IGNORED

Service Manual or CD

trek

BMW has a service DVD that's available. Check with your local dealer or online (sometimes Ebay). Printed manuals are available from Haynes. Again probably need to order online. Finally there's a great maintenance DVD available from BMWST member Jim von Baden http://www.jimvonbaden.com/

• 9 months later...
For an owner of an R1150RT, is it recommended to buy both the R1200 and the R1150 DVD?

I'm assuming you're referring to Jim's CDs. If that's the case, then yes that is recommended. Initially he produced only the 1200 DVD, and most of us got along with that one, but there were a few things that were different and so eventually (a year or so from what I remember), he produced the 1150 version, but instead of rehashing the stuff that was the same, he stuck to the stuff that was different. This means you really need both for the 1150. If you have a 1200 engine, then only the 1200 DVD is needed.

Wayne

CoarsegoldKid

There may be some reason for getting the BMW CD but the cost will floor you. Get Jim's DVD which I hear is very good.

Haynes now has a more current RT manual that is current through 2009. Bought mine off the their UK web site, but another forum posting says you can get it through their US web site. Decent manual, but not spectacular.

There may be some reason for getting the BMW CD but the cost will floor you. Get Jim's DVD which I hear is very good.

Or buy one off Ebay. I've seen them less than $10.

Are these CD's on ebay year specific or are they close enough? I have a 09.

Thanks,

Paul

Jim VonBaden

My DVDs are never available on E-bay. If you see any, please let me know ASAP.

The Factory DVDs are often on E-bay, but they are counterfeit copies. Use your conscience when purchasing them.

Jim :Cool:

My DVDs are never available on E-bay. If you see any, please let me know ASAP.

Well technically Jim they could be if somebody bought them from you, then decided to sell them as a private sale. But I don't think I've ever seen anybody wanting to get rid of their DVDs after they purchased them. (to the original poster, that should tell you something about the quality of information on them).

Wayne

Are these CD's on ebay year specific or are they close enough? I have a 09.

Thanks,

Paul

They are close enough. The one I have is the factory service CD. I really have no idea of the ultimate source, don't know if it's an actual one someone is selling on the cheap or a copy, but I feel it's something that the manufacturer should provide with the vehicle at no cost anyway.

Don_Eilenberger
The one I have is the factory service CD. I really have no idea of the ultimate source, don't know if it's an actual one someone is selling on the cheap or a copy, but I feel it's something that the manufacturer should provide with the vehicle at no cost anyway.
I have to wonder about how you rationalize buying possibly illegally copied copyrighted material because you think it should be free..

Not a flame, but please explain the thinking behind this so I can understand it..

If it's in a form that can be reproduced why not. BMW isn't out anything - I wouldn't have paid the 100+ dollars for the same CD if I couldn't have gotten it for $7 anyway. If BMW would have sold me the same CD for $12, I never would have bothered to look on Ebay in the first place.

If BMW was so concerned about copyright infringements they would sell hard copies of their manual and not CD's. Hate on me if you want, but I don't buy in to this whole intellectual property rights BS. If you want to safeguard your information, you figure out a way to safeguard it if you intend on throwing it out the the public, don't go crying to the MAN when someone intercepts your radio transmission or copies your disc.

I realize others have different ethical views on this so I don't want to argue it.

Don_Eilenberger
I realize others have different ethical views on this so I don't want to argue it.

Remind me not to leave my key in my bike at a rally you and I both attend.... after all - if I wanted to safeguard it so much, and not have you steal it - I wouldn't do that right?

BTW - in your profile your occupation is sorta interesting considering these comments.

Archived