IGNORED

New Car Maintenance

Skywagon

My 2009 Tahoe was due for an oil change - 6000 total miles. I have been really busy and my better half volunteered to take it in. I warned her not to accept any additional services.

So good news, annoying news. The dealer did change the oil and filter for $22. I was amazingly surprised at the price. The annoying sales pitch. I need my front end aligned, time for my fuel injectors to be cleaned, all four tires need to be balanced and they could do it all for only $500. She paid for the oil change and left.

When I looked at the check list they filled in on services performed it had the usual things they did. They checked my brakes, belts, hoses, they filled the washer fluid, checked tire pressure and reset it to 35 PSI - which I was not happy about.

So...tonight I went out to check the tire pressure as I am leaving on a trip tomorrow. It was exactly where I keep it. 40psi. The washer fluid was low, and it was obvious they just put check marks on the list without really doing anything. I wonder how often that happens on BMW checks.

I highly suspect if they could have gained her agreement to do the other suggested things they wouldn't have done anything either.

One last thing. I asked her to have them use 20W50 as it is hot in Texas this time of year. They said it would void the warranty as the only approved oil was 10W30. I checked the owners manual and low and behold it says use 5W30 as 10W40 is too thick and might cause damage.

You would think I bought this Tahoe from BMW...

Mister Tee

I never have my vehicles serviced at the dealer for that very reason. I've had fairly good luck with Jiffy Lube, on company vehicles, or I do oil changes myself on my own vehicles.

But you most definitely don't want to deviate from the oil viscosities recommended by the manufacturer, for a given temperature. Using 20W 50 in an engine designed for 5W 30 will cause journal bearing failure due to the inability of the oil to enter in to the bearings. Conversely, using too thin of an oil will cause the same due to an inability of the oil to float the bearings.

So, according to the dealer, your 6k miles new vehicle needs a front end alignment and fuel injectors cleaned, and apparently they do not balance the tires before delivery. No wonder GM is bankrupt.

I wonder how much gender figured into that sales pitch?

That $22 oil change is a "loss leader" as "bait" to get you into the lube bay. Then they try to "switch" you as you are emotionally bombarded by costly, fictitiously represented and unneeded services. I'm proud of your better half and I hope you go elsewhere for service next time.

Same thing when I took in my Honda Ridgeline for the first oil service @ 3k. $25.00 for the oil and uh.....needs a brake inspection, needs to have the coolant changed, tranny service and God knows what else I can't remember....sounded like a script to me from the service advisor.

Found a mom/pop garage close to me and have never been happier!

russell_bynum
Same thing when I took in my Honda Ridgeline for the first oil service @ 3k. $25.00 for the oil and uh.....needs a brake inspection, needs to have the coolant changed, tranny service and God knows what else I can't remember....sounded like a script to me from the service advisor.

Too bad we no longer live in a world where people like that would have been run out of town by an angry mob with pitchforks.

I've had a Mazda 3 for five years and I've had it serviced by the dealer since I bought it. I've never been given the hard sell by them on anything. In fact I'm always amazed how much cheaper it is to service my car than my RT.

You have 6000 miles total on the car? And you bought it new? I'd be pissed.

That all sounds like warranty work to me (as well as B.S.). Go back and get it all done - on THEIR dime.

As stated above, no wonder GM is in the tank.

Elk....agree. I am not worried about it as I am sure Pres O will take care of it..

Someone commented on gender...Yep, I am sure that plays apart. She took her BMW car in for an oil change at 38k (just out of warranty). Amazing the head gasket needed replacing and they weren't sure she could make it home. Some 100k later (now 130K) all is still well. I went to the dealer the next day and ranted and raved loud enough so every client in the service bay could hear me. I talked to the general manager, of course he promised to deal with it, and I wrote the BBB.

The only thing worse than dealing with dealer maintenance is getting your draft notice...

I rarely take cars in for service as I am pretty self sufficient, but routine oil changes I usually do...

I used to take my Taurus and Expedition to a downtown Ford dealer for oil changes. They had a coupon deal for 8 changes for $100 which was $12 a time. This was a great deal as I got to leave the car at the dealer all day and avoid paying $15 to park it - so that was a oil change that paid me! :grin:

I just had to develop a very thick skin to refuse all the up selling they tried to do for me for things the car didn't really need:

-Tire rotation 1 month after I had taken off the snow tires

- Fuel injector flushes about once a year

- Auto Transmission fluid change out about every 20k

- Wheel alignments every visit

- And on and on and on

I just kept saying No and eventually their oil changes jumped back to $35 so I did it myself :grin: !

Francois_Dumas

I'd change dealers if I were you..... :grin::dopeslap:

And (at least in Europe) BMW would change the dealer FOR you, had it been a BMW garage..... ;)

Too bad we no longer live in a world where people like that would get run out of town by an angry mob with pitchforks.

True. But I believe that eventually pitchforks do await them.

Archived