IGNORED

1100RT aftermarket passenger Floorboards

omaharj

Good morning! Yesterday afternoon the Missus and I went on a short (45 minute) ride. The ride went well and we both enjoyed it. Later when we were talking about riding, I asked why she didn't go more often as the BMW has a Corbin seat that's more comfortable than the Suzuki was. She said the pegs for the passenger were less than confidence inspiring for getting off and on. We are over 50 and she suffers from arthritus a bit. I searched but found no passenger peg upgrades that would work well. Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible to modify a driver Floorbord for the passenger? Is there any other options? (Before someone suggests trading her in for a newer model, she might be over my shoulder reading this. :eek:) Thanks for any ideas, RJ

Just noticed those are for the R12RT not the 1100. A&S lists a bunch of floor boards on their site, give them a call and see if they have something that works on the 1100

HERE'S one source. They have others listed on the site, but I didn't check them out.

Because the height is identical, I'm not really sure what the improvement would be, and in typical BMW style, they ain't cheap. Have you talked in detail about what your wife doesn't like about the pegs? They appear to be as secure as floorboards would be.

Are you holding the bike firmly upright so that her pegs are parallel to the street and not moving around?

If the only thing keeping my wife and I from riding together is getting on and off the bike, I would find some solution. There are really cheap, pretty small, folding step stools that could be easily strapped to the bike that may be a better and more cost effective solution. They may give her a height advantage over the pegs.

Thanks guys for the replies. Troy I had looked at that site and I hadn't found those floorboards. When you posted I looked again and closer. They DO have them for 1100RT passengers! Pretty pricy! That's at least a starting point. Hopefully a less expensive solution can be found. I've seen floorboards for well under $100 a pair on Ebay,just not BMW specific.

Vinnie,my wife has had multiple foot surgeries to go along with her artificial hip. That plus the arthritis makes a stable platform a must. The sideways pivot on the peg is tough on her foot to begin with,general stiffness makes it trickier. I"m unable to visualize a step stool set up that would work.(doesn't mean it won't-Just I can't see it)

I believe the part where she lifts her leg over the seat is the problem. We ride without the top case on. Thanks again, RJ

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FLOORBOARDS-HARLEY-HONDA-YAMAHA-SUZUKI-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ260424806191QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ca2872f2f&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1171%7C240%3A1318 Is this adaptable?

I found my floor boards on ebay and got them at a good price. Took me 6 months of looking but finally a pair showed up. FWIW

Thanks guys for the replies. Troy I had looked at that site and I hadn't found those floorboards. When you posted I looked again and closer. They DO have them for 1100RT passengers! Pretty pricy! That's at least a starting point. Hopefully a less expensive solution can be found. I've seen floorboards for well under $100 a pair on Ebay,just not BMW specific.

Vinnie,my wife has had multiple foot surgeries to go along with her artificial hip. That plus the arthritis makes a stable platform a must. The sideways pivot on the peg is tough on her foot to begin with,general stiffness makes it trickier. I"m unable to visualize a step stool set up that would work.(doesn't mean it won't-Just I can't see it)

I believe the part where she lifts her leg over the seat is the problem. We ride without the top case on. Thanks again, RJ

I was thinking something like THIS Thinking outside of the box of course. I could see making a simple carrying case strapped to your rear luggage rack. Your wife uses the stool to get on the bike. After boarding, she lifts it via a simple string or whatever tied to it, and then folds it up and slips it in the carrying case and your off. Haven't thought through getting off the bike, but I'm sure you can work out a system.

Just an idea.

Archived