IGNORED

K1200GT road notes

callmebob

Just completed a 6,500 mile trip from Houston to British Columbia and back. A couple of things worth mentioning:

The bike was loaded with about 20 pounds in each pannier, about 25 pounds in the BMW fabric tail bag, a bed roll and a ground pad. Whenever I entered the wash of a truck or any other turbulent air, the bike flopped around like a rag doll. After 1,000 miles or so I realized I wasn't going to die, so I got used to it. Back home two weeks later when I took all the stuff off, the bike was solid as a rock.

Item two: warped rotors at 1,200 miles. Got them replaced in Houston when I got home, but it was a nuisance on the trip because dealers don't carry rotors; it's about a two-day wait for the parts.

Item three: had to replace both tires at 6,000 miles (or nurse them along another thousand and hope for better prices) at a cost of just over $300 per tire. Carramba! Talk about road hazards.

Best thing about the K1200GT: the astonishing power band. I kept my fingers crossed going into the mountains because I remembered my old K1200RS, which made me change gears constantly at low speeds and never had a happy one. The GT can pull in SIXTH gear from 30 mph to 160. Don't ask me how. It's a dream to ride in the mountains, where you have to keep slowing down for tight curves.

Worst thing about the GT: Everything seems designed to keep owners from doing anything. Can't even get the front wheel off without a special lift, and that's when it's on the center stand. Can't balance your own rear wheel, either, because the hub is shaped funny. Clymer doesn't have a service book for the later model GTs yet.

Average mileage was 42.1 at, um, large speeds. The cops in Wyoming are extra smart. They use instant-on, and point it at vehicles going away from them so trailing vehicles can't detect the burst.

The storms in northern Idaho are un-freaking-believable. At one point I thought about whether I've ever heard of a rider getting killed when his motorcycle was blown off the road, and got confidence from the fact that I hadn't. Very sporty ride for about a day and a half. Managed to miss the golf ball-sized hail from the day before, though.

Worst thing about the GT: Everything seems designed to keep owners from doing anything. Can't even get the front wheel off without a special lift, and that's when it's on the center stand. Can't balance your own rear wheel, either, because the hub is shaped funny.

No special lift is required, just use a small floor jack and a 2x4 under the front of the bike... it takes only a little force to rock the bike back onto the rear wheel. And Marc Parnes will sell you an adapter for the rear wheel for $35. Don't have a Marc Parnes balancer? Well, live and learn... :grin:

Archived