IGNORED

Intermittent power off/on

janfmiller

Last trip, had this happen twice: '04 RT, 52K miles

8 days out, in a hard right in the Smokey Mountains, RT shuts down, all dash lights go out just for the blink of an eye, then come back on, ABS goes through self-test, and all is well, so fast it just produces a driveline lash clunk...

2 days later, same thing on the flat....

Not since..... until yesterday, same thing, riding though my home town....

Any ideas on this one....?

Anyone ever had trouble with the ignition switch?, last year I had a shutdown like this, but it lasted until I hosed the ignition down with contact cleaner.. Yes, I know the lock is just a lock and the real switch lives below, but I figure enough cleaner most have gotten to it.

Anyone ever change one of these switches? Apparently they are held in with tamper-resistant bolts, how to remove???

Also wondered about a vibration-compromised fuse?, stockers are flimsy looking and several has lost their thin transparent plastic covers, replacing them all just in case...

Thanks,

Jan...

sounds like the ignition switch. its a common issue that the factory installs zipties to tight along the ignition wire and it eventually rubs through the wires causing these issues. I had my switch fail on my '04 at 25k miles, the actual switch failed. its an easy fix, there is a small set screw under the lock cylinder on the right side, removed the small flat head screw and the switch pops right out. the rest of the wiring harness is under the dash on the top left side, you have to take apart the dash assembly to get to it.

Follow the harness down from the ignition switch to the first ziptie. Release all the zipties and open up the loom at the position of the first ziptie. You wil find a broken cable there probably the green one...

Andy

janfmiller
sounds like the ignition switch. its a common issue that the factory installs zipties to tight along the ignition wire and it eventually rubs through the wires causing these issues. I had my switch fail on my '04 at 25k miles, the actual switch failed. its an easy fix, there is a small set screw under the lock cylinder on the right side, removed the small flat head screw and the switch pops right out. the rest of the wiring harness is under the dash on the top left side, you have to take apart the dash assembly to get to it.

Is this a hex-head or other screw?. If hex, what size? I see the hole, it was covered with a blob of red goop, but can't tell what sort of head the screw has....

Thanks,

Jan...

I just replaced my ignition switch. It takes a tiny flat head. Just scrape out the red loctite goop and the screw will be revealed. I have pics if needed.

Archived