IGNORED

Brake failure

Dave_C

Whadda you think folks? I have a 2006 r1200rt. I was on my way home, stopped for gas. When I started it up and rode off, the brake failure stayed lit with the red (!) light. The brakes felt ok, but after about 5 miles, the lever got squishy. I got off the freeway, shut off the bike and did a roadside inspection. All seemed ok. I started her up, rode off and all was well. All has been ok, it's been a few thousand miles. I have about 42,000 miles on her, I had the dealer flush the fluid once and have changed the pads once. What happened? Thanks

At first it just sounds like either a low battery issue or that you perhaps touched the brake when initially starting (causes the brake failure light to stay on) the bike. The "squishy" part certainly has me wondering. If you've covered a couple thousand miles since then you're probably OK but I look forward to hearing some theories from others.

You have the I-ABS brake system and that requires a complete boot up when started with no brake applied (it tests the brake switches for continuity among other things). If you inadvertently apply the smallest of pressure on the rear or front brake levers it will default to the residual mode until restarted. The brake failure light will flash after roll-off to indicate this problem. The best bet when this happens is to stop, turn off and restart again being sure to have no brake applied and it should reset. When improperly started as above you lose the brake integration, power assist, and the ABS function. That is what made the brakes seem squishy.

Flashing brake failure light=diminished brake function. Restart before riding on. Many times just doing this will fix the problem.

Note a bad brake switch at the front lever or rear brake pedal can also cause this issue.

I have the same brake system and have seen others do this same thing.

You have the I-ABS brake system and that requires a complete boot up when started with no brake applied (it tests the brake switches for continuity among other things). If you inadvertently apply the smallest of pressure on the rear or front brake levers it will default to the residual mode until restarted. The brake failure light will flash after roll-off to indicate this problem. The best bet when this happens is to stop, turn off and restart again being sure to have no brake applied and it should reset. When improperly started as above you lose the brake integration, power assist, and the ABS function. That is what made the brakes seem squishy.

Flashing brake failure light=diminished brake function. Restart before riding on. Many times just doing this will fix the problem.

Note a bad brake switch at the front lever or rear brake pedal can also cause this issue.

Yup, I've done it a couple of times now. Note to self: Don't park at an incline, and be forced to use the brakes to keep the bike from rolling when starting... :eek:

]Note to self: Don't park at an incline, and be forced to use the brakes to keep the bike from rolling when starting... :eek:

Actually, it's easy to start on an incline -- with brakes applied:

- bike in first gear;

- turn on ignition;

- wait until the full boot-up sequence has been completed;

- apply the brake(s);

- pull in the clutch;

- start the bike.

I have never experienced this as I always start my '06 R1200-RT with the brake engaged. (It's a habit going back to before safety interlocks, and as far as I am concerned, a habit I have no desire to "unlearn"))

Thanks for all the input. I used to have a '95 r1100rs, and if you started it with the rear wheel off the ground(on the centerstand) the abs would get confused. I have a steep driveway, however, and I usually start the bike with the brakes applied(wheels on the ground). I will keep your advice in mind, especially if it reccurs.

I had a "whiz" failure with the whizzy brakes on my '05 ST. Linkage

Basically, bug juice and spouge gummed up the front brake micro switch, which in turn took the whiz out of my brakes.

Looking back now, my failure light was staying on longer. (It used to stay on for about a block, but now it's off at the end of my driveway)

You can take the front brake lever off, and clean out where the brake light micro switch is. See if that helps?

Good luck,

CoarsegoldKid

I too start with bike with brake lever applied. No problem just the "Brake Failure" lamp is flashing for a few seconds. And of course the "turn ignition switch on for a few seconds prior to depressing starter button" causes no issues either.

Squishy lever I'd investigate.

That works as long as the brake check completes before you punch the start button.

If parked on an incline simply put it into gear to hold, turn the key with the kill switch-engine on.no brake applied, watch the display and self test, then apply brakes, pull in clutch and start.

It's no big deal as long as the system self checks before applying the brakes and STARTING. I usually apply the brakes while starting as well.

Archived