IGNORED

Ohlins rear shock on K11RS

gefish

Just equipped my '96K1100RS with an Ohlins. At 41k miles the OEM was way past worn out. Would like to know what experiances others have had with the Ohlins. So far I'm really pleased with the difference.

Guy

'05 R1200RT

'96 K1100RS

'02 Bandit 600S

I have an Ohlins on my K 75 RT and can't comment on differences from stock as I bought it that way except I like the ride...But am interested in any comments on the two twisty adjusters...I have tightened the rebound up, ridden, and then backed it off...It got a little squirley in fast sweepers when in about the mid, or normal position so that's why I cinched up on it...Stopped the wiggle...Haven't touched the other adjuster...I know these settings are a personal issue but if there are any comments I like to hear them and I'm sure Guy would too.....

Thanks....

Phil

I'm not impressed with the performance of the Ohlins on the K1200RS.

To me the lack initial compliance, and then the rear contols amooth, but too long duration, uninspiring motion.

The front is well controlled, but lacks any motion dynamics I can detect: Not much different fromt he stock spring/shock.

Both lack progression; Have no variance in control at the exptremes.

On the RT, they showed very good initial compliance, producing a truly outstanding ride. The length and speed of the rear motion was cosistent with the type of bike: A Light Tourer, with modest sporting pretentions.

That kind of motion is out of character with my use, and my desire for the K1200RS.

For their price, I'd prefer a set of Penske units, or the very, very fine Wilbers. Since the bike is a friggin HEAVY and long beast, top line sporting behavior is neither possible, nor my goal. Thus, a super, six way adjustable unit isn't warranted. I'd just like to have separate compression and rebound damping, with light initial damping -- and remote preload adjustment, of course.

Best wishes.

Archived