IGNORED

Woodworking - finishing unfinished furniture

SAAB93driver

SAAB93driver

I recently bought a 55" Samsung LCD/LED TV - that's the good news - coming from a 32" Sony CRT this thing is incredible.

To my question, additionally I bought a pine unfinished stand for the TV that matches some other furniture I have. I got a stain mixed to match the other pine furniture so the color is fine, the stand is stained and matches the other furniture very well.

Now I have to apply a finish coat, I have some people telling me to use a clear satin varnish, sand in between coats, some other telling me that an oil finish is fine. On my other pine furniture (Pine Factory/This End Up) I use an oil rub that the store for that furniture offered - basically reading the label it is a boiled linseed oil type of product. Rub on, wipe off the excess - very easy and no problems after 15 years with rings or stains.

So is one better or more appropriate than the other?

TIA for any help with this far away from motorcycle topic.

I would go with one of the new water based top finishes. Amazing progress with some of these over the last decade, much easier to apply, dry quickly and no fumes/environmental issues

If matching the finish of your other pieces matters, and if you can test an inconspicuous spot on the TV stand to confirm that the oil finish won't change the color too much (not necessarily a safe assumption -- most "clear" finishes deepen or darken a stain's color at least a little bit), I'd go with what you've used on the other pieces since it has been trouble-free for so long.

Lineareagle

I think you will find you will be happier with the oil finish. If you like the luster of what you already have.

Water based finish on open wood, pine, will cause the grain to swell, meaning you have to sand and if you sand you can end up cutting some of the stained wood off and end up splochy.

I only use it on hard woods and only in high traffic, usage areas, like kitchen cabinets.

Archived