IGNORED

Hi, everyone. Newbie from Southern CA in the house!

TC92606

I spent the past few days surfing the web looking for a forum that discusses BMW bikes. When I came across this site, I knew my search was over. The amount of information available here is second to none.

I just bought a 2001 R1100RS last week. (It's my first bike with a power windshield and on the ride home, I almost cried laughing with joy)

I am in Orange County, California. Is there a regular hangout place in my neighborhood? I plan on replacing the engin, gearbox, and FD oil this week since it's a used bike and I rather be safe than sorry before I ride.

I haven't done any major work on a BMW bikes and like to know if any more experienced rider can share some knowledge with me in person. (I used to own mostly Japanese bikes and maintenance was quite simple)

All in all, I appreciate all the hard work put in by this site's admins and members and would love to make a few friends here. Ride safe, everyone :)

welcome and congrats on the moto. fill in your profile when you get a chance. the extertise on this site for anything bmw is unmatched. good luck.

Welcome! :wave:

I just bought a 2001 R1100RS last week. (It's my first bike with a power windshield

Do you mean twist the knob power? If not, you have one special bike! :thumbsup:

Fun place to hang! :)

Pat

Welcome to the asylum... enjoy!

And Yes, this is the place for all the info and friends, and trips, and plans and...etc.

Here, have some Kool-Aid.

Welcome.....You'll find this is a great site for assistance from folks with hands-on knowledge.......Suggest you get Jim Von Baden's DVD's first off.....Very good for basic maintenance and he lays out the tools needed for each operation.....Well worth the cost....Jim is also a member here....No affiliation, just a happy customer...

Jim's Boxer Maintenance DVD's......

Yeah..... got excited and decided to change the oils I mentioned yesterday this afternoon... I have to say draining the gearbox oil didn't turn out the way I anticipated.... I cut a 1 1/2 inch pipe and made it nearly identical to the drain pipe BMW sells. (I stopped by a dealer to check out the real thing) I fit the drain pipe in, everything was snug and nice, but when I removed the bolt, the gearbox oil was EVERYWHERE... freaked me out to say the least. ended up spending an hour just to clean the floor up... Anyone has any tips on how to avoid making a mess when draining gearbox oil? I was told that one good approach is to get a red bull can and cut it to fit. Works even better than the drain pipe from BMW. Anyone can confirm this?

Hey TC,

Welcome to the DB. We're actually going to be doing some wrenchin' on July 5th in San Diego. You're welcome to come down if you'd like. Send me a Private Message (PM) for directions, etc.

Welcome to the board, and definatly take Cool Jamie up on his offer. I attended a tech day at his house shortly after I got my first BMW (R1100RTP). It was fantastic, I learned alot and everyone was great.

I spent the past few days surfing the web looking for a forum that discusses BMW bikes. When I came across this site, I knew my search was over. The amount of information available here is second to none.

I just bought a 2001 R1100RS last week. (It's my first bike with a power windshield and on the ride home, I almost cried laughing with joy)

I am in Orange County, California. Is there a regular hangout place in my neighborhood? I plan on replacing the engin, gearbox, and FD oil this week since it's a used bike and I rather be safe than sorry before I ride.

I haven't done any major work on a BMW bikes and like to know if any more experienced rider can share some knowledge with me in person. (I used to own mostly Japanese bikes and maintenance was quite simple)

All in all, I appreciate all the hard work put in by this site's admins and members and would love to make a few friends here. Ride safe, everyone :)

Congrats on your acquisition!

You should also check out the South Coast BMW Riders Club. We have a breakfast meeting once a month (usually on the first Sunday). We also have an overnighter once a month (sometimes camping, sometimes not). We have a picnic coming up on July 19th. If you are a member and your dues are paid up, the picnic is free. This would also apply if you brought your membership application and dues with you to the picnic. You can find out more at http://www.scbmwrc.com. If you have any questions, you can pm me.

Wow.... I am already receiving warm welcomes and I just signed up a couple days ago. How awesome are the people on this site?

Bad news, though. I took my first real ride with my bike for about an hour today and noticed a big problem. Shifting from 3rd to 2nd was difficult and at times got into false neutral. (Praying that I don't have to lube the spline or I just might burn the bike...)

I will try to find time in the next couple days to check out the shift linkage and see if it's loose. Hopefully, adjusting the shift linkage and lubing it will solve the problem. Otherwise.... I guess my 4th of July will be a lonely one in the garage.... :(

Wow.... I am already receiving warm welcomes and I just signed up a couple days ago. How awesome are the people on this site?

Bad news, though. I took my first real ride with my bike for about an hour today and noticed a big problem. Shifting from 3rd to 2nd was difficult and at times got into false neutral. (Praying that I don't have to lube the spline or I just might burn the bike...)

I will try to find time in the next couple days to check out the shift linkage and see if it's loose. Hopefully, adjusting the shift linkage and lubing it will solve the problem. Otherwise.... I guess my 4th of July will be a lonely one in the garage.... :(

Lonely? You have your fine new ride to keep you company! Ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

Welcome, you'll find the BMW very easy to work on. (Once you make or acquire all the special tools!)

They do shift kind of clunky compared to Japanese bikes, but once you learn the "technique" they shift fine. hopefully that's all it is?

Have a happy 4th.

Go see Jamie and Les on the 5th. Jamie is at "Guru" status on oilhead maintenance and repair, and has a fully equipped garage. He is a former administrator on the board. His wife, Les, is the board owner (Les is more).

You can't go wrong with those two.

Welcome, TC. Ditto what Old Geezer said above. The SCBMWRC is a great group, with regular rides, get-togethers, and also local assistance on wrenching if needed.

I have to say I've never experienced as much support from a forum than from here. The technical information, the pictures people dig out to show me how things are done, and the personal side notes have helped me greatly. I will definitely do my best to show up at Jamie's place on the 5th. Ride safe, everyone, and have a great Independence Day Weekend!!! :)

sebjones906

On the second Tuesday of the month, about 7ish, we get together for some lying and story telling. It's Coffee Klatch night.

North to San Dimas on 57 Freeway, west on Arrow Highway, first stop light turn left into the Target Center Parking lot. Coffee Klatch is one of the first businesses on the left.

Everyone welcome, bring a story. Next meeting July 14.

My bad... My bike is really an R1100RT-P. Not an R1100RS. I went to DMV to register my bike and under "BODY TYPE MODEL" it states "RS" and I thought that's the model of my bike. I just learned that "RS" stands for Road/Street in DMV language. I was confused myself since I couldn't find any R1100RS-T online and was thinking was my RS really that unique...???? :S Sorry, didn't mean to confuse everyone. This is my first BMW bike and my understand of these bikes is pretty limited to say the least :dopeslap:

Well, whatever BMW you're riding, this is a great place to hang out & get the all the support you want.

Welcome aboard! Do try hard to make the July 5th. tech day. Jamie's forgotten more then I've even learned about "wrenchin" & you'll not meet better folks the Leslie, Jamie & those they welcome to their home.

Enjoy the (new-to-you) Bike too! :thumbsup:

beemerman2k

Very.

At 60K, my RT exhibited these same symptoms. I rode it for 10K more miles without addressing it. Then, my transmission gave out on me northbound on the 5 in Pacoima (I was living in LA at the time). So I wouldn't put off addressing this issue.

Welcome to the board :thumbsup:

Beemerman2k, thank you for the suggestion. I most definitely will look into it. I believe my schedule worked out and I can go to Jamie's place tomorrow. This is my first BMW (non-Japanese) bike and there's definitely tons to learn before I can comfortably tune it myself. It's July 4th, my friends. Go out and enjoy life :)

Archived