IGNORED

WSBK Misano (spoilers)

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

Wet race was interesting, with all the bike changing and time won and lost in the pits, with Spies charging through the pack like everyone else was on Vespas.

I thought the second race was much more exciting, the front three looking at times as if it was a single long bike.

As for Ben, toasted the clutch, spent the first half of the race riding and adjusting, eventually got back on pace, but lost a lot of points.

It was interesting to see BMW actually leading for a bit in the first race -- until everyone with slicks zoomed by.

A wonderful win for the Brit, He even had my wife on the edge of the chair and I quote: "I'm glad the race is over because I don't think I could have riden my chair much longer" Very, Very exciting.

kc

It was interesting to see BMW actually leading for a bit in the first race -- until everyone with slicks zoomed by.

Troy Corser wasn't very impressive high siding on the warm up lap no less. Neither impressed me in the second race. I wonder if the problem is whoever is responsible for setup. O.K., I gave 'em one for the poor performance at Miller. The Excuse de Jour was that the aerodynamics of the bodywork gave the front end too much lift. They get points for no other reason than creativity.

Why is it that Aprilia, despite several years' absence and being a small company, is so much more successful than BMW? BMW ought to be doing better.

Why is it that Aprilia, despite several years' absence and being a small company, is so much more successful than BMW? BMW ought to be doing better.

Two words.

EYE • Talian.

Germans engineers' passions are numbers driven. Italian engineers' numbers are passion driven.

Two words.

EYE • Talian.

Germans engineers' passions are numbers driven. Italian engineers' numbers are passion driven.

I got it. Not right away, but I got it.

Also, Aprilia hasn't been away from WSBK for very long, right? Even though Ruben and Troy are current WSBK riders, the teams are brand new, right? Who is managing the teams? What kind of WSBK experience is there?

Two words... throttle response. BMW will figure it out.

Two words... throttle response. BMW will figure it out.

According to the TV talking heads, the specific problem is getting the bike to hook up...traction control, and all the other black box wizardry.

As someone who has an R12 with the dreaded ASC option, I can't say I find this surprising :grin:

Aprilia has done a lot of work in MotoGP and other racing formats. Rumor also has it that the Aprilia machine is essentially a one-off motogp-type prototype bike, as opposed to a developed stock bike. Although Ben Spies Yamaha only has one really 'stock' part; the engine that is built in Japan for the team. I think it's been a while since BMW really thought about building a racing motorcycle so they are really starting at ground zero. New bike, new electronics, new riders (to the team), ect. It's going to take a few years for BMW to build up enough experience to do better in motorcycle racing. Hopefully they have the stomach for it. I'm afraid they're going to shelve the whole thing and just go back to concentrating on F1 racing.

Rode to Salt Lake. Got a good picture with Troy in the pits. OK they didn't do well..But learned.

Rainy Sunday here is Seattle, popcorn made, TV on. WHAT the &%#@, Corser high-sides on the warm-up lap. I hope Ruben is making more money than Troy after this weekend. Well, I am a loyalist for BMW motorcycles since 1976, I will wait forever for a winning Team.

"Germans engineers' passions are numbers driven. Italian engineers' numbers are passion driven."

That right there is very telling, thanks Effbee.

Since I bought a Ducati, I have greater interest but am still pulling for BMW.

I like Spies, but do not really care for Yamaha...

I am so confused!

Archived