IGNORED

Replacing plastic windscreen bracket with metal

Funride

Hey Guys,

I am a new guy here with a new R1200RT. I am planning on getting the Cee Bailey windshield and I heard somebody makes a shield bracket to replace the plastic one out of aircraft aluminum?? I heard that the plastic brackets may snap off with larger windshields??

Anybody have their plastic break??

Any ideas or thoughts??

Tom........

That's a new one... I have a Cee Bailey screen and it has been just great. Don't worry about it. Just buy the screen and use the stock windshield brackets.

Hey Guys,

I am a new guy here with a new R1200RT. I am planning on getting the Cee Bailey windshield and I heard somebody makes a shield bracket to replace the plastic one out of aircraft aluminum?? I heard that the plastic brackets may snap off with larger windshields??

Anybody have their plastic break??

Any ideas or thoughts??

Tom........

Hi Tom-

You are correct that this issue has been addressed before, but maybe not on this forum. See the following link to the BMW MOA site. http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/archive/index.php/t-20044.html

I am still running a stock windscreen and I understand the problem is primarily associated with running a larger than stock screen at highway speeds. As a precaution, I just purchased a set of the aluminum windshield stays for $90 delivered from West Tool:

Don Westra

West Tool & Design inc.

1220 North Tower Road

Fergus Falls, MN 56537

218-739-4990

Don@westtoolff.com

www.westtoolff.com

I would recommend calling, rather than emailing them.

Good luck,

Ned

That's a new one... I have a Cee Bailey screen and it has been just great. Don't worry about it. Just buy the screen and use the stock windshield brackets.

Numerous citations of breakage due to aftermarket screens, particularly the larger Cee Bailey's.

Fightingpiper

They don't have it on the site. Just give them a call and they will ship it right out. I broke the factory bracket coming back from the spring Blue Ridge Rendevous and it was waiting for me when I got home. Great time for one to snap as it rained for 6 hours on my saddlesore 1000 ride home.

Thanks for all the info on repairing the windscreen brackets. Great web site for information.

Tom..........

The pictures help for the install. Does not look too bad of a job.

I am an east coaster but worked for a big electronics company in Beaverton, ORE for 30 years. Spent many weekends out there. Lots of great roads for bikes. I took many trips to Mt. Hood, Bonneville dam, the coast 101 up to Astoria (Moe's for Lunch), Crater Lake.

Fightingpiper

I didn't take off my front fairing when I did mine and it tookabout 20 minutes total for both struts from start to finish.

that included time for a few swigs of beer...

I am an east coaster but worked for a big electronics company in Beaverton, ORE for 30 years. Spent many weekends out there. Lots of great roads for bikes. I took many trips to Mt. Hood, Bonneville dam, the coast 101 up to Astoria (Moe's for Lunch), Crater Lake.

I worked at Tektronix too. :-) Only two years though.

Yes, you can do it with the front fairing on. I didn't, it's only four extra screws. I don't think the pictures I posted would have been as nice with the front fairing on though. I have large hands, and enjoy the extra room. Heck, after struggling every time I started pulling the fairing to replace the headlamp bulb. Takes about the same amount of time, only no blood. :-)

Archived