cc47d0685c_b.jpg

FYI, the parts and labor total on the bike are nearly $13.5K! And the engine only suffered minor damage to the valve covers thanks to the side cases and fairing.

Wayne

Francois_Dumas

I guess the insurance company saved a BUNDLE on this one !!! :rofl:

Great photos !

That's a happy repair shop...

Yeah; bet you'll be on their Christmas card list.

It is too bad you have been without your RT for 1/3 of the summer. That has to be worth something.

Hope it all goes together smoothly for you.

I missed the original accident post.

What was the extent of the damage on the bike? By the size of the boxes, it seems that there are a lot of body panels in there.

wbrissette
It is too bad you have been without your RT for 1/3 of the summer. That has to be worth something.

Living in Texas, summer starts in late March and continues through October. It really hasn't been all that long when you consider those dates. Plus, I ride year round, so my riding never stops. While the RT has been in the shop, I've been riding my Buell Ulysses 100% of the time. I love both bikes, so it's not like I've really been too inconvenienced by it all.

I missed the original accident post.

What was the extent of the damage on the bike? By the size of the boxes, it seems that there are a lot of body panels in there.

The bike flipped down the highway, so there was quite a bit of damage to the body work on both sides of the bike. Side cases, top case, L & R front fairing panels, L & R valve covers, and pretty much everything is in pairs, so on the parts list there are always two of everything.

Wayne

It is too bad you have been without your RT for 1/3 of the summer.

No loss, not much fun riding mid-summer in Texas anyway. Heat index is 106 today. :P

FYI, the parts and labor total on the bike are nearly $13.5K! And the engine only suffered minor damage to the valve covers thanks to the side cases and fairing.

Wayne

For comparison, I had a similar situation with my 1999 RT. In about 2001, I slid it on one side into a curb which flipped it and trashed the other side as well.

No damage to the engine, wheels or suspension, I rode it to the shop. But most every exterior piece of the bike was trashed. Windshield, both fairing halves, both side cases, top box, rider pegs, shift and and brake levers, valve covers.

The repair cast about $6,000. After repair it was good as new. In fact, I got rid of some scratches in the fairing that a previous zero speed drop had contributed. So after repair, it was better than before.

Either there has been a lot of inflation in parts costs, or you need more pieces, probably some of both.

Sounds like it's too hot to ride the RT anyway. . .

It's good to hear the repairs are moving along, and that you have a "spare" bike to ride. Actually, I feel your pain since my RT is in getting its shocks re-sprung and I'm "stuck" riding my GS.

Hope the repairs are done soon.

The bike flipped down the highway, so there was quite a bit of damage to the body work on both sides of the bike. .......so on the parts list there are always two of everything.

At least everything will match. :( I hope it's not too long before you're back in the saddle.

wbrissette
Either there has been a lot of inflation in parts costs, or you need more pieces, probably some of both.

I suspect both. My accident was at 65 MPH, and I think the new RTs simply cost more to repair. The outside part of the side cases alone are $497 each! Add a top case to match and suddenly you're already at $2000 and that's just for the cases. Prices have gotten crazy over the past 10 years.

I hope it's not too long before you're back in the saddle.

Based on how fast things are going back together, the estimate is this week! :)

Wayne

Sorry to hear about the accident.

But, the pictures are great. I have been zooming in on the pictures and it is helping me find where everything is on the newer RT's. I just got one and have not taken the skins off yet.

Anyway good luck with the "new" bike when they finish.

wbrissette

Got one more Photo this morning from the dealership:

3701555570_6c176e2f1e_b.jpg

She's really starting to come together. I suspect that by the end of the day she'll be almost put back together.

Wayne

Nice pictures.

I am really enjoying, and learning, as the bike gets put back together.

Hope they finish it soon.

wbrissette

And the pile of boxes gets smaller...

3704185501_b54833d242_b.jpg

And now she is really coming together.

3704185443_bd57416848_b.jpg

3704993958_975954f0f8_b.jpg

I should have her back tomorrow! It's been seven long weeks without her, so I can't wait to take her out for a spin.

Wayne

Two final "repair photos"

3705473926_a02ded2b21_b.jpg

3705314157_79d0d6a049_b.jpg

She comes home tomorrow after a bath and some road testing.

Wayne

She comes home tomorrow after a bath and some road testing.

Looks like I'm going to be hanging out at Lone Star tomorrow waiting on some service work so maybe I'll get to witness the event...

Wayne, what backrest is that you've got there?

Keith: I don't know squat about the seat. Two weeks after my accident, another member of the local BMW club had an accident on his RT. His insurance company totaled his bike. I happened to be at the dealership one day when he was there and he mentioned that the salvage company was picking up his bike later that day and asked if I wanted his seat. He couldn't "save" the seat because he had no seat to replace it with. The dealership swapped out the seat and I told him that when he bought another RT, we'd swap the seat out again (I think that made his day), so it's basically on loan for now. ;)

Wayne

The dealership swapped out the seat and I told him that when he bought another RT, we'd swap the seat out again (I think that made his day), so it's basically on loan for now. ;)

Wayne

Nice job Wayne, that should net you some good Karma!

Archived