IGNORED

Tires for Copper Canyon

johnlt

Starting to think about the spring Copper Canyon ride. Can anyone compare the TKC-80 vs the Mets Karoo? Both are suppose to be dual sport knobbies. I believe the Karoo is tubeless, not sure about the TKC-80. Comments?

Go with the TKC-80. It's a tad better on pavement and will last longer, too. Plenty good for the dirt if you de-air them a tad. They do use tubes. They are a remarkable tire with a lot more pavement grip than you expect given the aggressive tread. (They make a little noise because of that, too.)

i assume your taking the klr?

the tkc-80 are great tires but when you think that conti cut half of the knob off from the factory (short knobbies) imo you're wasting your $. on the other hand people love em & have $ to burn. i think they perform so well on-road because conti makes the knobs only half the height of all other knobby tires.

what about the dunlop 606? i run them on my xr and love em. the are the tire of choice for most bajaers.

read this:

http://www.klr650.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2717

http://www.klr650.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2746

some food for thought.

guess it comes down to how much hard riding you'll do on pavement compared to dirt.

more pave = tkc-80

more dirt = d606

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Thanks for starting this thread John. I've been looking at tires too. What sort of milage are you looking at David? I'm considering riding the 650GS from here, and have even thought about brining along a more aggressive set of tires to change into once I get closer to the unpaved portion of the trip. I found very quickly that the Tourances weren't too good off the pavement. Better when I let air out, but still not too good.

Ahh, now we have a topic to discuss!

I've been looking for good 70% dirt / 30% street tires for the KLR for a while.

Currently I use MT21's and while I love the price and dirt performance, the wear on pavement really sucks. They are usually shot after 3 or 4 trips to the AZ back roads.

Does anyone have experience with the Maxxis 6006? I've read some favorable reviews, supposedly a good compromise tire.

See you all in Creel.

--

Mikko

What sort of milage are you looking at David?

We had five bikes with the TKC-80 tires on them on that last trip. I took mine off after about ca. 1,800 miles because I had a track day, but I saved them and will likely use them again. They look to be 1/3 worn, though I suspect they'll wear at a faster rate toward the end. Maybe 3,000-4,000? Don't know, really--I'm pretty hard on tires. tongue.gif

My KLR still has them on, and they have tons of wear left. They've been to Mexico, southern GA, northern KY, western AL, and ridden for 8 months all over town (that's what Nate rides at school and to visit friends). I'd guess at least that out of them on the KLR.

Ahh, now we have a topic to discuss!

I've been looking for good 70% dirt / 30% street tires for the KLR for a while.

Currently I use MT21's and while I love the price and dirt performance, the wear on pavement really sucks. They are usually shot after 3 or 4 trips to the AZ back roads.

Does anyone have experience with the Maxxis 6006? I've read some favorable reviews, supposedly a good compromise tire.

See you all in Creel.

--

Mikko

There's a buncha ADVRiders in Phx to ask this question to... I've heard good things about the 6006s but didn't get a chance to run any on my KTM.

I also hear that there's a place on ebay that's selling DS tires from Kenda for $20/ea. that seem to work OK. I don't remember the name off the top of the head.

FWI have heard, the TKC80s work better for bigger bikes/ not so much dirt. Acceptable grip on the road, wet or dry and acceptable grip off-road.

If yer going 80/20 (off/on) yer better off with something like an D606 front with an MT21 rear.

My $.02

M

skinny_tom (aka boney)

Well, we have to specify the bike we're going to put tires on. The 650GS has a 19in front wheel and 17 rear. The Dunlop web site doesn't show a 19in. D606 tire at all. To add insult to injury, it appears as though the TKC-80 is only available as a rear in 19in. and must be run "backward" on the front of the 650GS (according to the Chain Gang- and apparently from Continental).

i've been happy with these IRC GP-1 tires for 50/50 riding. great road traction. air em down for dirt and they work well. long lasting. IRC is a japanese company that produces quality product. they last much longer than the kenda (taiwan) 270 (similar design). http://www.motorcycledreamshop.com/shop/agora.cgi?product=IRCdirt

3.0 21" front

5.0 17" rear

scroll down to see plus look at attachment.

556242-ircgp1.jpg.af1636c772d6e63e65f61a75068054c2.jpg

Thanks guys, I'll probably go with the TKC-80s on both the KLR and the GSPD. I'm taking both because my son will be riding one of theml.

Archived