IGNORED

'09 RT...Sargent Seat...No Heat

Dean

Got the heated seats from Sargent three days ago. Great fit and finish. Both butts (mine and the brides) enjoy the comfort compared to the stockker. Had the Sargent on our 2000 RT for alomost nine seasons so didn't hesitate ordering one for the '09. The new RT has integrated heat so we ordered their heated seat option. Her's work as advertized...mine does not. The dash indicator shows that the seat is "active", both high and low settings but no heat. I measured the resistance of the heating element and it shows about 4 ohms, same as the passenger pillion. I measured the voltage from the bike (seat not plugged in, engine running) and got the pulsing voltage as advertized. Plug the seat in, start engine, activate the heat switch, I get two or three pulses then zero. (Stock seat works ok). Does the seat need to go back or am I not holding my mouth right? TNX

As 10ovr said, call Sargents. They recently borrowed my bike to test a fix for their heated seat versus canbus issue. They got it sorted out and I got my bike back.

Bill

The stock heated seat is measured at 9.5 ohms. Your 4 ohm measurement if accurate is likely tripping the circuit interrupter due to excessive load. Sargent probably has a higher resistance (lower load) element that will work. It would be interesting what the passenger heated element resistance is.

Thanks for the guidance. I just measured the resistance in the Sargent with a good digital meter...6.2 ohms. I also called Sargent this morning. They indicated that I was the 5th RT owner to experience this challenge. They are sending a "jumper" wire which plugs in between the bike and the seat. He said that it is about 24" long and must be installed full length. Sounds like a "resistance" wire cut to match the seats heating element with the RT's "CANBUS INTERUPTUS" system. Great service from Sargent...he called me back a few minutes ago with a UPS tracking number. I'll post a follow up after the "jumper" is installed.

Archived