IGNORED

Ferry to Alaska

rabbibgr

I understand that some sort of ferry's are available for the trip to Alaska. I am thinking of riding from So Cal to someplace north, taking the ferry, spending some time in AK then riding back via the Canadian Rockies, SD and ND. If anyone has any info or can tell me where to look, it would be appreciated

Thanks, Don

$$$$$$,,,Bring you wallet,,It is-ant cheep,,,Whip,,Don't you ever work :rofl:

Yes(I am working)......I have to save my $$ for Killer's health insurance.

..oh and BTW....it ain't a whole lot more expensive than riding up the ALCAN or Cassier.

BTDT....ask Mr Olson.

$$$$$$,,,Bring you wallet,,It is-ant cheep,,,Whip,,Don't you ever work :rofl:

Yes(I am working)......I have to save my $$ for Killer's health insurance.

..oh and BTW....it ain't a whole lot more expensive than riding up the ALCAN or Cassier.

BTDT....ask Mr Olson.

My understanding is that it's quite scenic and you can set it up so you can get off for a day or two at some of the stops. Supposed to be a big 24/7 party up on deck.

I think it's booked way, way in advance though.

I agree with Whip, if you really look at your travel costs, it is not an outrageous option.

Your even allowed to camp on deck if you want to save a some money. Either in a self supported tent or just on the deck chairs.

I am not sure what it is called now but in 2001, there was a ferry service called the Alaska Marine Highway. It was $250.00 at the time for me and the motorcycle to travel from Prince Rupert to Skagway. I slept in the rear solarium and as much as I recall, it was the best two day party I've ever been on. There were 7 dockings between Prince Rupert and Skagway including a memorable 4 hours in Juneau. Don't try to get a sleeping compartment. They are more expensive and you miss a lot of potential camaradarie.

Do it!

RichEdwards

Took it from Haines, AK to Bellingham, WA. Small cabin, good food. Not cheap but a good restful option for the return trip to the lower 48. I agree that you may be too late to book passage. But do give it a try.

motorman587
Took it from Haines, AK to Bellingham, WA. Small cabin, good food. Not cheap but a good restful option for the return trip to the lower 48. I agree that you may be too late to book passage. But do give it a try.

Did the same on 07. We had a state room which was 4 bunk beds and a small louge area. Chairs w/ table. I think it was about $1000. $700 for the bike and $300 for the room. We took our own straps to tie the bike down. Not a real tie down, more in case we got ruff seas, but the seas were calm and the bikes stayed up right.

motorman587

Also get you a copy of the milepost of Alaska. Has a lot of information, maps and infor numbers in it. Help a lot on our trip.

I took the Alaska Maritime Ferry out of Alaska, rather than in. The two days onboard were a very nice bit of downtime. I would argue that it is cheap. Unless you plan to reserve a cabin (which increases the cost considerably), you can camp up top (may be noisy due to engines), or you can sleep in one of the aircraft style seats, or, take the sleeping pad off your bike (assuming you plan to camp), and sleep on the floor.

Consider getting off at Haines, and ride up from there. The highway from Haines to Haines Junction was one of the most beautiful rides of my entire trip (I might have a different opinion, had it been a cloudy day). I hate cruise ships and all that goes with them, so do not get off at Skagway unless you like the Disney-type experience -- 1000 visitors a day for a town with a year-round population of 300+

If you stay overnight in Haines Junction, it's a day's ride to Tok or Delta Junction.

One more thing: access to the vehicle deck is permitted only in port; if you need something, you won't be allowed to get to your bike until the next port of call.

chrisolson

I looked at the ferry when Whip and I were planning our trip. Didn't do it and in retrospect, I'm glad we didn't. To ride the whole way was worth it. However, if we go back it would be an interesting option.

After 4 weeks on the road, 2 days of downtime on the ferry was just what I needed to recharge my batteries and reflect on the trip to that point. Going in or out, the Inside Passage is a part of visiting Alaska that shouldn't be missed.

Mendenhall Glacier

insidepassage1.jpg

Wrangell Narrows

wranglenarrows.jpg

Archived