IGNORED

New Honda V4 "Sport Touring" bike.

Whip

it’s variable-cylinder engine, which enables the rear bank of cylinders to shut down completely, leaving the bike effectively a parallel twin on light loads, which should dramatically boost fuel economy and emissions performance.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/New-bikes/2009/June/jun2409-All-new-Honda-V4-sports-tourer-revealed-/

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/252662/images/cover.jpg

Better pix would help.

This just sounds like a different spin on the rumors that have been around for years about the next VFR.

Last year it was supposed to be a 1000cc V5 with the ability to shut down the rear 3 cylinders. The speculation has been rampant.......i won't believe anything until I see it on the showroom floor. Until then, the only thing I expect from Honda is "Exciting new colors and graffics"

Honda is known for innovations. I wouldn't be surprised at all if something like this is developed by them. Honda has been an interesting market for products to include lawnmowers!!! Their bikes are popular and reliable. Colors and graphics are just the tip of the iceberg with them.

I'm not knocking their bikes.....Honda makes some great machines. But seriously, what was the last innovative thing you have seen from Honda's motorcycle division that has ACTUALLY found its way to a street bike? They occationaly add some newer technology (V-tech, EFI, CVT), but I wouldn't call any of it innovative. Their 5 cylinder motor they stuck in the MotoGP RC211 was innovative, but it STILL hasn't found its way to the street.

Here is the MCN artice last summer about the V5 VFR LINK

I see lots of speculation and hoping, but every year at bike launch time it is just a big snorefest. Unless you got excited about a $15k scooter and a "chopper" that showed up about 2.5 years to late.

Anybody remember the Cadillac V8-6-4 from '81? I know things have progressed since then and Honda is doing the variable displacement thing on the Accord V-6, but that was a bad taste that is hard to get over.

Rich06FJR1300

yeah, i hear the same thing. Year after year you hear the new VFR or st1300 re-design is coming out. Then it comes out and the only difference is the color! I'm in the same league with you, until it hits the showroom floor, dont' expect anything from Honda.

Yeeha! Stephen
Nice looking bike. That final drive sure does have a familiar look to it.

Yeah, if it had a hole all the way through, I'd think the photo was the new F 800 GT....

Doesn't look like a sport-touring bike to me, more like a sport bike. I wish Honda would make an 1150RT.

Francois_Dumas

I think the 'sports-TOURER' part of that message is meant for the 'new Pan-European' sentence at the bottom of that picture ;)

beemerman2k

I think this is the next ST1300. Expect a follow up model with a more full fairing and the ST designation. It would make for a very nice ST replacement I think; lighter, more powerful -- not that the ST currently lacks power, but it is way too porky.

Doesn't look like a sport-touring bike to me, more like a sport bike. I wish Honda would make an 1150RT.

Not many shaft driven sport bikes these days. Nor sport bikes with grips well above the saddle. I doubt the riding position is all that aggressive. More so than an RT, possibly, but not necessarily as much as you might think, depending upon where the pegs are in relation to your hips.

I posted this on ST-Owners.com... supposedly new drawing of the new ST1300 replacement... looks very nice. Hope it's true, coming from a former ST1300 owner.

10ST3.jpg

10ST2.jpg

10ST1.jpg

Russ - deeppurple52

OoPE.... Honda not innovative? The Boxer motor has been around since early last century! I would hate to see the ST replaced tho' since it has one of the most fantastic V-4 motors on the market.

All the basic motor designs have been around for many decades. I don't think innovation has much to with boxer, inline 4, v-twin or v-4. It has to do with the overall bike design and how design features are utilized to better achieve a bikes purpose.

All the basic motor designs have been around for many decades. I don't think innovation has much to with boxer, inline 4, v-twin or v-4. It has to do with the overall bike design and how design features are utilized to better achieve a bikes purpose.

Yeah....what Jan said :grin:

That being said, I did just get done reading my new Cycle World magazine yesterday where they did a review of the new Honda CBR600. It was setup with Honda's new ABS system and everyone that rode it agreed that it has the best ABS brakes that they have ever used on a motorcycle.....period. That sounds promising. I'm glad to see some more advancements and technologies getting stuck into bikes that don't cost an arm and a leg.

It doesn't match my KS in the looks department, but it does have my attention! Hard to tell but it looks like it could be a little small.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived