IGNORED

Revolutionary New Gerbings Technology Released Today

EffBee

Today, Gerbings released its new Microwire™ Jacket Liners which goes a long way toward completing the transition of the entire line of Gerbing products over to this exciting new Microwire™ technology. Since we're allowed a single commercial announcement of a new product (whether it's for our own company or our employer) and since I work for Gerbings, I'm going to take this opportunity to provide some details about Microwire™, how it came to be, and what its advantages are.

- - - - - - - - - -

Gerbings developed Microwire™ in response to a Department of Defense contract for heated clothing for Special Ops Forces. Of the conventional heating systems employed in motorcycle heated clothing at the time, none of it was up to the stress and strains that a soldier would put these items through, especially the demands of Special Ops. Carbon fiber wires were too brittle and thick, and common copper wire heated too slowly and eventually the military was able to get it to it fail. In a nutshell, the military wanted something stronger and more durable, thinner and lighter, and which would heat more rapidly. The answer to all these requirements was what we call Microwire™. And when we were done developing it, we patented it.

The wire in Microwire™ consists of bundles of hundreds microscopic stainless steel strands, each about 12 microns thick (about 1/4th the thickness of a human hair), twisted and wrapped in a thin Teflon-derived coating. Because heat escapes these strands from their circumferences, and because there are so many of these strands and they’re so tiny, Microwire™ heats instantly. No more waiting for the heat. It's there RIGHT NOW!

In the R&D process, we found that by altering the number of these strands in each wire, we were able to custom-tune the amount of heat. Additionally, by using these wires either in a heating pad, in a woven pattern or in our patented ribbon matrix, we could further tune how the heat is delivered. More, when using the ribbon matrix, we could refine the heat delivery even more by altering the number of wires in the ribbon (from 2 up to 6). It is this “tunability” to each garment application that is one of the major advantages of Microwire™. But it doesn’t stop there.

Being as tiny as they are, and made from stainless steel, our strands (and therefore our wire) is incredibly flexible and exceptionally rugged. Also, at about .025” (vs. about .075 for the copper resistance wire that’s been in use all these years), Microwire is exceptionally thin. So much so you can’t feel the wires. Another advantage is at this tiny size we’ve been able to reduce more than a pound from the weight of our Jacket Liner, with similar weight reductions in our other Microwire garments.

So, in the end, Microwire is thinner, lighter, stronger and more durable. And it heats up in just 10% of the time that the old copper wire required.

Microwire is substantially more expensive to produce. However, it is Gerbings’ intention to absorb this cost and hold its current retail prices, at least through the end of 2009.

Microwire is currently available in our Jacket Liners, G3 Gloves, Hybrid Gloves, T5 Gloves, NuBuck gloves, Glove Liners and Insoles. It will be available in our Vests and Pant Liners by Sept 1, 2009, and in our latest outerwear at approximately the same time.

Firefight911

Nice stuff Fernando!!

How will one distinguish between the old and new stuff when purchasing, other than the wire feel in the jacket.

Nothing on your web yet. Time frame to updates?

Availability dates?

Looking forward to it. Jamie needs a new jacket and I might also as my current size is not optimum and has its tendency to becoming uncomfortable as a result.

Thanks for the heads up.

Couchrocket

Fernando,

Thanks! So... if one were to order from Gerbings now, would one automatically get the new technology?

When will this be widely available at dealers like Brown's etc.?

And, will my existing controller and wires work with it?

....thinner, lighter, stronger....

Ah, the six million dollar liner.

I was gonna ask if Phil had his yet, but somehow I knew I'd be too late. :grin:

Look for a 'stich liner in the classifieds soon. :Cool:

The official release date is Sept 1. The website will be updated by then, as some dealers still have inventories of older Jacket Liners to move. However, we have made these new liners available as of July 1, for those dealers who want to begin stocking them early. Some dealers have stepped up to the plate, some have not (yet). Even if your dealer has not taken early delivery yet, if you ask them to order it for you, they can. If you decide to order from Gerbings directly, please specify Microwire just to be sure.

As for identifying them, the hang tags will talk of Microwire, and there is a small sewn tag along the right vertical seam, a few inches above the waist, that says "Microwire." Additionally, the "feel" of the heating wires is distinctly different. You can feel the wires in the copper-wire Jacket Liners. You almost can't in the Microwire ones. If you're not sure, ask if it's Microwire.

As for the gloves, they've been using Microwire for a few months now (and our Insoles have been, too), so most dealer inventories have transferred over to the new technology, but be sure to check the hang tags.

I'm going to be adding a picture to this thread a bit later, which will show you a close-up of Microwire. It's amazingly small stuff, yet it works so incredibly well.

Sound like a real breakthough. Is the power consumption and overall heat output (after steady state is reached) of the newer gear about the same as in the older technology? Are there any disadvantages, other than the potential higher cost later on?

Jay

Jay raises a good question.

Is it compatible with the BMW CAN bus system, or will it shut it down?

Phil wants to know. :grin:

Sound like a real breakthough. Is the power consumption and overall heat output (after steady state is reached) of the newer gear about the same as in the older technology? Are there any disadvantages, other than the potential higher cost later on?

Jay

The power consumption is slightly lower, per given area of coverage. It takes about 2% more power to heat up (which it does VERY quickly) then settles into a steady power draw that is about 6% less than before.

The vest will draw less than the 5Amp limit of the CANbus system, and it should not pose any problems. Same with the gloves, if used by themselves. However, the Jacket Liner was already well past the 5Amp CANbus limit, and it will remain so. You can still use the Battery Power Harness that comes with every Gerbings garment, and connect directly to the battery, completely bypassing the CANbus system. Another solution is to use the Gerbing Accessory Port Kit, and replace the BMW port with one from Gerbings (same type), which will connect directly to the battery. This also makes it possible to use a traditional battery tender through the accessory port.

Finally, there are CANbus bypass kits from Powerlet that will connect the existing accessory port straight to the battery. Just be sure to get the right kit with the right plug for the hidden end of the BMW accessory port. BMW changed this plug sometime after it introduced the R1200 series, and you have to make sure you get the right kit for your bike.

As to disadvantages, yes. You will likely not get your Gerbings back if you loan them to friends. Seriously, though, I've been using a prototype since I got up here. It has absolutely no drawbacks. The heat is as good or better, but because it radiates from more wire strands, it's actually gentler in a way. That's allowed us to close up the gaps between wires and produce a more even blanket of heat. There's even a slightly large heated area in each sleeve, so you'll probably notice that the heat now extends further down each arm.

mbelectric

ahhhhh...perhaps a good thing Widder closed the doors.... :grin:

pics please..

thanks FB

MB>

579519513_XrDQ8-L.jpg

OK, here's a photo of Microwire, with a key ring in the background for comparison. The key ring was selected because it is made from wire about as thick as the copper wire that's been in use all these years. Even though the Microwire is in the foreground and that makes it look larger than it is, you can still see that it is WAY thinner than what's come before it.

In the inset photo is a fanned-out section of our stainless steel conductive strands. Even though the photo has been magnified by a factor of about 90X, it's still difficult to see all of the strands, as this particular wire has about 600 of them. In fact, if you take a look at what appear to be single strands along the left edge of the photo, those are actually clusters of wires. Look along the right edge of the photo and focus carefully on the faint whisps of wire. THOSE are individual stainless steel Microwire strands.

No change in the dexterity due to the leather or materials in making the gloves. However, because Microwire is thinner, the gloves are a bit more supple than before.

Francois, our European distributor (in Holland) will likely have his first shipment in late August/early Sept.

Tim, all connectivity with Microwire garments is the same as with the previous copper-wire garments, i.e. your coaxial controller will work just fine.

EffBee,

Thanks for the heads-up. I was just thinking about other applications. Came up with using a heated liner while blowing snow with the Kubota tractor, and on my girlfriend until the car warms up.

Couchrocket

Nando....

Please comment on whether it will work with existing Gerbings controllers, etc.!

Thanks!

Scott, yes there is no change in connectivity. All Gerbings Microwire products will work with the existing controllers that have the coaxial plugs.

will the liner itself be made of a windproof material? Always struck me as silly to have to put a liner over my liner to protect from wind so it would actually warm up.

IE, mesh jacket + gerbing jacket X 40 degrees, = COLD!

will the liner itself be made of a windproof material? Always struck me as silly to have to put a liner over my liner to protect from wind so it would actually warm up.

40 degrees cold :rofl:You have be in Florida to long,,,

40 degrees cold :rofl:You have be in Florida to long,,,

Actually, with the humidity in Florida, 40 degrees and 65mph can be COLD.

The material from which the jacket liners are made has not changed. It is still a Teflon-coated nylon. It is wind-resistant and water-resistant, but far from wind-/water-proof. If you're riding in moist, 40-degree temps, I strongly suggest an outer jacket that isn't mesh. The Jacket Liners are designed to create smooth, even heat, not to replicate the functions of good outerwear. We do, however, have a line of wind-/water-proof outerwear that's also heated. It will have Microwire in it by Sept 1.

Thanks a bunch, Nando! A lot of good it'll do me here in West Africa! :cry:

Now I'll never be able to sell my old Gerbings liner..... :P

40 in a mesh jacket is cool anywhere when riding at speed. This was on a trip to PA in october, poor planning on my part, lol. I still hadnt replaced my kili jacket, but had the mesh, and didnt realise what the gerbing would function like. Frogg toggs over everything made life toasty, but bulky.

Sounds like some cool tech!

Thanks for the information on this. How about sizing? Is it still the same with the new jacket liners? Will a 46/32 still be a 46/32? Thanks, d.

Now I'm ticked I bought my 'old style' Gerbings last year and it will probably last for a decade :dopeslap: .

Any chance this tech will migrate to boot sole heaters? Not for my bike, but I have 4 women in my house who complain about cold feet while downhill skiing. The battery operated insole heaters I have seen are $180 which is outrageous and there should be a cheaper way to do this. Micro wire sounds like the way to go - perhaps weaved right into a rigid insole

Thanks for the information on this. How about sizing? Is it still the same with the new jacket liners? Will a 46/32 still be a 46/32? Thanks, d.

Gerbing updated from the numberic numbering system to an alpha system a bit less than two years ago. There are still plenty of sizes (and "in-between" sizes) plus two sleeve lengths to help ensure you of the ideal fit. Here's an example of the new sizing:

S-R (Small, Regular Sleeve)

S-L (Small, Long Sleeve)

M-R (Medium, Reg Sleeve)

M/L-R (Medium/Large, Reg Sleeve)

M/L-L (Medium/Large, Long Sleeve)

L-R (Large, Reg Sleeve)

L-L (Large, Long Sleeve)

L/XL-R (Large/XLarge, Reg Sleeve)

L/XL-L (Large/XLarge, Long Sleeve)

Etc. There are 21 basic sizes to help ensure yours fits correctly (from XXS-R to 4XL-R). Additionally, we stock "Talls" for long-torso customers. These are two inches longer in the body, and come to us from our factory with an unfinished sleeve length. We will have our Custom Tailoring Dept. finish the sleeve to the length you tell us. Specifics on how to properly measure your sleeve should be obtained from your Gerbings dealer or from our Customer Service Dept.

Finally, if you're a body type who doesn't fit ANY of the above, Gerbings' Custom Tailoring Dept. will custom-make a Jacket Liner for you at no additional charge. That's all part of the Customer Service you hear people rave about.

Now I'm ticked I bought my 'old style' Gerbings last year and it will probably last for a decade :dopeslap: .

Any chance this tech will migrate to boot sole heaters? Not for my bike, but I have 4 women in my house who complain about cold feet while downhill skiing. The battery operated insole heaters I have seen are $180 which is outrageous and there should be a cheaper way to do this. Micro wire sounds like the way to go - perhaps weaved right into a rigid insole

We offer Microwire Heated Insoles for motorcycle riders at 1/3 of the price you quote. And they are a hybrid, in that you can add a pair of rechargeable lithium-ion batteries (with individually built-in temp controller) and a dual charger. Depending on how much heat is needed, the batteries last from 1-4 hours. However, by the time you add the batteries and chargers, you won't exceed the price you quoted, but you'll not be all that far away.

Beyond individual batteries for each insole, we also offer a single, large, 12V 8A rechargeable that must be worn in a belt pack. It uses a Y-Harness to deliver power down to the insoles. This battery and charger alone will exceed the price you quoted above, but it's good for skiing all day long at a modest heat setting.

I'd say that is cool - but that would be the wrong adjective.

Just checked the website and it looks like an alternative to consider for skiing.

thanks

Finally, if you're a body type who doesn't fit ANY of the above, Gerbings' Custom Tailoring Dept. will custom-make a Jacket Liner for you at no additional charge.

Fernando, given the very wide size range, if you find someone who doesn't fit any of those choices and has to be custom fit, does he also get a free case of bananas?

Finally, if you're a body type who doesn't fit ANY of the above, Gerbings' Custom Tailoring Dept. will custom-make a Jacket Liner for you at no additional charge.

Fernando, given the very wide size range, if you find someone who doesn't fit any of those choices and has to be custom fit, does he also get a free case of bananas?

I did have one customer when I was at the BMW dealership, who required a 40" sleeve length (we measure sleeve lengths just like you do when buying a dress shirt, so 33-35" is normal). But truth be told, a greater percentage of the custom builds are for, uh, rounder people with shorter arms.

We also custom build some of our heated outerwear. However, because of the amount of work involved, there is a custom-tailoring fee for those product.

• 1 month later...
Firefight911

Been meaning to post to this but, I have had the opportunity to try out the new Gerbing jacket!

One word - Sign me up. :grin:

It is immediately apparent that you are dealing with something totally different than before. here are no wires to feel.

Good job Gerbing. Looks as though I may have to get a new jacket in the near future.

Thanks, Phil. Working there, I can tell you it's very easy to get caught up in the internal company hype. But when I rode with one of the prototype Microwire Jacket Liners back in February, I knew I'd made a good decision in coming to work for them. You really do have to try one on in order to understand how different they feel, how much warmer and more even the heat distribution, etc. etc. It's THAT much better.

As a consumer, I'm stoked. As an employee, I'm proud of what they've accomplished.

• 1 month later...

I own a Gerbings Heated Jacket Liner. The thinner wire, lighter weight and greater strength sound like a good upgrade.

In all reality Microwire looks like ordinary multi stranded stainless steel wire that has been around and used in many applications for many decades. Your trademark is a Word Mark has nothing to do with the technology itself.

I'm not trying to put the product down as I can see the advantages. Stainless steel has more resistance compared to copper so this allows the thinner wire to reduce weight while increasing tensile strength. By adding 600 strands you increase the flexibility dramatically.

The only drawback I can see would be in repairing a broken connector to the Microwire or the wire itself. But the increased strength might make that a non issue. Do broken wires and connections to the wires have a lifetime warranty?

BTW: You can change Microwire™ to Microwire® as you have a valid Trademark registration number now.

I love my Gerbings gear, it keeps me warm.

I hate my Gerbings gear, it feels like I left a coat hanger in it.

If I buy new gear, will I totally love it or still feel like an old electric blanket?

If you're anywhere near Bob's BMW, give them a call. They've got the new Microwire Jacket Liner for you to try on. In fact, starting October 10, Gerbings will be working with selected dealers on a "Test Ride" program that will let you take a Microwire Jacket Liner out for a short spin. Bob's hasn't signed up as a participating dealer in this program, but we expect they likely will.

A list of all Authorized Gerbing Test Ride Centers will soon be on the Gerbings website.

I own a Gerbings Heated Jacket Liner. The thinner wire, lighter weight and greater strength sound like a good upgrade.

In all reality Microwire looks like ordinary multi stranded stainless steel wire that has been around and used in many applications for many decades. Your trademark is a Word Mark has nothing to do with the technology itself.

I'm not trying to put the product down as I can see the advantages. Stainless steel has more resistance compared to copper so this allows the thinner wire to reduce weight while increasing tensile strength. By adding 600 strands you increase the flexibility dramatically.

The only drawback I can see would be in repairing a broken connector to the Microwire or the wire itself. But the increased strength might make that a non issue. Do broken wires and connections to the wires have a lifetime warranty?

BTW: You can change Microwire™ to Microwire® as you have a valid Trademark registration number now.

Mike? Irvine?

Microwire® is a validly registered trademark. If I erred in using ™ when I should have used ® , then that's my fault.

As for the wire itself, multi-strand using copper, stainless and other conductive elements have been around for a while. Our challenge was to develop just the right strand thickness, in just the right number of strands per application (they differ in our products), mixed in with just the right weave spacing, and using just the right insulating coating, all in just the right combinations.

First we went through the process of developing this matrix for each of the applications we had assigned us under the DoD contract. And, that military contract expanded to include more applications while we were still in development of the wiring matrix for the first application. So it took a long time to meet all the demands of the military. But we eventually got it done and then we patented what we'd created.

You're right in that stainless wire has been around. But we did develop it to the point where we could control how it behaved, i.e. exactly as WE wanted it to in providing the type and amount of heat we want for each of our products, both civilian and military. Plus it has outdoor/sportsman application for our new line of portable heated products that are heading for the Big Box stores and major catalogs this winter. In the process we learned how fast the military is able to make copper wire fail, why they abandoned carbon fiber decades ago, and what it takes to build a heating system that is rugged enough to meet mil-spec.

Will Microwire never fail? Naw, we're sure we'll get a few somewhere down the road. After all, the military couldn't possibly be as creative as civilians can be. But are we confident that Microwire is more rugged, thinner and lighter than other systems? Yes. And does it heat about 10X faster than copper wire did? You bet.

As for any possible broken connectors, there's no soldering with stainless, so it's easy to fix if it ever comes to that. And yes, Microwire carries the same lifetime wiring warranty that Gerbing products have always had.

All of this is not to demean copper wire products. We used it for decades and it has served the motorcycling community reasonably well. But time, and progress, march on. And Gerbings is proud to be at the forefront.

Gerbing updated from the numberic numbering system to an alpha system a bit less than two years ago. There are still plenty of sizes (and "in-between" sizes) plus two sleeve lengths to help ensure you of the ideal fit. Here's an example of the new sizing:

S-R (Small, Regular Sleeve)

S-L (Small, Long Sleeve)

M-R (Medium, Reg Sleeve)

M/L-R (Medium/Large, Reg Sleeve)

M/L-L (Medium/Large, Long Sleeve)

L-R (Large, Reg Sleeve)

L-L (Large, Long Sleeve)

L/XL-R (Large/XLarge, Reg Sleeve)

L/XL-L (Large/XLarge, Long Sleeve)

Etc. There are 21 basic sizes to help ensure yours fits correctly (from XXS-R to 4XL-R). Additionally, we stock "Talls" for long-torso customers. These are two inches longer in the body, and come to us from our factory with an unfinished sleeve length. We will have our Custom Tailoring Dept. finish the sleeve to the length you tell us. Specifics on how to properly measure your sleeve should be obtained from your Gerbings dealer or from our Customer Service Dept.

Finally, if you're a body type who doesn't fit ANY of the above, Gerbings' Custom Tailoring Dept. will custom-make a Jacket Liner for you at no additional charge. That's all part of the Customer Service you hear people rave about.

I just contacted Gerbing's to purchase a heated liner for my wife. My wife is 4' 10 1/2" and 95 lbs. She wears size 0 to 1. Her chest is 32" and sleeve length is 28". I was told by Carrie at Gerbing that the xxs heated liner would be to big and she would not be able to custom fit her. This goes against your post. Is there a way to obtain a heated liner for my wife?

I just contacted Gerbing's to purchase a heated liner for my wife. My wife is 4' 10 1/2" and 95 lbs. She wears size 0 to 1. Her chest is 32" and sleeve length is 28". I was told by Carrie at Gerbing that the xxs heated liner would be to big and she would not be able to custom fit her. This goes against your post. Is there a way to obtain a heated liner for my wife?

I have some information for you on some custom-sizing and pricing that I'm not allowed to discuss openly, due to board policies. But I will send you a PM with the details. Basically, we do have one that will fit your wife. It's not a regular size, but was a XXXS custom-made for a customer who lost her job and canceled the order. It's small enough for a large child, or it will fit your wife almost perfectly. Either way, look for a PM and if you're interested please respond today, Monday, as I'm leaving in the morning for Torrey, UT and won't be back until the following Wed.

Archived