IGNORED

Beginner wants to learn to do own servicing

RTrev

Well, my new '08 RT just turned over the 6000 mile mark, and I'd been looking forward to this as I'd heard that the bike would probably run noticeably smoother after the valve job and throttle body synchronization had been done.

People had been telling me to learn to do my own work anyway, to save the money. Now I realize that I should do it to improve the quality of the results as well. The bike runs rougher than it did before, and right in the RPM range I want to be smooth. Sigh.

The dealership offered to do whatever they had to to make it right for me, but I'd rather learn to do it myself. Part of the reasoning there is that the shop tends to set things up like "most people" want them.

Before the service, the bike was quite smooth right up until around 5000 RPM, and gradually smoothed out again as it approached red line. Now the vibration starts at about 3000 RPM, which means at the 70-75 MPH typical slab speeds I'm getting a good vibro-massage. It used to be silky smooth in that range, and the 5K vibration didn't bother me much as I don't usually stay there long. I'm at 5K on the way up or on the way down, generally. I don't hang out there a lot.

So, I was steered here by some helpful folks on the LT forum, and told that it might be possible to get some help around the Rochester, NY area where I live.

Anybody have any suggestions for this total newbie? (Warning: have never adjusted a set of valves in my life, and have only a rough idea of what a throttle body is.. and no idea why the engine computer can't adjust it without my help. )

Thanks much!

Bob

Your best chance to learn how to do it right would be to go to one of the "tech days" in the northeast, even if you have to ride several hundred miles, it would be well worth it. Check the threads on Ride and Event Planning to see if any are scheduled.

lawnchairboy

ltljohn has a tech day planned in PA for the first weekend in August, you should check it out...

Check the events calendar for August for details...

chris

Thanks.. I'll start looking around for these tech days. I saw one guy talking about "Tech Daze" and wasn't sure if he was kidding or if that was really what they're called.

"..even if you have to ride several hundred miles.." Oh, the horror! Heck, that would add to the fun!

Thanks again!

ltljohn has a tech day planned in PA for the first weekend in August, you should check it out...

Check the events calendar for August for details...

chris

Thanks.. will check it out for sure!

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Start by getting the JVB Video (link given in previous message. It'll be the best 28-bucks you spent in doing your own maintenance. The video will get you well prepared for attending a tech session and then it will give you a refresher whenever you need to do "owner maintenance" in the future.

Start by getting the JVB Video (link given in previous message. It'll be the best 28-bucks you spent in doing your own maintenance. The video will get you well prepared for attending a tech session and then it will give you a refresher whenever you need to do "owner maintenance" in the future.

Thanks, will do! Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to find a way to get them without having a PayPal account.. and I detest PayPal. But I may have to bite the bullet on this one.

Poster: Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

Subject: Re: Beginner wants to learn to do own servicing

It the JVB video accurate for a 2009 or just earlier 1200's?

Bob, had you just had the 6000 mile svc performed? If so ask the dlr to check out your vibration issues, perhaps their TBS wasn't accurate. Also they will reset the stepper motors as part of the svc and this my cause some vibration issues for a couple hundred miles while the bike 'relearns' your riding style.

Learning to do your own is good thing, get some local riders, or a tech daze, well worth it.

My advise to you is to take it slow and easy. Boxers are easier to work on but they are incredibly easy to screw up if you do your own work. Much of the bike is aluminium so it's very easy to over tighten things and strip threats. Strip threads in just the right place and you have a catastrophe. Learn as much as you can from fellow wrenchers, get the manual and follow it. When it says to torque to say 24 newton meters, do not deviate. I've seen too many posts by folks who have tried their own maintenance to save money only to do something wrong which cost thousands to repair. Always keep this in mind when doing your own maintenance. Also remember that your life literally is on the line. Always treat the process of working on your bike with the utmost respect and care.

My advise to you is to take it slow and easy. Boxers are easier to work on but they are incredibly easy to screw up if you do your own work. Much of the bike is aluminium so it's very easy to over tighten things and strip threats. Strip threads in just the right place and you have a catastrophe. Learn as much as you can from fellow wrenchers, get the manual and follow it. When it says to torque to say 24 newton meters, do not deviate. I've seen too many posts by folks who have tried their own maintenance to save money only to do something wrong which cost thousands to repair. Always keep this in mind when doing your own maintenance. Also remember that your life literally is on the line. Always treat the process of working on your bike with the utmost respect and care.

Wise words.

I torque everything, always start by hand and make certain threads are correct, and double check all torque values no matter how certain I am that it is 11 Nm, or whatever.

I then double check that the wrench is set correctly and use multiple torque wrenches with different ranges for different jobs.

Just my POV.

Takes me longer than most people but I don't have concerns about what I just did.

Once in a while a Tech messes up and the dealership has to correct the problem.

More than once in a while a customer brings in a bike they were working on with a problem they caused.

Not a reason to avoid doing your own work, but a good reason to follow your advice Scott.

Best wishes.

Archived