IGNORED

R1200RT Radio. AM does not receive

Loves 2 Ride

Loves 2 Ride

My pretty red 1200RT came with the radio package. The FM and CD work fine but I cannot get an AM signal. My riding buddies wonder why I care about AM but it has the most frequent traffic reports. I checked another RT at the dealer and it did the same thing. Anyone have a radio that works on both bands?

Mine works on both bands, if your right near the tower.. I've found the reception s***s on all 3 bands, any distance away from town (like 10-15 miles..).

Loves 2 Ride

The dealer says that AM is poorly received in their location but my car radio works just fine at their location. I'm guessing that the radio BMW has put in these bikes is not the best that could have been chosen. At the price they charge, it should be able to receive Berlin.

My radio was not working at first either. They first replaced the antenna & then the FM worked. To get the AM working, I had to have the whole unit replaced. It now works (but not as well as the AM on my LT did). I suspect you may have a bad unit.

My AM doesn't work either but I get very good reception on my FM as good as my 65 Coronet with an original factory radio. German radios stink!

Indeed they do.

The reception on the radio in my Porsche is crappy on AM and FM (but worse on AM).

Joe

My AM doesn't work either but I get very good reception on my FM as good as my 65 Coronet with an original factory radio. German radios stink!

My am is bad also.....someone on this forum told me you have to set the "country code" to US to make it work in the states...does anyone know how to do that??????????????

Had ther same problem on my one and it was the country code not set. My one was set for the USA. He did show me how he did it, but..... I was still dribbling over the bike. If I remember rightly its push and hold the bottom right button down. Someone else here had the same problem and it was fixed when he told the dealer this. Check the history files.

R

I haven't posted to this forum in a while. I am about to order an R1200RT. Does anyone know what is included with the radio prep option? I'm hoping to install an XM radio with weather channel. I don't know if the bike will come with the accessible control buttons or how an aftermarket radio could interface with them. I am also interested in finding out what is included with the GPS mount option. Is the power available through the canbus system or will I need to come off of the battery?

I asked about the radio prep thing and got several different answers. I'm still not really sure 100% (neither were the dealers) what it is, but the answers had a leaning towards something they do in Europe to set the stations. My dealer just set the stations for me anyway (except he left the AM on USA mode).

If you find a definite answer I'd like to know ....just because!!

There is some big difference between US and Europe for radio frequency :

European FM : 87.5 to 108.0 Mhz, channel step 50khz

US FM : 87.9 to 107.9 Mhz, channel step 200khz

European AM : 531 to 1602khz, step 9khz

US AM : 530khz to 1710khz, step 10khz

When you use a radio in the us (in AM) with a 9khz step, it is very difficult to receive any us station.

This is why every radio should be set to the market (West europe, East europe, Africa, Mid east, Oceania, North america, south america, Japan).

Michel

Thanks to everyone who came back with their thoughts. The 2 that I will pursue is the Country Codes (Sounds pausible) and full replacement. At the price they want for this radio, it should be able to pull-in radio free Europe.

I rarely listen to AM in car or on m/c. I tried it yesterday on my R12RT, but the reception was poor (too much static) and is virtually unuseable.

Interesting about the "country codes"; I'll have to look into that.

I asked a dealer about the kit and basically was told that it was a wireing item and the frame kit for the "glove box". Additionally was told that the wireing was such that if you ever planned on adding a radio get the kit at the time of purchase. I am not sure how valid any of this is.

Archived