IGNORED

Point me in the right direction for Bar Backs (setbacks)

FLrider

Thinking I might like the position of my handle bars better if they were about 1" or so closer to me.

I've got an 1200 RT and looking for a product that looks stock and is well built.

Any suggestions? Also, do you know if you have to move cables or anything else to get these to work?

I don't mean to knock the wind out of your sails, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

If you wanted a laid back Gold Wing, why'd you buy an RT? I put bar-backs on my 1150RT, then I took a RideSmart class & learned how to ride it like it was designed to be ridden. Bar-backs came off the next weekend, & I was never happier till I got the 1200. And I kinda wish I was a little more forward.

I say work on your body position before changing the design of the bike.

If you want more info, PM me. I'll be glad to help you out. We can even meet somewhere & work on it.

Thinking I might like the position of my handle bars better if they were about 1" or so closer to me.

I've got an 1200 RT and looking for a product that looks stock and is well built.

Any suggestions? Also, do you know if you have to move cables or anything else to get these to work?

My $0.02: Ignore the commentary on your needs/desires -- made, I note, with zero knowledge of your circumstances and body shape.

I put barbaks on my R12RT not because I wanted a "laid-back" riding position, but because my arms are a bit on the short side, and I wanted to not be leaning forward too much for comfort. I have enough miles under my tires to know about the importance of propoer body training, posture, etc. None of that will cure a bike that is not *quite* the right shape for you.

Now, to the helpful part: :thumbsup:

Two options: Bar risers, such as Suburban's, which only move the bars up about 1", and bar backs from MotoTechniques which move the bars both up and back about 1". There are other suppliers out there, but these are the two I considered, based on previous experience with their quality. A quick google search will find both.

I went with the MotoTechniques barbaks. $70. No cable/wiring mods. The clutch hose is a a close fit, but there is still enough slack for full lock-to-lock movement without strain.

HTH

I have enough miles under my tires to know about the importance of propoer body training, posture, etc. None of that will cure a bike that is not *quite* the right shape for you.

Then don't buy it.

I have enough miles under my tires to know about the importance of propoer body training, posture, etc. None of that will cure a bike that is not *quite* the right shape for you.

Then don't buy it.

Great advice! So by your standard no one should buy ANY vehicle they perceive to be the best choice for them riding, just because the fit isn't "perfect" when they hit the showroom?? If that were the standard, dealers would sell less than 1% of the bikes they do now.

I'm not advocating buying a bike that there's no hope of ever getting to work for you -- but that's a far cry from a declaration that a bike shouldn't be modified at all, on the belief that anyone they can "train" themselves out of their discomfort.

I recognize that you were trying to be helpful (in fact, I was about to edit my response to acknowledge that, but you responded before I got back to it), but your response (i) didn't answer the OP's questions, and (ii) was frankly pretty dismissive of anyone that didn't adhere to your view on bike modification.

So, to the OP, try both approaches! To Huzband, let's focus on the being helpful bit -- no hard feelings at this end.

I put bar backs on my RT and I also have shorter arms than some. It made all the difference in the world and I love them.

Joe Frickin' Friday

I had barbacks on my 1100RT. Then I took the RidingSmart course, and realized that it would be easier to position my body for sportier riding if the barbacks weren't there.

I removed the barbacks for my next trip from Michigan down to the Smokies. Had a great time in the Smokies, but the slab-cruise down and back was considerably less comfortable than it had been with the barbacks. I promptly put the barbacks back on the bike. That was in 2004.

I got a new R1200RT this spring. I put barbacks on it.

To the OP: www.moto-techniques.com has what you need.

[

Two options: Bar risers, such as Suburban's, which only move the bars up about 1", and bar backs from MotoTechniques which move the bars both up and back about 1". There are other suppliers out there, but these are the two I considered, based on previous experience with their quality. A quick google search will find both.

I started with the Suburan version, and they are definitely more up than more back. The MotoTechniques are up and back. Suburban has a great return policy, the if they don't work for you send them back. When I call to return mine the recommended the Mototechniques as a solution that might work. I tried the Mototechniques and have had them since. Either one may work for you, I'd just try them 'til you find something you like.

Another suggestion from a personal fit perspective. After you've ridden several times with them, ride a few times without them. It will be clear then what works for *you*.

Based on the suggestions, I went to the mototechniques site and saw the risers. I guess you can't get just "back" because the plate that makes it go "back" is about 1" thick, hence the "up" part.

I've been riding long enough and have owned enough bikes to know what feels comfortable to me. I take comments, like the one from Huzband, with a grain of salt.

Thanks for the input.

Joe Frickin' Friday
Based on the suggestions, I went to the mototechniques site and saw the risers. I guess you can't get just "back" because the plate that makes it go "back" is about 1" thick, hence the "up" part.

Because the steering head is tilted back, you'll find that the net effect of their product is to move the bars mostly back (toward the rear of the bike) and very little up (toward the sky).

If the bar-backs will give you a more comfortable riding position, GO for IT. We are all built a bit differently and that affects CG and handling as well as rider postion ...

Dave R1100RT

I put the motortechiniques on my 2000 R1100RT after riding it a couple of months and feeling pressure on my wrists. After installing them, what a relief. Rode the rest of last fall with them on and felt very comfortable. Over the winter - read and learned some things about body position here. I'm 6'1" and arms are probably the arms that would be on a 6'1" guy. So, I took them off(barbacks) this spring....no issues at all...no pressure at all on my wrists.....in fact enjoyed more - the feeling of the bike. I think my issue was just getting use to the bike, adjusting my riding position...and now...don't miss them at all....like others have said....do what makes you feel comfortable...and if barbacks are it...go for it...but if you are new to the RT.....leave yourself open to riding the bike without them after a few months in the saddle....you never know....

I think it is pretty simple.

Your bike history suggests you are new to this style of ride and if you want barbacks- I say go for it and make it the bike comfortable for you.

The early comments on this thread represent a pretty unusual and judgmental position. One that is not often seen around here.

Go for it, ride your own ride and be happy.

Now... I have Moto Techniques. I used them for a year or so and the more I rode with them the less I needed them. I took them off but carried them in a zip lock bag when I went on long rides- just in case I wanted to put them back. I never did. I did invest some time in learning some body position alterations and after some retraining of this tired old frame I was more comfortable than when on my cruisers (20 years worth).

Your actual mileage may vary.

Archived