IGNORED

What's this connector wired to my battery?

Joe Frickin' Friday

Joe Frickin' Friday

'09 R1200RT, two months old. Was wiring up some accessories today and discovered this connector that had been hardwired, apparently by the dealer, directly to the battery through an in-line 75-amp fuse.

What is this for?

4538.jpg.7324fe5b3994b6a16e388733ffc86323.jpg

Firefight911

Dealer added battery tender connection. My dealer does the same with every bike they sell.

You can now hook up outside accessories with an adapter and/or keep your battery on a tender if not in use for a while.

FYI, change the 7.5 amp to a 20 amp fuse so you can use it for a compressor if you get a flat.

That's a pig tail for a "battery tender" tickle charger.

edit- apparently we replied at the same time. Good call on using it for an air compressor.

Firefight911
That's a pig tail for a "battery tender" tickle charger.

That's funny!! get it, he said, "tickle."

I agree it is for a battery tender, I did the same thing to my bike, and plug the battery tender in all the time this way.

I run the plug out from under the seat and use it for my heated vest when the weather is cold.

And just today I wired some additional lighting on a temp. basis to see how well I like them.

Joe Frickin' Friday
FYI, change the 7.5 amp to a 20 amp fuse so you can use it for a compressor if you get a flat.

Thanks for the tip. I've got a Slime pump, so this may be handy.

I wired the passenger accessory outlet to one of those...

If I need to plug in the on-road air compressor it goes into that plug. If I want to leave the bike on battery tender it can plug into the passenger acc. outlet...

The on road compressor also comes with a pig tail that can give 12v for any other purpose on the road.

Mitch......As stated already, a "do all" SAE connector...I put one on my 12RT and use a number of accessories on it; Slime pump, Gerbings and trickle charger as Hopz has....Feed it up in front of the seat when in Gerbings type weather where it's handy....Nice to have direct power from the battery........

Thanks for the tip. I've got a Slime pump, so this may be handy.

The slime has alligator clips that work right off the battery posts. DAMHIK.

Archived