IGNORED

Tire Combination

mistral

Is anyone running a tire combination like a pilot road 2 on the back and a softer tire on the front, in this case I think a pilot power. The question is not brand specific.

My thinking is the rear wears out first. Why not run a softer front and get the extra grip and change them as a pair. Is there a reason that would not be a good idea?

Thanks,

Ron

Firefight911

Pilot Power front with a 2CT in the rear. Awesome on my R1200ST.

The new K13GT is getting a PR2 rear with a 2CT front in the near future.

For the past 4,000 miles, I've been running an Avon front (replaced for better handling IMHO) while continuing to wear out the Pilot Road rear the RT was delivered with...

No issues whatsoever...

Pilot Power front with a 2CT in the rear. Awesome on my R1200ST.

The new K13GT is getting a PR2 rear with a 2CT front in the near future.

My Avon front is shagged on the sides after 7,000 mi, and I'm thinking if trying PR (F). (PRII ®) I was leaning toward a Pilot Road, but the Power is an option too. How many mi did you get out of the Power front?

Thanks,

Firefight911

On my ST, it was good for 5500 miles and they were done but, on this bike, I was after performance more than mileage.

Reports on the PR2 rear and 2CT front are upwards of 9k on a K12R so, with this, it appears we can get performance and mileage.

My Avon front is shagged on the sides after 7,000 mi, and I'm thinking if trying PR (F). (PRII ®) I was leaning toward a Pilot Road, but the Power is an option too.

Thanks,

I'm currently running a front PR and rear PR2 on my 1200RT. Although the rain performance and general handling is great, I'd avoid the PR on the front as mine howls like a banshee on most asphalt surfaces up to about 50 mph. So far, I've got 8,000 miles on the PR with about another 4,000 left 'til the wear bars.

Tom

On my ST, it was good for 5500 miles and they were done but, on this bike, I was after performance more than mileage.

Reports on the PR2 rear and 2CT front are upwards of 9k on a K12R so, with this, it appears we can get performance and mileage.

Now ya got me thinking about that; whats the diff between the PR2 front vs. the Pilot Power 2CT front? Shorter life but better traction? I see the tread design is different....

Now ya got me thinking about that; whats the diff between the PR2 front vs. the Pilot Power 2CT front? Shorter life but better traction? I see the tread design is different....

My personal opinion is that the PP 2CT is a bad joke for novice track riders. The soft compound is only on the last inch of the edge of the tread, which you probably won't be able to engage anyway on a touring bike, and on a really hot day they can get pretty gooey when you do get that low on the track.

The difference between the two is that the PP 2CT has the standard medium PP compound in the center, and a soft compound on the edges. The PR2 has the standard medium PP compound on the edges, and a harder compound in the center.

The standard medium compound PP's have more than adequate traction for sport touring bikes, and they are plenty adequate for novice level sportbike track use. The same can be said for PR2's.

Firefight911
The difference between the two is that the PP 2CT has the standard medium PP compound in the center, and a soft compound on the edges. The PR2 has the standard medium PP compound on the edges, and a harder compound in the center.

The standard medium compound PP's have more than adequate traction for sport touring bikes, and they are plenty adequate for novice level sportbike track use. The same can be said for PR2's.

The compound is one difference and I am a FIRM believer against race/track compound tires for the street. They are a waste of money. A proper track tire is affected by heat cycles and you, typically, can never get a track/race compound tire to operating temps on the street so understand that.

Now, that being said, the profile of the tires are different, The PP has a more triangulated profile compared to the PR2 which allows it to have a quicker/lighter turn in. This is what I am after when shopping different tires. It would be akin to the feeling one gets when mounting new tires of the exact same brand/model when the old set are worn out. Your first reaction is, "Wow!! That tire turns a lot easier than the old ones . . . "

The Z6, for example, has a very heavy, IMO, turn in and requires more effort to initiate a turn.

So, it isn't about compound so much as a feeling and characteristic of handling that I am looking for.

Oh I agree it's a bad idea to use race tires on the street as well. But both the PP and the PP 2CT are street tires. Michelin does make a PP race tire, but that's not what we're talking about.

I run a PR2 Rear and a Pilot Sport Front on my 1200ST.

Last time I did this I got 9000 from the front and 10k from the rear. The Pilot sport wears evenly all over down to 1mm should you want to use it all.

A Pilot road 2 on the front wears badly at 1/2 that milage. In fact I took it off as it was worn so outta shape.

The PR2 R and PS F is all I'd use at the moment.

hth

\v/

I run a PR2 Rear and a Pilot Sport Front on my 1200ST.

Last time I did this I got 9000 from the front and 10k from the rear. The Pilot sport wears evenly all over down to 1mm should you want to use it all.

A Pilot road 2 on the front wears badly at 1/2 that milage. In fact I took it off as it was worn so outta shape.

The PR2 R and PS F is all I'd use at the moment.

hth

\v/

Pilot Sport? So that'd be the same as a Pilot Power on this side of the pond?

I got a new Pilot Road II, so far it feels good around town, want to try and get it on the edge today. (Schedule permitting)

Archived