IGNORED

Mt. Washington at Sunrise?

Woodie

Anyone interested in an EARLY morning ride to the top of Mt. Washington to catch the sunrise?

It's on my list of to-dos, but it might not make the Oh-Dark-Thirty list of things. ;)

Looks like you can sleep in. The road is open early enough for a sunrise on just three days during the summer. ( June 28, July 26, Aug 30)

Nice n Easy Rider
Anyone interested in an EARLY morning ride to the top of Mt. Washington to catch the sunrise?

It's on my list of to-dos, but it might not make the Oh-Dark-Thirty list of things. ;)

I pulled this off the web from the Mount Washington Observatory Forums site:

"They open the road up early for sunrise. The three dates this year are Sunday, June 28th from 0330 to 1800 EDT, Sunday, July 26th from 0400 to 1800 EDT, and Sunday, August 30th from 0430 to 1800 EDT. The road is open even if there is fog. Actual sunrises are at 0457, 0519, and 0559 for the three dates. If the summit is clear, they are very popular and people have to wait in a line of cars at the base to come up so arriving early is recommended. It takes an hour or more to get up as well pending on who you are stuck behind."

So, two questions: (1) is the road open early only on those dates listed? and (2) even if the road were open, what time would one have to leave Lancaster to get to the summit in time to catch the sunrise?

:S

:P:(

Cross THAT off my list. Moving right along to the non-sunrise trip. Anyone else interested in that?

Looks to be about 45 mins from Roger's to the bottom of the auto road.

Paul Mihalka

I had a hard time finding it on the Mt. Washington site, but road opening hours in August are 7.30am to 6pm.

Nice n Easy Rider

Cross THAT off my list. Moving right along to the non-sunrise trip. Anyone else interested in that?

I'm a definite maybe. Will probably depend on how well the ride up from NC goes, how many other rides I want to do, and the weather. But having grown up in New England but never having been to Mt. Washington I'd like to try to fit it in. :)

I was denied access both May and June on the RT. Both times there was ice/slush/snow. I'd say the road is hit-or-miss well into July. Early morning times are limited.

I've been up there several times & it never gets old for me. It's truly a thrill. It really should be a must do for the out of towners. :thumbsup:

In # 2 :grin:

Pat

Moving right along to the non-sunrise trip. Anyone else interested in that?

I’m definitely interested, Donna less so. She’s worried that it is an ohmygawd race to the top and big pucker factor scream back down kind of a thing. (Not that we’ve ever been on that sort of a ride with this bunch or anything. Where did she ever get such an idea??)

I understand though that it really is a slow climb & decent sort of a thing though, correct?

I understand though that it really is a slow climb & decent sort of a thing though, correct?

I rode up it about five years ago; you would be correct. The day I did it (late May), it was sunny, warm and clear at the bottom. At the summit it was very cool, quite windy and very limited visibility.

I will not be racing up! It's a "smell the roses" trip to the top.

I'm interested in the Cog Railway too...maybe park the bike, take the train down and then back up again? That would save having to drive around the bottom of the mountain from the auto road to the railway.

With my fear of heights I won't be riding up or down on my bike.

I'll be serving horsey durves (crackers) on the Cog Railway :grin:

Correct... I did not get above 2nd gear going up and was mostly in 1st. 2nd gear going down to hold the bike back and keep the brakes cool. Passing is not allowed though I did see some racer bikers do this on the way down. There is a pucker factor involved but it's not from the speed. The hair pin turns and narrow road will prevent any real riding down fast above the treeline. Make the trip up and Go your own pace.

Then again, there is always the Cog rail on the other side of the mountain which also goes to the summit.

As was mentioned, the sunrise dates will not be during the UNrally. That will mean the auto road opens mid-morning and it could still be much cooler up top. On the loop we have mapped out which incorporates the auto road, I have you climbing it in the afternoon.

Paul

I will not be racing up! It's a "smell the roses" trip to the top.

I'm interested in the Cog Railway too...maybe park the bike, take the train down and then back up again? That would save having to drive around the bottom of the mountain from the auto road to the railway.

I like your thinking here...

Also, the White Mountains route includes stops at the both the base of the auto road and the cog rail to give people the option for either/both.

For people willing to take a very good unpaved road, there is a shortcut from UN HQ to the cog rail station. It's called Jefferson Notch and comes highly recommended by the locals... again, if you don't mind an unpaved road.

Paul

Okay I’m guilty of lurking around, not posting but Woodie I really like the idea of Sunrise on top of Mount Washington. I was once told that I could not climb the antenna of the empire state building. The excitement of the climb only added to the grandeur of the Manhattan skyline. Last year when I departed John Day, OR in route to the west coast to witness a sunset I wasn’t so lucky when I ignored the signs warning of the Mackenzie Pass closure. It turned out to be a 160 mile detour ok not such a bad thing on a motorcycle. My point being gates are left open all the time. Not even sure if there is a gate this is going to a first for me also. I blame Paul for not scheduling UN in conjunction with early opening of auto road. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Are there any hearty souls amongst us that are willing to throw caution to the wind ignore signs and take in the sunrise while atop Mt. Washington. Or not; what do you have to lose a couple hours sleep? If a covert mission to the top Mt, Washington interests you let it be known. And maybe members of that other site will stop referring to us as Mr. Rodgers Group.

PS Paul, only kidding great unjob

Dear "Hearty Soul"

I have reviewed your request for an early UNride up the Mt. Washington Auto Road at sUNrise... While I will not be able to accommodate your request to open the gate as I will be comfortably sleeping in my UNeighborhood bedroom, I do have two other options for a truly "Adventure(ous) Rider" such as yourself.

1. Park your bike at Marshfield Station and take the last CogRail train up to the summit. Tent out overnight, view sunrise, and take the first CogRail train down in the morning.

2. Hike overnight into the Great Ravine and up the Headwall to arrive at the summit just in time for sunrise. Spend the rest of the UNday hiking back out.

I look forward to reading the Ride Tale with great anticipation!

Sincerely Yours,

Mr. Rogers :grin::grin::grin:

PS: I will buy you a cocktail if you tell me the story one night of how you climbed the Empire State Building Antenna. :Cool:

Calvin  (no socks)

I always have to sleep level... 15 degrees would be too much inclination... ;)

PS: I will buy you a cocktail if you tell me the story one night of how you climbed the Empire State Building Antenna. :Cool:

Cocktails with internet/moto buddies how can I refuse. Oh by the way are you familair with security procedures at mount washington. ;)

Your alternate ideas are totally UNacceptable. Train ride, hiking not this UNrally enthusiast I plan on cresting the summit with my legs straddling my mechanized steed....

Paul Mihalka

The only way I see it is possible to be on top of Mt. Washington at sunrise with your bike is to ride up in the afternoon, set up camp, watch the sunrise next morning, and ride down again. All that if the authorities let you. I love a beautiful sunrise, but not THAT much...

Matts_12GS
You know......I was just eyeballing a new 15 degree sleeping bag last night :grin:
I have one of those too...

Hmmm!

• 2 weeks later...

What was ever decided on a non-sunrise group trip up? Day? (Monday is the ice cream run to Ben & Jerry's for some of us.)

What was ever decided on a non-sunrise group trip up? Day? (Monday is the ice cream run to Ben & Jerry's for some of us.)

Hi Ken... Yes, I really do recommend taking the route UN81 White Mountains National Forest. At 256 miles, it isn't too long and includes a mid-morning ride up Mt. Washington plus several other great sections like Crawford, Franconia, Evans Notches and The Kancamagus Scenic Byway. Could leave you time for another loop if you wanted to push it or you might be able to do that and B&J on one day if you did a more direct run for the ice cream on Rt 2. Wouldn't recommend riding two loops on Tuesday as that is the group dinner. Maybe just one of the longer loops that day.

Something else to consider is a stop at Ben & Jerry's on your way east from BarNone's lake house. With some tweaks to the middle and north runs, it is basically on the way.

Archived