IGNORED

Go West, Young Man

tobyzusa

John (SilverEagle) had a plan. A simple plan really. Why not ride 4,104 miles of the best motorcycle roads that the West has to offer, and do that in nine short days. The flight plan would take us from the DFW area in Texas through New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, and back to Texas. All he really needed to accomplish this feat, was a couple of willing accomplices, which he found in Ron (Mistral) and me – Brad (Tobyzusa).

img0941o.jpg

John (SilverEagle), Brad (Tobyzusa), and Ron (Mistral)

We left Dallas/Fort Worth bright and early June 6 with a planning stop in Las Cruces, NM, a mere 665 miles away. We did have to get out of TX after all!

This first day was a just “get there” day, but we managed to find some interesting terrain and roads as we approached Las Cruces.

img0937gxn.jpg

img0939t.jpg

img0940o.jpg

We left the heat of Texas behind as we started out from Las Cruces to Payson, AZ on day 2. After passing Lake Mary, we stopped at Hannegan Meadow for lunch.

img0946t.jpg

img0947c.jpg

img0950w.jpg

img0952n.jpg

img0953w.jpg

img0955t.jpg

img0959q.jpg

img0960c.jpg

img0967m.jpg

That’s all I have time to post tonight, but tomorrow will land us on the north rim of the Grand Canyon.

img0972uuv.jpg

Grand Canyon – North Rim Teaser

Silvereagle

Nice pics Brad. Thanks for taking the time to post our ride report. I'm glad the three of us were able to do the trip.

Indeed we hit some (not all) of the best roads in NM, AZ, UT, and CO.

A slight correction for you map followers. Lake Mary and the Lake Mary Road were on our route between Payson and

Flagstaff. However there were about 525 sharp curves in the 70 miles on 191 between Morenci and Hannagan Meadow.

We did have some killer bbq beef ribs for lunch at the Hannagan Meadow Lodge. Friendly folks and a worthwhile stop.

John

Nothin' like a great ride with friends.

Some good country yer seein' there.

Stop and have a meal at Jacob Lake. The Jaegerscnitzel is good.

Keep the story coming. :thumbsup:

MB>

A slight correction for you map followers....there were about 525 sharp curves in the 70 miles on 191 between Morenci and Hannagan Meadow.

John

John, thanks for keeping me straight. Please continue to do so, as you are the authority on the route, BTW, I think I counted 526 curves. That was fun!

Day 3 - So it was on towards the north rim of the Grand Canyon and a stop for the night in Kanab. The sky was not conducive to photography today, so please excuse the poor exposures.

img0969z.jpg

img0971m.jpg

I think this was called Cave Dwellers, along the Vermillion Cliffs.

img0973v.jpg

img0974f.jpg

img0985t.jpg

img0979g.jpg

The Lodge at the North Rim.

img0991g.jpg

John

img0988h.jpg

Ron

img0989d.jpg

Brad

img0996m.jpg

img0997zte.jpg

img0999asd.jpg

img1000c.jpg

img1003thk.jpg

img1011z.jpg

img1012r.jpg

img1014t.jpg

img1018gkx.jpg

img1019e.jpg

So we spent the night in Kanab, and tomorrow it's on to Zion National Park for Day number 4. John and Ron, please fill in the commentary.

img1025g.jpg

Zion preview. More to come tomorrow.

This was a fanatastic trip. Brad thanks for posting the pictures. Zion was a really neat place, and I would go back. In fact I think I have to do this trip again next year. John set up a great route. Every day was different, and we had nice weather.

Ron

Day 4 Kanab to Torrey

Today's route took us through Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks. It only seemed right to give the sides of the tires a break for a day.

img1030k.jpg

John and Ron waiting to go through the 1.1 mile tunnel through the solid rock mountain. I think they may have used something more than hand shovels to dig this out!

img1036c.jpg

Gee Ron, is this some type of prophetic warning???

img1037x.jpg

John casually strolling to the over look. Ron and I eventually made it as well.

img1038n.jpg

img1043q.jpg

img1048b.jpg

img1049t.jpg

img1052ynh.jpg

Remember that 1.1 mile tunnel? This is the mountain that it went through (on the left). The tunnel exit is where the road magically appears.

img1053r.jpg

img1056n.jpg

img1064u.jpg

...and once again, the whole environment changed. This was Cinder Cone Peak, I think? John, keep me honest.

img1069h.jpg

One the way to Cedar Breaks, we saw this helicopter hauling logs off the mountain.

img1070n.jpg

img1072i.jpg

Bryce Canyon

img1073u.jpg

img1076y.jpg

img1078ftv.jpg

img1081n.jpg

Ron made an off-hand comment about an old gypsy lady and poof...

img1086y.jpg

...he finally changed back a couple of hours later. John and I contemplated on which "Ron" we liked the best???

img1089d.jpg

We had a delightful roll down the mountain into Torrey. I'm certain John's hair was on fire. He was feelin' it, and it put a smile on my face :thumbsup:.

Jeez, and I can't believe I was stuck in Ouray and missed this. I got screwed. :rofl:

Looks like you guys had a great time.

Jeez, and I can't believe I was stuck in Ouray and missed this. I got screwed. :rofl:

No, you didn't get screwed. I know you guys had your own share of fun. I would have loved to do both. We were there a week before you guys...but count me in again for next year!

Silvereagle

Brad, I'm not sure about your Cinder Cone Peak reference. That picture was along UT 14 westbound

a few miles before UT 148 to Cedar Breaks. It was getting cold so we stopped to add a few layers.

Day 5 Fish Lake and assorted Hooning Roads

We spent the day in and around Torrey. What great riding. This was my first time in the area and it did not disappoint.

img1093s.jpg

img1096e.jpg

img1098y.jpg

img1100c.jpg

img1102q.jpg

img1103r.jpg

img1109j.jpg

img1111f.jpg

Day 6 Torrey to Moab

img1113o.jpg

img1116.jpg

img1117mxc.jpg

img1118sic.jpg

img1119g.jpg

So we come to the overlook at Mokey Dugway.

img1131b.jpg

... so Ron says, "did you remember to bring your spray paint"? I replied, "all BMWST members keep a can handy". So I went to work...

img1133prc.jpg

Ron says, "Cool, can I have some of that"? and he proceeded to scrawl:

img1134p.jpg

...to which I commented, "can you elaborate on what you mean"?

img1132c.jpg

To which he tagged his final tome.

img1126yqj.jpg

The Mokey Dugway view was spectacular.

img1125o.jpg

img1136a.jpg

,,but I couldn't hold John and Ron back any longer.

img1137kfg.jpg

Whoa John, remember there's no pavement under those tires!

img1138d.jpg

img1139yef.jpg

img1140j.jpg

Where's Waldo?

img1141xvl.jpg

img1142jot.jpg

img1145w.jpg

img1146j.jpg

img1152rmp.jpg

Mexican Hat

img1153k.jpg

Monument Valley

img1154q.jpg

...that's all for tonight.

Arches National Park in Moab

img1159zho.jpg

p1000400x.jpg

p1000404ump.jpg

p10004051.jpg

p10004071.jpg

p10004101.jpg

Day - I've lost track - Moab to ???

So our final day of "real" riding was supposed to deposit us in Pagosa Springs. So we head for Telluride and parts beyond.

img1172k.jpg

img1174too.jpg

But at Gateway, Brad comes to the realization that this trip is coming to an end. So a plan is hatched to turn North, rather than East when we get to Durango. Shoot, why not spend the night in Ouray :clap:.

img1176e.jpg

img1181kwa.jpg

img1184u.jpg

img1188o.jpg

img1189x.jpg

and the next morning we turn North to go home to TX by way of Montrose and Lake City :thumbsup:!

img1192skv.jpg

img1194k.jpg

img1198g.jpg

img1201t.jpg

img1202elu.jpg

img1205y.jpg

John and Ron, thanks for a spectacular trip. I will never forget this one.

Brad, thanks for posting. You and John were great to ride with. I have to head west again next year. The roads are really good, and the views are awesome.

Ron

Silvereagle

Again Brad, thanks for taking the time to post our trip. It was a memorable ride and there are many more

roads out West worth seeing.

I'm off in a few weeks for a 10+ day trip to Idaho and doing some long range planning for a trip next summer

to Western Canada.

I'm not getting any younger, so I'm going to ride while I can.

John

Archived