IGNORED

Happy Canada Day!

Ken H.

Dave McReynolds

Cut this comment out of an email I received today from a business correspondent currently working in Canada (It would make more sense if you had the whole email, but I just cut out the part where he is discussing Canada Day):

"I apologize for being so late with this, but I was on an airplane when this month’s notice of a Canadian Holiday came out. As you previously have seen, Queen Victoria Day, Boxing Day, Canadian Celebrity Day, Remembrance Day, etc….. all fall on days like April 11, December 26, etc…..

Well – After doing some research, apparently nothing noteworthy has ever occurred in Canada in July and as such, the Canadians felt they were getting shorted a holiday (never mind the 8 weeks of vacation they are entitled to). Therefore, and I have this on good authority, they decided to call July 1st Canada day as it “signifies the beginning of the second half of the year”. Kind of like halftime of a football game.

It is actually pretty simple. After working for 6 months with only 4 weeks of vacation and 7 holidays, they need a rest to get geared up for the stretch run where again they have 4 weeks of vacation but only 6 holidays.

And there you have it"

And my grandparents thought it was a good idea to move FROM Canada to Detroit. What were they smoking?

RichEdwards

To the two million Canadians who spend the winter in Florida, Happy Canada Day! The restaurants miss you, the golf courses miss you, and I do too. :wave: (But I do enjoy the reduction in traffic.)

" ........I received today from a business correspondent currently working in Canada "

Hmmm, I am sure it was tongue in cheek, but for those that favour the facts:

A noteworthy day indeed, July 1st is Canada's 142 nd Birthday since federation. A day filled with National pride and no less significant than America's July 4th, Independence Day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_Day

As to the the eight weeks of vacation/ann? I'll have some of what he's smoking.

Note to myself: Respect a Nation's pride.

Hey, where do I sign up for those eight weeks of holidays? :rofl:

It's called a "Green Card" but don't forget your health insurance! :rofl:

Dave McReynolds

My apologies, didn't mean to offend, and yes, I assume the remarks were not intended to be taken literally. I have the greatest respect for Canada, and appreciate having you as a neighbor. And I believe the sender of the email feels the same way; he chose the Canadian assignment, and I think he is thoroughly enjoying his time up there.

Cut this comment out of an email I received today from a business correspondent currently working in Canada (It would make more sense if you had the whole email, but I just cut out the part where he is discussing Canada Day):

"I apologize for being so late with this, but I was on an airplane when this month’s notice of a Canadian Holiday came out. As you previously have seen, Queen Victoria Day, Boxing Day, Canadian Celebrity Day, Remembrance Day, etc….. all fall on days like April 11, December 26, etc…..

Well – After doing some research, apparently nothing noteworthy has ever occurred in Canada in July and as such, the Canadians felt they were getting shorted a holiday (never mind the 8 weeks of vacation they are entitled to). Therefore, and I have this on good authority, they decided to call July 1st Canada day as it “signifies the beginning of the second half of the year”. Kind of like halftime of a football game.

It is actually pretty simple. After working for 6 months with only 4 weeks of vacation and 7 holidays, they need a rest to get geared up for the stretch run where again they have 4 weeks of vacation but only 6 holidays.

And there you have it"

Man, cheap shot. You have your national birthday on July 4th, we can’t have ours on July 1st?

8 weeks of vacation, yeah right.

And FYI, Canada has the second lowest number of national holidays in the world. (The USA has the least.)

Slight hijack, but the clip reminded me of it... Some of you may be familiar with the Canadian comedy, Corner Gas. There’s an episode where one of the characters (Bret) gets the Canadian and American national anthems all mixed up and ends up singing each the the other’s melody/music. Hilariously funny to hear, and hard to do as an actor too I suspect!

My apologies, didn't mean to offend...

I, for one, didn't think you were. Have a good holiday weekend. It's a little odd when it lands on a Wednesday.

I have no idea what a Kwanzaa is, but I suspect I'll be wiping coffee off my screen if I find out, Phil, do tell. Shoot, I am smiling already

:rofl:

My italics.

Seems like he didn't like Christmas so he created an alternative.

He said he didn't want to "imitate the practice of the dominant society"!

Basically, a guy called Ron Karenga created Kwanzaa in 1966 as the first specifically African-American holiday. Although the historical Juneteenth African American holiday had been celebrated since the late 1800's Karenga said his goal was to "...give Blacks an alternative to the existing holiday and give Blacks an opportunity to celebrate themselves and history, rather than simply imitate the practice of the dominant society.[/i

Ouch! :/ Good one.

But, hey, speaking of dominating, if only for a brief moment in history, may I remind you of 1812.

Archived