IGNORED

TBS Going Out Of Sync

roggiedog

Got a question for you folks. When I do a TB sync, all is well for a day or two then I find the vibration coming back. When I check the sync at idle, it's gone way off again. Has anyone had an issue with the BBS unscrewing? I'm thinking that the orings aren't giving enough friction to hold the screw in place. I'm going to end up adjusting once more and checking how far each one is. Then a couple days later when it goes out again, see if one or the other has moved. Anyone have this happen?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

Magic marker works great for the regular guy on something like this. Scribe a line across the BBS head and continue onto the TBody. Digital picture might work just as well.

Alternatively, you can spend a bunch of money for Torque Paint that does the same thing but also holds it in place for small forces.

Got a question for you folks. When I do a TB sync, all is well for a day or two then I find the vibration coming back. When I check the sync at idle, it's gone way off again. Has anyone had an issue with the BBS unscrewing? I'm thinking that the orings aren't giving enough friction to hold the screw in place. I'm going to end up adjusting once more and checking how far each one is. Then a couple days later when it goes out again, see if one or the other has moved. Anyone have this happen?

roggiedog, your BBS are not moving (just take note of the screw slots in relation to where they were right after the balance)..

How is the off-idle 2000-3000-4000 RPM balance? Is it also changing.. The idle balance should have no effect on higher RPM vibration as long as the sync is still good at higher RPM’s..

On your balance changing? -- Look for tight throttle cables not fully allowing the throttle plate cams to fully seat on the stops when real hot,, look for worn throttle plate shafts or worn throttle shaft bores in the TBI castings,, look for air leaks in the TBI boots between the TBI & cyl head,, look for a valve getting tight as the engine gets hot,, look for coking of the BBS screw bores or screw tips..

How far off is the balance at idle anyways?

Twisty

Try this

Pull the BBS all the way out, get some TB cleaner spray and squirt down the hole and clean the BBS. Do one side at a time, put back to 1 and a half turns out and then sync your TB.

Cleaning mine cured some tuning problems I was having.

My cheap advice for the day :thumbsup:

Don J

When you adjust your cables for the off idle adjustments, make sure you are holding the outer sheath so that it does not turn with the adjuster. If the housing is turning, it will slowly return to the original position. Older cables will have a slight groove in them. Turned slightly will add more tension on the cable, and slowly get looser as they return to sliding in the worn slot..

Also make sure both TBs are truly on their idle stop screws when doing a sync. One too tight holding the TB slightly up and off the stop will cause this kind of irregularity.

Archived