IGNORED

Motorcycle insurance coverage

Edgar

I wanted to ask the question to those folks that have had the opportunity to utilize their motorcycle insurance coverage. Let’s assume for purpose of discussion that you have full vehicle coverage but no medical rider. You have other medical coverage offered through a national provider from work and that you crash on the side of the road, due to your error.

What is your personal experience?

After this crash did your regular medical coverage pay for any medical bills related to the crash?

Is there any benefit to have the medical rider if you have good insurance coverage?

How do you rate your carrier on the service that they provided?

Can only answer how I would rate my insurance company.

Progressive - Bit the dust on Tuesday afternoon. Called 800 number 9PM Tuesday. Adjuster at my house Wed AM. Thur AM called to say totaled. Friday AM CHECK IN HAND.

Yea Progressive clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Is there any benefit to have the medical rider if you have good insurance coverage?

Medical Payment coverage on your motorcycle insurance policy, besides paying your medical bills, would pay the medical bills of a passenger or permissive user without regard to liability. You'll have to decide if that's important to you.

too old to care
Can only answer how I would rate my insurance company.

Progressive - Bit the dust on Tuesday afternoon. Called 800 number 9PM Tuesday. Adjuster at my house Wed AM. Thur AM called to say totaled. Friday AM CHECK IN HAND.

Yea Progressive clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Progressive, I will second that.

I have All State, but recently I was rear ended by a lady that had Progressive. I called them two days later; they had already processed the claim and gave me a list of recommended shops to take my car to. I called one that I knew, they told me to bring it in that day and they would have a rental car waiting for me. Two weeks later my car was finished, and to be honest, it has not looked this good since it was new. I will probably switch to Progressive when my next All State bill arrives.

This was my exact situation in April when I totaled our RT. I do not carry medical coverage on the bike insurance policy as I have medical coverage at work that includes coverage of injuries sustained in an accident. Some 'regular' medical insurance excludes injuries resulting from recreational activities (and some consider street motorcycling just that), by my BCBS coverage at work does not exclude it.

Initially BCBS balked on paying the claims saying they would be secondary coverage to my vehicle policy. (I.e. would only cover what it did not.) But when I appealed the first denied claim based on the fact that I was not required to carry medical on my motorcycle (in Kansas, some states may require that you do) they were my primary insurer in the accident. Plus even if they were secondary, the amount paid by the 'phantom' bike medical policy was zero therefore even as a secondary they were responsible. They then conceded I was correct and covered it all. (Excluding the normal deductibles, service coverage limits, etc.)

So my thoughts are be sure your state doesn't require you carry medical on your bike policy so you have a position to argue from if (heaven forbid) you ever need to. And be sure your 'regular' policy doesn't exclude recreational activity related injuries, or doesn't consider motorcycle riding a recreational activity.

I will put in my plug for Progressive as well. My last claim was for a total loss on my bike in a road bed collision (I managed to rip out the bottom of the engine on a hole in a parking lot).

They were both fast and fair-I had a check in hand and was shopping for a new bike within a week. And the payout was more than fair for a mid sized cruiser with in excess of 40K on it.

Given the nature of the claim, I would have expected a longer time to review-it seems like this could be ripe for abuse. But they took care of it promtly-and left me very happy with their service.

Lynn

Does anybody have any bad experiances with ins. companies? I'm somewhat surprised at the diff. between say a company like Bike-Line.com I have ins from them and are quite a bit cheaper than say progressive. (1/3 the cost)

Joe

Archived