IGNORED

Sticker Shock - 24K Mile 1200RT Service

Riobeemer

I just paid over $600 for the standard 24000 mile service for my not-yet two-year-old 1200RT and would like to see what others in Northern California are experiencing. $350 was labor.

Firefight911

Wow! N. California and you never called for me to help!?!?

Let me know how I can help show you to save some money for your next service by doing it yourself.

I also host a N. California Tech Daze every year. Next year's venue will NOT be at A&S but look for an announcement sometime in the future.

Matts_12GS

Hell, you could fly me out there from FL to do the service, feed me wine and one of Phil's grilled tritips and come out ahead on that deal.

Go see Phil, he'll hook you up right!

OUCH,,, I just did mine and it only cost me 38 bucks,,Think it's time to learn how to do it your self ???? GO SEE PHIL,,He's a cheep date....and I didn't hear that from Jamie :rofl:

If that includes the brake flush & bleed, seems about right.

+1

That sounds VERY fair to me since the 12K interval services are the "bigger" ones and as Ken stated include the complete brake flush. In the east labor rates are about $85/hour so labor of $350 is about 4 hours. The TB and Valve adjust is about 2 hours labor so that really sounds in line.

Yeah, that sounds like a fair price or even a good price. Down here (SoCal) I was quoted nearly 900$ for the 12k service. MY buddy gave me a hand and we did it ourselves for less than $100.

That said, I did plunk down a couple hundred recently to flush the brakes, swap the final drive oil and have a clutch switch replaced here recently.

Phil is the man to talk to in NorCal, so check with him!

JT

My 06 RT is going in for it's 24k mile service and I HOPE it will only be $600! I thought it might be closer to $1000! Ouch! :cry:

I no longer do my own service on motorcycles. I used to do the oil changes, but I've stopped doing even that with this bike I got about a year ago. I don't know if I'm just old and lazy or the cost of having someone else get dirty, hot and sweaty is worth it to me. :Cool:

I just replaced my clutch disc and rebuilt my transmission (got the tranny parts on Ebay for about $300), did a complete service including TB balance, valves, brake fluid replacement and spark plugs. Oh yeah, I also installed an HID conversion kit for the low beams - parts total less than a $900. I think that the labor cost would have been quite a bit more.... it is worthwhile to DIY.

I just paid over $600 for the standard 24000 mile service for my not-yet two-year-old 1200RT and would like to see what others in Northern California are experiencing. $350 was labor.

That sounds about right. Although cost is part of it, I prefer to do my own maintenance whenever possible, because I enjoy learning how things work (preferably not by breaking them), and I feel that on my own time schedule, I can do a better job because I can obsess over getting it perfect. If you don't like getting your hands dirty, stick with your dealer. If you want to know how things work and maybe save some money, go to a tech day.

Recommended reading: Shop Class as Soulcraft by Matthew B. Crawford.

"...I just replaced my clutch disc and rebuilt my transmission (got the tranny parts on Ebay for about $300), did a complete service including TB balance, valves, brake fluid replacement and spark plugs....."

Too bad you are not my neighbor! :Cool:

Sounds about right, called BOOK TIME. They charge the hours in their BOOK, it does not take BOOK time to do the service. Have you tried an independent dealer. If you are in the Bay Area I have heard that the Beemer Shop in Scotts Valley does GREAT work, less BOOK time rate than the dealers.

http://www.beemershop.com/

The price you were quoted is about right to my limited understanding.

My 24,000 included a final drive transfusion and a rear tire mounting and came in $170.00 more than I was quoted on the phone. THAT whole experience motivated me to get over my fear of doing my own work on the new motorcycle.

I bought a CD, a Twin Max and asked a bunch of questions on this website. The end result is more money in my pocket and a much better understanding of the machine I'm riding. A win win!

There's no mystery voodoo magic in there. It does, however, require that you take your time and follow the directions and take your time.

What made you rebuild your transmission? My transmission blew apart at 80 mph on Interstate 90 during an IBA Bun Burner Gold attempt.

That was with 48K miles on the odo. 5 seconds before it blew up it was running perfectly. No salvageable parts. Still waiting on a replacement unit.

$594.27 here in Oregon.

345.60 labor, 215.67 parts, 25.00 shop supplies, and 8.00 hazardous materials.

They replaced my fuel sensor strip under warranty during the same visit.

My brakes are not due for a bleed, so that is not in these numbers.

Items listed on the bill:

Engine Oil and Filter

Final Drive Oil Change

Valve Clearance Check

Gearbox Oil Change

Spark Plug Replacement

Air Filter Replacement

Alternator Belt Replacement

Throttle Body Sync

Set Service Count Down

While not listed on the invoice I did get the signature and date of the tech that did the work in my owners manual too.

Kevin,

You probably could have gotten a few thousand miles more out of your spark plugs (scheduled at 40 K kms) but I would really question why they replaced your alternator belt which is only scheduled at 60 k kms.

Kevin,

You probably could have gotten a few thousand miles more out of your spark plugs (scheduled at 40 K kms) but I would really question why they replaced your alternator belt which is only scheduled at 60 k kms.

Before I go in for any schedule service I print out the sheet from the BMW service DVD and make sure everything they say they are going to do is on it. When we got the the alternator I asked the very same question of the service writer, my take was it should be 40k kms. His response was that they had changed the schedule for alternator belt replacement to 40k km. I pushed back a bit, and he said from time to time they make adjustments based on experience from the field. The theory here was that 60k was determined to be too long. Sort of life the legend of the life time fill for the FD. He said your call. I elected to replace it, the total was $46.27 parts and labor.

I mus have better shop rates around here. They quoted me 5 hours labor and around $100 in parts for a 12,000 miles service. I think he figured around $350 total... but I'm expecting more like $400.

The "5 hour labor" will take their mechanic around 3 hours... if he's not interrupted.

I'm having hte dealer do all my service until hte warranty si over. Then I'll probably pick and choose a little. Do some myself, them others. The dealer is a 3 hour round trip, so convenience is an issue.

Archived