IGNORED

Saw the aftermath of this wreck yesterday

DavidEBSmith

DavidEBSmith

When I got there the state police had the highway shut down and were outlining skid marks on the pavement, so I assumed it was a fatality. Looking at the bike embedded in the grill of a big-ass truck and a trail of debris behind, I couldn't figure out, WTF happened here?

http://www.isanticountynews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6302&Itemid=35

An accident on Saturday afternoon at the intersection of Hwy. 65 & Co. Rd. 5 in Isanti has left a 50-year-old male from St. Michael in critical condition.

The accident involving a 2000 Chevrolet GMT, driven by Neil Hvidston, 29, of Cambridge, and a 1992 Harley-Davidson, driven by the 50-year old, occurred on Saturday, June 20, at 4:12 p.m.

. . .

According to the Minnesota State Patrol, both drivers were heading southbound on Hwy. 65 and stopped at the intersection. When the light turned green, the motorcycle slowed suddenly. Hvidston was unable to stop in time and rear-ended the motorcycle.

So both vehicles were stopped at the light. The light turned green and the two vehicles accelerated from a stop. The bike slowed down and the guy in the big-ass truck rammed it from behind and pushed it (from my estimation) several hundred feet through the intersection. :eek: How hard to you have to be pressing the accelerator of your truck to do that? And I love the "unable to stop in time", like it was just some mysterious phenomenon of nature, instead of complete ass-hat (if not near-homicidal) driving.

Watch out, friends, if you don't get out of their way they will run you the f*** over.

BTDT, but he didn't try to stop.

:eek:

I'd guess the petal was to the metal.

Hope the HD rider is OK.

Betcha the M/C driver might have been deliberately hesitating to go into the intersection in case there was a Minnesota Nice red light runner in the other direction...........

• 3 weeks later...
Other possibility is the HD sputtered or began to stall and the rider HAD to slow down??

Maybe hit a false neutral?

The diver of the truck is still responsible for managing his "closing rate". Not ot defend hte driver, but when amotorcycle lifts off the gas, it can be deciving how quickly it's slowing without the tail light comming on. Some customs and crusisers have some very small tialights too.

I've wondered in motorcycle should be required to have an inertial (sp?) brakes switch that automatically lights the rear brake light or just have a switch of the throttle body that turns on the brake light at or near 0% throttle.

Commanderkewl
Other possibility is the HD sputtered or began to stall and the rider HAD to slow down??

Maybe hit a false neutral?

The diver of the truck is still responsible for managing his "closing rate". Not ot defend hte driver, but when amotorcycle lifts off the gas, it can be deciving how quickly it's slowing without the tail light comming on. Some customs and crusisers have some very small tialights too.

Years ago I had the unfortunate mishap of rearending a nutjob that went two lanes over into my lane at 40 to lockup to make a turn.. SO I rear ended him...The police said HE could DROP from the SKY and once he is in front of you it is YOUR responsibility to maintain enough distance...

IN the case as is this the truck neither conceeded the lane to what was in front of him.. it is his responsibility and hence his liability... Unfortunately someone is injured.. Hopefully not in a permamenet way.. I paray for him and his family..

Archived