IGNORED

Routes to the UN from the Southeast

Nice n Easy Rider

Nice n Easy Rider

Having just driven up and back to western Massachusetts on I-95 (sorry to have missed the 1st Rubber Chicken Rendezvous!) any thoughts of using this route up to the UN were quickly dispelled. Traffic was horrendous (even mid-day and mid-afternoon on Sunday) and there were multiple 5+ mile backups at construction sites.

I'm looking to get there with 2 days of riding so my current alternative is I-81 but that is about 115+ miles further than the I-95 route. I was thinking of I-81 north to Scranton PA and then I-84E to I-91N, etc. But I have no idea what the traffic might be like on I-81 and whether there is construction or other issues. Can anyone tell me what I-81 is like nowadays (I haven't driven it for years) and does anyone have any alternative routes that might not require more than two 500 mile days (and not too much time in the saddle). I figure my butt is probable good for no more than 10 hr/day right now.

I would definitely say to avoid I-95. Not really a pleasant ride and I generally only ride it in the middle of the night. He is one route I might suggest:

If you can push out to I-81 anywhere south of Washington DC and take that up to Scranton, that would be my first choice. Otherwise take I-95 to I-83 north of Baltimore; I-81 in Harrisburg; I-84 in Scranton... THEN, I would take the Taconic State Parkway (Exit 16, east of Hudson River) north to I-90 and continue on to Troy, New York.

From there, take Rt.2 along the Mohawk Trail for some great riding to I-91 and then North up to St. Johnsbury, VT where you will pick up a different Rt.2 and follow that all the way into Lancaster.

There are lots of variations on this including taking I-81 all the way up to I-88 then take I-87 north to Ft. Ticonderoga (Rt. 73 is lots of fun) or even farther to Burlington and cross Lake Champlain on the Ferry where you then get on Rt 2 east straight into Lancaster.

Hope this helps!

Paul

I just rode I81 up from MD through Scranton to I84 and on to I87.

For now there are no construction issues. There is of course the issue of lots of trucks on the two lane road but it thins out after the I78 split past Harrisburg. I84 is very lightly travelled.

Ditto to Paul's suggestions.

Kelly says 15-20 minuted delay but not worth trying to circumvent. Lane splitting legal in PA?

No it's not and would likely have someone pinch the lane off.

Kelly says 15-20 minuted delay but not worth trying to circumvent. Lane splitting legal in PA?

No it's not and would likely have someone pinch the lane off.

+1

Every traffic jam is a Type-A personalityfest

• 2 weeks later...

Have you folks from the southeast planned your routes to the Un yet? What route are you taking? When are you leaving?

I am leaving from northeast TN probably on Saturday morning(possibly Friday). Currently I plan to slab it up I81 for a ways and then tour thru the Adironaks and then to Lancaster from there(not definate on the exact route yet).

I will probably leave Friday, maybe Thursday from Tallahassee, head up 75 to 20 to 81, then maybe take RT 7 or 84 from Danbury into the Boston area. I am stopping in the Boston area to visit family prior to arriving at UN headquarters on Monday.

Nice n Easy Rider

My current plan is to pick up I-81 somewhere northwest of Lynchburg VA and then I-81 N, I-84 E, I-91 N, and finally, Rt 2 to Lancaster. This obviously isn't a scenic route but I changed my plans from arriving on Monday to arriving on Sunday evening and since I'm planning on starting out on Sat. AM I figured I needed to slab it to make it in 2 days. I'll probably find a motel somewhere around Wilkes-Barre PA which would be about 500 miles from home and a little over half-way of the 950 mile ride.

If I'm feeling good (and weather cooperates) and can make 550 or 600 miles on Sat. I might take a more scenic route up from I-84E, picking up the Taconic State Parkway in NY and then coming over Rt 2 (Mohawk Trail) in MA to pick up I-91 at Greenfield MA.

Rt. 11 is a good alternative to I81 when you see or hear of traffic tie ups ahead. It's a small road with lights, but traffic is normally light with good stretches of non-stop driving. Works great to bounce on and off 81 or when you've just had enough of the trucks and want a break.

Ken,

From the Adirondacks into Lancaster, BarNone has several routes he is considering for the Pied Pipers to lead them in. Check that thread for the routes.

See you in a few weeks!

Paul

RoanokeRider

How about I-81 to Binghamton, then I-88 to I-90 for a short ways and then I-87 to Route 4 across VT. Then I-91 to the turn off for Lancaster. Anybody ridden on these roads? Need to slab it most of the way going up, a little more time going home. Any suggestions appreciated.

Paul Mihalka
How about I-81 to Binghamton, then I-88 to I-90 for a short ways and then I-87 to Route 4 across VT. Then I-91 to the turn off for Lancaster. Anybody ridden on these roads? Need to slab it most of the way going up, a little more time going home. Any suggestions appreciated.

If you have to slab it, I would take I81 to past Harrisburg PA, I78 east, I287 north, then I87 north. It is the fastest way toward Albany NY. I've done it a few times.

If you have to slab it, I would take I81 to past Harrisburg PA, I78 east, I287 north, then I87 north. It is the fastest way toward Albany NY. I've done it a few times.

+1

I drive to upstate VT at least once or twice a year and this is definitely the most direct route from PA to get there.

• 3 weeks later...
RoanokeRider

Ok, we decided on I-81 to I-78 to Allentown then US-22 to US-33 and then US-209 thru the Water Gap and I-84 east. Spend the night in Middletown. Then likely continue on I-84 to Hartford and I-91 north. Allready have a room in Middletown but any suggestions on something better or to avoid, let me know. Leaving Roanoke Sun early AM. If anyone sees us alonng the route, say hi. 2 up on a baritz blue R1150RT pulling a (gasp) small white cargo trailer. See evryone there.

Just be careful in and around Hartford. If you are hopping off on 91N then you should miss the worst of it, but the traffic does get a little crazy. I don't know what sick bastard designed their interchange system, but it looks like someone modeled it after a plate of fettuccine. If you can, you might try and hit it during non-rush hour.

I-91 through Springfield, MA is no joy either! :(

Personally, I would take the Taconic Parkway and avoid central CT altogether!

RoanokeRider

The parkway does sound better but I don't think the trailer is allowed.

RoanokeRider
Just be careful in and around Hartford. If you are hopping off on 91N then you should miss the worst of it, but the traffic does get a little crazy. I don't know what sick bastard designed their interchange system, but it looks like someone modeled it after a plate of fettuccine. If you can, you might try and hit it during non-rush hour.

We have been thru Hartford a couple of times and it does seem pretty bad. Last time we were up there the road surface was real bad also. Do you know if I can get to 91N from the HOV lanes?

The parkway does sound better but I don't think the trailer is allowed.

Correct, the Taconic does NOT allow trailers. The best alternative to the Taconic would be Rt 22 (about 18 miles east of the Taconic) which could be picked up from either I-84 or I-684 in Brewster, NY and runs along the eastern edge of NYS.

The HOV lanes end before you get to the interchange area in Hartford. I-91 road surface isn't too bad now.

I-91 has construction just north of Springfield, then again further north of Spfld, then again near Brattleboro, VT. (We got off there, so don't know any further than that). This is lane closures, and/or land shifts.

For those not familiar with Rt 22, it is a 55 MPH, relatively straight, single lane in each direction highway, with just a double yellow in between the lanes and few lights. The lanes are wide enough to accommodate the largest of trucks and runs through some pretty country as it lies on the easterly sided of the Taconic range and on the westerly side of the Berkshires and Green Mountains.

+1 on Rt22. It is a fun road and not too heavily patrolled unlike the Taconic.
Agreed. From above I-84 when going north, if we want to take our time with a Zen like ride at a little above posted speed through plush rolling hills with gentle sweepers with no commercial vehicles or trailers, then it's the Taconic. If we want to MAKE time on a very nice, wide open commercial road to get to the Berkshires or Green Mountains in the shortest time it's Rt 22.
RoanokeRider

Ok, sounds like 22 would be better and then maybe 7 thru Bennington and 11 and 103 over to I91 above (hopefully) most of the construction. Thanks for the assistance.

Ok, sounds like 22 would be better and then maybe 7 thru Bennington (to Manchester) and 11 and 103 over to I91 above (hopefully) most of the construction. Thanks for the assistance.
My pleasure. To make the best time, that's how I'd go.

Since we have some time on Sunday (staying with some friends at Lake Sunapee, NH) we'll probably take the more scenic route ... Rt 7 and then Rt 9 over to Rt 100 and then take 100 north through the Green Mountains until I have to go east to Sunapee.

Does anyone in that area know of any issues with RT 100 between Wilmington and Ludlow?

Archived