IGNORED

2010 Roush 427R

Art..

russell_bynum

Power's nice (and lots of power is really nice), but if it can't go around corners, I ain't interested.

Did they do anything to fix the chassis, which I believe is made of silly putty? Did that change the suspension to something that is better suited to a sports car than a covered wagon?

Lisa had a '98 GT. A friend at work has one of the new ones. They sound awesome and go like stink in a straight line, but they handle like crap.

Nice, but the shelby trips my trigger. From what I understand, Carrol Shelby had no real involvement in the car. Still, really cool! :thumbsup:

Now were talkin' midlife crisis! mwink.gif

2010gt500.jpg

Pat

The Shelby has a solid axle = No handle nice.

The Roush has a real suspension under it = Handle mo better.

Ford decided to save $10,000 by not putting suspension work into it, which probably was a good decision, since most of us drive in a straight line (i.e 'the freeway') more often than we bet to try to go around corners quickly.

russell_bynum
The Shelby has a solid axle = No handle nice.

The Roush has a real suspension under it = Handle mo better.

Ford decided to save $10,000 by not putting suspension work into it, which probably was a good decision, since most of us drive in a straight line (i.e 'the freeway') more often than we bet to try to go around corners quickly.

I have a hard time believing that it would cost Ford 10K to put decent suspension in a 'stang given the number of cheaper cars with independent suspension. It isn't just that, though...the chassis needs to be stiffened BIG TIME.

I see suspension as a safety feature as much as performance, but maybe that's just me.

At any rate...those are nice looking cars and I'll bet the 427R is a riot to drive.

Ford did put an IRS on the rear of a production Mustang in 1999 - they outsourced to Benteler. It arrived at the factory as an assembled unit. I don't think the cost of doing it again would be near $10k, especially given that the relatively inexpensive new Camaro is IRS. However, it is all steel components and adds about 100 lbs over a straight axle.

As much as I like the Roush Mustang, you could order a stripper M3 for about $8k more, and you would have more HP, better brakes, better suspension, better gearbox, better...everything.

John Ranalletta

It's amazing the venerable 427 of my youth survives 40+ years later.

In the 60's, I hung around with some heavy-duty Ford racers. One friend had a Shelby 427.

It had the very first Hurst shifter fabbed for a Cobra. When it arrived (w/ extra motor),

we crated and shipped both to Holman/Moody for blueprinting and balancing. After he sold

the Cobra for $5k (eek), he bought a Ford Thunderbolt and we campaigned it unsuccessfully

up to the nationals in Indy for a couple of seasons until he crashed it. It was

delivered with driver controls, 427, fiberglass doghouse and it was ready to race from the

factory.

Another fellow had a 63 1/2 Fastback with a H/M 427. It had a set of heads from a

Parnelli Jones motor, sodium filled valves and all. It was mated to a manual trans with o/d.

Man, could that big sled run!!!!!!!

A third member of the group, Jim Fields, was a magician with Ford motors. One day,

a race team that knew Jim and his reputation dropped by the shop. So happens they

had a couple of race-prepped GT40s in their trailers.

I've always coveted a 427-powered Ford. In 1969, upon graduating from college,

I bought a 1969 351 ci Fairlane Torino GT Fastback in green w/ gold stripe.

Very cool. Whenever I see an early-60's Ford with the eagle emblem on the fender

aft the front wheel, I always check to see if it's the 390 or the 427.

John Ranalletta
Not to hijack, but why do we never see one of the original 100 Thunderbolts at Barrett Jackson?
I've not ever seen another since the '60s.

As much as I like the Roush Mustang, you could order a stripper M3 for about $8k more, and you would have more HP, better brakes, better suspension, better gearbox, better...everything.

Yeah, but the stigma............ :grin:

cockometer.jpg

russell_bynum

Yeah, but the stigma............ :grin:

cockometer.jpg

:grin:

Lone_RT_rider

I've been a Mustang lover since I purchased a 1995 Mustang GT back in the 90's, but lately... I have had something else in mind....

580936008_RMXrU-XL.jpg

Archived