IGNORED

NEW TO THE SITE 2004 R 1150 RTP QUESTION

MATT SANTA CLARITA

MATT SANTA CLARITA

I, with the help of my kind neighbor, just replaced the fuel filter on my bike. In the process I broke one of the quick connect adapters on one of the fuel lines. Do I have to go to a dealer or mail order to replace it or is there a generic, comparable, part at a Napa or Autozone type store?

Thanks for your help

The OEM plastic quick-disconnects are rather fragile. Many folk here have switched to Jiffy-tite metal QD as a replacement. See this thread for part numbers.

Or you can buy chrome-plated brass dissconnects mail-order from BeemerBoneyard.

I am told that BMW have now changed the male connector to metal as well.

HTH and welcome to the board :wave:

Andy

As a temporary fix, a 5/16" barbed brass hose connector will work fine. They are available from most any home or plumbing supply store. I always carry a pair for emergencies. The chromed brass QDs from Beemer Boneyard are an excellent replacement for the crummy plastic stock parts.

Since you asked, I would go metal.

Just my .02 and what I did for my GT.

I used to think the problem was operator error induced, but I learned that isn't always the case.

Perhaps once in a while, but usually it is part failure.

I don't think I recall anyone having part failure issue w/metal replacements.

Best wishes.

McMaster Carr carries the QCs in various materials. The parts are identical other than being made of steel or brass. If you have one of these stores nearby, you can bring in the old plastic piece and match it. But you will have to wait until Monday.

Archived