IGNORED

Garmin 2610 to R12RT w/ factory kit?

bmwscoot

Hi guys...

Just a question.

I notice that the R12RT has the BMW navigator (looks like a 2610?) system as an option mounted right up front with a BMW "cradle" and some aux. buttons on the left side of the mount.

Does anyone have experience with mounting a Garmin 2610 using the BMW "cradle"? I seem to remember something a while back about an accessory kit?

P/N?

Any info. appreciated.

Jeff,

Any of the mounting Devices for 1150RT's that use the handlebar mounting bolts for attachment will work just fine on the 1200RT's. The Handlebar Risers are the same, just finished differently.

I reused my bracket from the 1150 for my 276C and tapped into the 1200's GPS connector for power. Worked like a charm! The BMW bracket has nowhere near the adjustability of a decent RAM setup and is much more expensive.

I bought the BMW mounting kit and after installing it did not like the lack of adjustability. bought a Ram setup and it works great. BMW does make a special mount with four additional buttons, but again it cannot be adjusted. You can wire off the battery or order the BMW power cord ($130)and plug it into the Canbus harness located swift tied to the top of the frame joint behind the front fairing. you can see it from the top right side.

Not sure anyone has answered your specific question yet, but I have one of each. I don't really think there is a difference between the two GPS's, and they both work fine in the BMW Nav II cradle. I don't like the cradle, though. If the retaining screw on top works itself a little loose, the GPS could jump out of the cradle. I really haven't had a lot of use for the additional buttons on the cradle yet.

I'm not sure you can buy the cradle by itself. I really don't think it would be a good purchase if you did.

I cut the cord on the Nav II and made a small patch cord so I could use different GPS units on the bike with the BMW wiring harness. The patch cord has the BMW connector on one end and a standard 3-conductor auto connector on the other. You could also cut the BMW connector off the bike and put a standard one there if you like. The three conductors are power +/- and to the speedometer. I suspect the third is for units that support dead reconing (for short periods when you loose reception). I doubt that feature is very useful at all.

Hope this is what you were looking for. If you want additional info, drop me a PM.

Why are you asking questions about a BMW R1200RT Jeff? Could have sworn you were a Honda driver. wink.gifwink.gif

Actually, I think I have had a equal # of Hondas/BMW's. With a Kawi Concours thrown in for good measure.

Just considering things.....

(ST13 is going back to the dealer again for a minor problem, and maintenance items. Did I mention that the Honda/BMW dealer I use made me quite a nice deal if I would want to trade...say on a R12RT? wink.gif)

I have a LOT of time for thinking @ work, w/ all the OT.

If work kills my riding early this season...I'm going POSTAL!

Anyway, I thought finding out how the factory mount works, etc. with a 2610 might throw some light on a possible move in the future.

R12RT items I like over my ST13 would include suspension and cruise control, plus I think a little less weight.

My ST13 has a wonderful drive train that is just soooo smooth and powerful. It's farkle-ized, fits well, and Barb is voting for it.

This is the time of year I usually start planning for what I will be on next season....it may happen sooner...it may happen later.

The question running around my little head is "waddya want to be riding 2-up to Gunni and Ely NEXT year?"

Where is that K1500RT I have been looking for? frown.gif

My ST13 has a wonderful drive train that is just soooo smooth and powerful. It's farkle-ized, fits well, and Barb is voting for it.

FWIW and just in case you need a little support convincing Barb...

Sharon reports that ride comfort and feeling of security on the back of the 1200 is a HUGE improvement over the 1150.

Besides, isn't farkle-izing half the fun? Gotta haff sumtin' ta do over da winter, doncha know.

I'm here for ya, buddy! thumbsup.gifgrin.gif

Archived